PDA

View Full Version : Mounting an Outboard Motor

MAD-MIC
09-11-2004, 06:18 AM
Hi everyone,

I have a question for anyone who might know a fair bit about mounting outboards. I have never done this before, so I thought I would throw this scenario out there and see if anyone has any advice.

I am about to put a Tohatsu 50hp onto an aluminium pod I have had made up. For some reason, the "lip" which the motor will hang from on the pod is only about 50mm high and the "hook" or the arch on the outboard mount which sits over the lip is about 80mm which means that when the motor is sitting on the lip there will be about a 30mm gap between the top of the lip and the top of the arch, and I may be wrong but I assume that this point is load bearing. (I hope all of this is making sense so far). There are two bolts (one on each side) that can be done up on the hook, and there are four holes on the vertical that can mount bolts into the vertical (face) of the pod.

Question: Is it important to sit the motor fully on the lip of the pod (I would have to shorten the "hooks" so that it will sit flat on the lip) or is it ok to have this gap knowing that 4 bolts will hold the motor vertically on the pod anyway?

Anyone out there please help!!! I hope I have explained this with enough detail.

FLATHEAD1
09-11-2004, 06:25 AM
It is important that the cav plate is located level or just below the bottom of the hull. This is what determines at what height the motor is mounted. Check the manual.

The lip you talk of is not load bearing. The four mounting bolts take the weight. #

Measure twice. Drill once.

Cheers
FLATHEAD1

Aaron_Fogarty
09-11-2004, 07:11 AM
Flathead s right............. Ive probably fitted over 200 moters new and old from yammies to force, all distances from the cav plate to the "hooks" vary between diff. makes. The bolts take the weight. ensure you use a nice piece of marine ply between tho pod and outboard this will provide a sacrificial spacer between metal on metal. Use good quality marine silastic.
1 silastic ply to boat
2 lower moter with block and tackle into position
3 mark top two holes( measure twice drill once)
4 remove motor and drill top 2 holes
5 silastic around holes and bolts
6 lower motor and secure with bolts (double nuts on each bolt)
7 water test
8 all good, drill bottom holes and bolt
Somethin like that anyway
good luck Aaron

blaze
09-11-2004, 11:17 AM
IMO it would not be wise to water test a boat with the outboard bolted on with two bolts, every thing else I agree with
cheers
blaze

Aaron_Fogarty
09-11-2004, 01:01 PM
They are pretty strong bolts blaz?
Aaron

blaze
09-11-2004, 02:07 PM
Still stand by what I say, stainless bolts are quite brittle, just my thoughts
cheers
blaze

Outsider
09-11-2004, 02:59 PM
Mounting an outboard?

Try throwing your "leg" over....

Ba-boom ching!

Thank you....thank you very much.

NQCairns
09-11-2004, 03:43 PM
Outsider there is a pretty pre 20 year old girl on TV, for E-tec engines up here that rides one while it is being tilted.
It's a bit raunchy for me I close my eyes till it's over.... ;D

basserman
09-11-2004, 04:08 PM
gezz nq lander
sure bet the sales when through the roof with a ad like that!
they might just need to make it national ;)

NQCairns
09-11-2004, 06:18 PM
Nope not allowed to have it, it stays up here #;D, I just bought a new 80cm TV #and if you sit real close....[smiley=gorgeous.gif] [smiley=devil.gif] ;D ;D ;D

basserman
10-11-2004, 01:59 PM
bugger ya then if i'm not alowed it down here i might just need to come up their ;D
MMM Barra and that add what a mix! ;D

NQCairns
10-11-2004, 04:34 PM
Yeah Basser, better hurry!! all the girls are doing it up here at the moment ;) tried parking the 30hp tinny at the same beach but no takers, must have been the manual tilt that turned them off ;D