PDA

View Full Version : Boating and fishing safety and ettiquette

bignick
17-10-2004, 07:57 PM
With these pristine waterways we enjoy in our back yard and with all the education and training that is available, it never ceases to amaze me the number of boofheads that drive boats around. Many is the time I have almost hit another boat; not in little secluded spots where nobody goes but in very popular spots which would be considered high boat traffic areas. And the reason for this is dangerously simple; these people will sit in an area in the pitch dark with NO LIGHTS ON. They will sit at Peel or Mud Island in the dead of night with no moon (ie. 10 shades darker than a crow) with either no lights or a tiny light at their feet. You wouldn't drive your car down the street at night with no lights on. From a 19foot boat, you can't see a 12foot tinny in those circumstances until you are right on top of them. The occupants can see what they're doing in their boat, but I can't see them. They could see and hear me coming and they don't warn of their presence. I had a near-miss at Mud Island 1 morning in the dark and the single occupant of the other boat jumped up yelling abuse at me; he was asleep with no-one else on board awake to keep watch. It's also amazing how, if you're fishing on a spot, people will park literally right on top of you. They will catch your line or your anchor rope or try drifting and bump into you on their way past; they pass so close I can easily read their sounder as they go by. This only leads to tension and nobody catches fish. I've had people see me catch a fish and up anchor and drift down next to me and drop their anchor right next to me. Then they say,"I'm not in your way am I mate?", which is usually replied to with a quick suggestion on manners. It seems that too many people don't know the rules or just couldn't care less and this makes for bad and/or unsafe boating. These practices seem to be more prevalent in Moreton Bay, but, believe me, it happens outside as well. It's scary how many of the people who carry on like this have kids on board. Interested to hear any other opinions on this matter as it is an area that needs fixing up straight away before someone gets hurt or worse.

Cheers,
BIGNICK.

ali
17-10-2004, 09:04 PM
Big nick, there'll always be boofhoods out there and unfortunately our leaders don't usually do anything until a fatality or similar occurs, I'm a sydney sider and I don't really ever remember a safer #boating ad campaign, look at all the road safety advertisements we get. By the way the biggest pains I,ve come across are those jet ski's, I really hate them. #regards stiffrod!

Maverick79
18-10-2004, 02:41 AM
I know what u mean going out to mud abit we always see (will try to) atleast 6 boats sitting with no lights on. How stupid are these idits ???

The last time I went to Harry's, I was pulling up fish, there where around ten other boats around not getting any. Guess what within five minutes of doing this I had ten boats sitting on me god this shits me.........no one likes sitting in trafic jams so why do people obsess with sitting right on you just because ur getting a couple of fish at one intance

I think we should have a 20 to 25m restriction around mored boats unless other wise permited by yourself.

I dont know about everyone else im here to relax not sit in traffic

nhoj
18-10-2004, 05:14 AM
I usually like to drift when I am fishing and I always ensure that I am not drifting anywhere near anchored boats. As soon as you catch a fish though, all the boats move and anchor right where you were drifting. Try and do the same drift again and as soon as you get near these boats that have relocated they start abusing you. Usually you can then go over and drift where they were originally and start catching fish. This confuses them.
nhoj.

Glug
18-10-2004, 08:28 AM
Poblem with no lights is no active policing, then when an accident does happen no extra resources are given to help solve the problem, just more restrictions are slapped onto the guys doing the right thing. The idiots still go their on doing what they like. Even if you reported their location there would be no one to check them out.

wessel
18-10-2004, 09:33 AM
I am from the other side of the pond, but hell, it gives me the sh%ts when some idiot pulls up where you are catching fish and proceeds to make a mess of the anchor line. I will cut your anchor line mate, and you can the fork out the money for a new replacement anchor. Lesson learned I hope.
Don't come with that " i will punch your face in crap"
I have a 158th dan in streetfighting and a masters degree in curry cooking. My farts melt tinnies at 30 yards easy and is considered a toxic substance dangerous to health up to 100 yards:)

Some other mistakes I have made myself includes:

We were drifting out in the deep water a few months back and forgot to switch on our overhead light warning others of our presence. Never ever will I make that mistake again. We were nearly rammed by a 300 meter oil tanker - Talk about a wake up call:)
Entirely our own fault and a bloody dangerous mistake to make - you know about the saying of having your heart jumping out your throat.... I know that feeling now and is not a nice feeling at all.

