PDA

View Full Version : Sea jay boats

jungleperch
30-10-2004, 07:15 PM
Hi has anyone got a seajay sp boat if so how dose it handle a bit of rough water :)

SeaJay
30-10-2004, 09:51 PM
jungleperch,

I have had a 4 yr old 4.75 m centre-console for a few months now and have been very happy with it. I originally bought it because the brand has had plenty of good reviews in terms of hull workmanship.

I've had it out offshore from Mooloolabah, Brisbane and the Gold Coast; including several trips through the South Passage bar; and reckon she handles great for her size.

SeaJay

Blue_Escape
31-10-2004, 02:31 PM
JP,
I've got a 4.55 Escape. I've found it ot be a great boat. The hull seems a lot bigger/deeper compared to many similar sized boats and handles the Bay chop well, going out through the Sea Way etc.

Cheers
Blue

Custaro
31-10-2004, 03:41 PM
i got a 4.55m SP with Yam 50 4s, so pretty much on the upper limit of recomended weight on the ass. short chop in rivers it stays on top of really well with comfy ride. moreton bay chop, not so great but not too bad either. your gonna get wet sitting down the back. have found using extended tiller arm and moving weight forward much better. also gives you better sight to pick your run which you can't do from the back. i have used it in keppel bay 15-20knts SE with 1.2- 1.4m sea. the performance was much better than the shorter sharp chop of moreton. i am very cautious of chop combined with wake following through into the boat if you pull up too quick. it's happened a few times but you know when it will happen and take the appropriate action to avoid it. the wide side decks are fantastic and should be all tin boats. they stiffen the boat and give you a great advantage when fitting out the boat with rod holders, electronics, electrics etc. have you seen the SP Pro? if your into casting lures, it has the normal bow deck replaced with wide decks to the nose and a nice patch of floor. but you lose a dry spot for life jackets and other bits and pieces that go under the nose.

good luck with the shopping!

vic

jungleperch
31-10-2004, 05:07 PM
I ended up buying the 435 seajay sp it looks like it should handle the ocean pritty well .I have already got a 420wide body dory made by quintrex but it dosen't handle the ocean real well and it lacks the room that the seajay sp has as the dory has two cross seats front and back.I also do most of my driving standing up with a tiller extension so there is realy no need for seats. Thanks for your time and your replys............Jungleperch..mission beach

dingodean69
31-10-2004, 06:01 PM
gday jp
i had an old old quintrex seamen that i took out side. in the end it couldnt handle the stress. i spent more time welding cracks than fishing :( looked at the wide body dory which had the same shape. ended up with a sea jay 4.3 magnum with double
gunwhale. put a full floor in it and inclosed the front. very happy with it. been out in some rough stuff. it seems to handle it very good. not as stable as the old girl but not as hard riding either.
if yours has the same shape as mine i think you will be happy
cheers
dean

spaniard
02-11-2004, 12:53 PM
J.P.
I have the 4.75 magnum. Had it probably 12mnths. At that stage I was looking at the quinie 4.6 dory, the sea J was a bit longer, cheaper, higher sided,and had a stronger transom which could take 60hp which the quinnie was 50hp. Heard a rumour quinnie have changed it to 60hp recently. As far as stringers and layout are concerned there pretty much the same. I know a lot of pro's use sea J up north and bash hell out them and they have them for 20 yrs or more. As for the ride, the bay is well known for its short , sharp chop and any ally boat around this size range is going to be uncomfortable . The main thing is making sure it doesn't fall apart whic you will have no problem with in the sea jay.

jungleperch
07-11-2004, 05:14 PM
I took the new seajay 435 sp out for it's first run today it has a 30 hp 3 cyc yamaha on the back and went very well .I had two adults and 2 children and a bit of gear and it cruised along nicely."VERY HAPPY" :)