PDA

View Full Version : Near Disaster

Wello_Pete
03-11-2004, 06:10 AM
Several weeks ago now we left Cleveland Point in fine conditions. Just past the leads the overheat alarm sounded. Switched off motor immediately, then started investigation. Didn't have to look far, smoke was coming from under the cowl. With fire extinguisher at the ready, lifted the cowl to see the wiring has melted and on the point of catching fire, but luckily it didn't ignite. Secured a tow back to Cleveland.

It appears that the starter motor re-engaged at some stage which lead to short followed by an overheat, then a melt. Damage confined to wiring and electronics, but the price of spares and labour have led Suncorp to write-off the motor.

Cannot speak highly enough of Suncorp Insurance. They had an assessor appointed within a day of the repair quote being received, inspection within a few more days and definitive action within the week.

Now trying to decide if I'll replace the motor or sell the boat without motor so the new owner can add motor of their choice. Keep your eye's on the for sale section

Cheers

dfox
03-11-2004, 06:19 AM
Lucky one pete, a fire on board is very dangerous, especially on a petrol powered vessel...foxy

mini696
03-11-2004, 08:05 AM
The scariest thing on a boat is a fire at sea. There might be a lot of water around, but it doesn't help much.

I had home insurance through Suncorp and had nothing but good experiences with them. I'm glad to hear a positive result came from a horrible incident.

searaider
04-11-2004, 02:27 PM
Geday Wello_Pete ,
Bit of a bummer with the fused motor . At least you got back OK .
What Type , Size & Age was the motor ???

Peter
Searaider 2

Wello_Pete
05-11-2004, 07:03 AM
Hi Searaider 2

The motor is/was a Mercury 40hp 2 stroke, bought new in 1999 with about 120 hours behind a Quintrex 455 Escape. The mechanic and insurance assessor believe the motor is still sound, just all the electrics and electronics need replacing. The overall cost of replacing parts, plus labour, was enough for them to write the motor off

Cheers

FishFrame
07-11-2004, 06:09 PM
this just reminded me (again! :o) to get a fire extinguisher for the Quinnie!

Wello_Pete
09-11-2004, 07:27 AM
The incident had nothing whatsoever to do with the Quintrex. It was a freak incident only that could happen anywhere, anytime, but thankfully is most unusual. There was no damage to the boat or to the rest of the motor, only to the electrics and electronics. The overheat alarm gave us early warning, as it should

Cheers

aido
10-11-2004, 03:08 PM
glad to hear you won't be out of pocket,
;D ;D ;D

Wello_Pete
11-11-2004, 09:58 AM
Hi Aido

Not quite. The motor was insured for the new price in 1999. The same new motor in 2004 is about $1,000 extra. What has really amazed me is the difference in price between various dealers. Quotes for exactly the same motor, plus fitting, have varied by $650. It pays to shop around

Cheers

Aaron_Fogarty
11-11-2004, 10:09 AM
Thats a pretty good change over price.If you bought your 99 40 to me for a trade to a new model you would have been be lookin at more than $1000 change over. Your comin out on top dont worry!
Regards Aaron