PDA

View Full Version : GPS installation problems

philip_thomson
09-11-2004, 06:12 PM
well what an event. what was expected to be a walk in the park and a very simple event, took an entire day.
the task at hand was to install a garmin GPS 126 onto the dash board of the boat.

from step 1 it started to become a difficult task.
firstly the drill was to large to fit in the space between the window and dash so we had to drill from the underneath.
not realizing that the dash was actually 20mm thick, it took a long time and the holes didn;t line up.
deciding that mounting would be hard, dad decide to connect up the wires. while connecting them he touched both the black and the red power things with a spanner :o creating a spark. this blew the 30A fuse.we lost power to the radio, lights, bilge and all those other useful things. haivng absolutely no idea as to what a fuse looked like or were to look we decide that this would be expensive.

eventually got some self drilling screws and then after a lot of effort the gps was on the dash board. problem 1 solved. ;D

now for problem 2, i asked some people what was wrong with the power. everyone was giving me advice and evetually i found the problem a little green thing that looked like a piece of lego and not a fuse. the little wire inside had blown. went down to the servo and picked a new one up for $0.80 very cheap repair.

thanks to all those who gave me advice on the problem we really appreciate it alot. (we = me and dad) ;D

cheers phil

Heath
09-11-2004, 06:31 PM
Yes,

No matter how small the job may seem, always allow a whole day ;D ;D ;D ;D :P

Glad you got it sorted [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Black_Rat
10-11-2004, 03:38 AM
Good to see ya got it soughted out Phillip just in time for the weeks coming up ;)
I also blew a fuse when installing my VHF :( and didn't know it at the time. One should always isolate/disconnect the battery before wiring electrical devices [smiley=hammer.gif] ::) ;D
Damo.

Aaron_Fogarty
10-11-2004, 11:50 AM
The fuse got me to once.
I had installed a nice kenwood radio casette player into the console of the boat. Every thing in the boat is fuse protected so when the wee newphew decided to help me hose the boat down, on a nice sunny afternoon listening to some tunes from my new kenwood, he aimed it straight for the tapedeck the little "#$%ter. Well the tunes stopped and I feared the worst which was made a reality when I checked the switch panel fuse for the radio. It was fine so the radio was stuffed! I went out and replaced it with a marine stereo and give the stuffed kenwood to the young bloke over the road who had a stuffed out EH.........He reckoned he could fix it....I thought "mate Im an eleco and I know its rooted, your dreamin!!!!!!!

Well that afternoon the EH was rocken with the new kenwood pumpin! In disbelief I went over to see the miracal this 18 year old brickies labourer had pulled off.

He said to me "the small fuse on the back of the unit was blown I got another one from Auto cheap for 50 cents....Thanks for the radio mate"
2 fuses in the line.....expensive lesson
my tale
Aaron