The other one that springs to mind was this nagging little 8 year old brat on my mates boat. Two families out enjoying the day and the brat just had to steer the boat. We hooked a big one and the brat on my mates boat steered towards us to come and take a closer look. Nobody was standing next to the kid to watch what he was doing - right up close the kid throws the boat in full throttle "accidentally". Luckily I was watching him and gunned our boat out of the way with centimeters to spare as he passed us.

Learn the rules, have the safety gear, service your equipment and finally -
Stay the hell away from others and respect their "personal space".

Time for my medication again - hope yous "dow under" had a good weekends fishing.

Wessel

redspeckle
18-10-2004, 01:16 PM
i brought this subject up in Bush and Beach few years ago this subject makes me very >:( >:( >:( the pricks out there in their boat too F#%king lazying to put their lights on fear of their boat motor won"t start in the morning i have nearly clean up other boats out there in navigation channels, behind islands,been fishing out of night time hear boat motors but no lights and all so it makes it hard to navigate when you are looking for navgation lights against township lights ongoing to cross a busy shipping channel with the pricks no lights on.
Its but also i blame boat manufactures where the put their nav & anchor lights when some of the boats are on a plane cannot see their nav lights & thier piddly litte anchor light
people have this attuide the we can see them but we can't on this subject i don't see the water police out their of a night time they make forturne behind Green, Mud, Peel, Harrys , and any where else on the bay + navigation ch4annels but its going to take a few bad accidents & deaths before they start partolling of a night time
i could on and on again more on this topic this will do for now

skelz
18-10-2004, 02:22 PM
Iam always amazed on what happen at boat ramps. i thought fishing/boating was a pleasure activity but people carry onb like need to get in water as a matter of life and death cutting in on people and the like...

Volvo
18-10-2004, 05:45 PM
:)Some mothers Do Av Em ey lol, and where would life be without em lol...Sooo maybe one or both parties should try preplan for such emergancies prior ta going out Boating/Fishing..
Little yarn, on one occasion Missus and i were anchored off Masthead Island..Finished our Fishin n decided ta get the head down :)..
Set Anchor Alarms on both the sounder and the GPS(Just incase)...
Somewhere's during the night i thought i could hear n outboard close by??, didnt take much notice of it at first , till the noise persisted so hopped outa the cot for a squizz :o..
Feck!! here's this dingbat no mare than three , maybe four foot from the front of my Rig.. No feckin lights on whatsoever >:(..
He was Blowflying, feck he could see there was no-one out back fishing and woulda been only too happy ta give him our possy if he wanted it...But what the Feckwit managed to do in the process was cut through my anchor rope with his prop >:(....
After callin him a Mullakka!!!, Pousti!!! and whatever the noggin could think of both Anchor Alarms went of to let me know the boat was drifting :o....
Always carry two extra Anchors onboard for different areas of Anchoring, and extra rope so the night was saved..
Hadnt i woken up the Anchor Alarms woulda woken me....
Guess what i'm tryin at say is one has to make allowances for these Dullsparks and preplan for such events as the above..
Travelling at night???, short or long distances??..Dont leave it solely up to your GPS/plotter ta show you where your going thinking the coast is clear all the way to where your going...Stick your noggin out the hatch/canopy on a regular basis and make sure the coast is clear ahead..
If one can afford a boat , they can afford the extra battery and so forth....
Anyhow i think iv'e made a point lol so i wont bring up other occasions lol..
Common sense is all it takes :)..
Cheers

Chrisso
18-10-2004, 06:02 PM
The worlds problems over all time have been described in one word - GREED.

Australia and the world as a place is becoming angry, stressed out, negative, mean, impatient and irresponsible - INDIVIDUALS BLAMING OTHER PEOPLE. (to name only a few #:( )

What ever happened to manners, care, and MATESHIP - LOOKING AFTER ONE-ANOTHER (SPECIALLY SAFETY). #???

You could blame the lightbulb, but there seems to be people (many people that is) who CHOOSE to be inconsiderate of others.

However, it's probably best to try and not show anger - history shows disagreements escalate # :'( - another way of dealing with the problem must be found. #???

A sad time when the world has come to this! #:'( #:'( #:'(

bignick
18-10-2004, 09:58 PM
There seems to be this attitude of "I'm going to my spot and that's it." They don't seem to worry if someone else is on "their" spot. They'll just go and park right on top of him. Many is the time I've gone to fish a particular spot only to find that, on arrival, somebody else has beaten me to it. No point in worrying about it, that's just the way it goes. So, I go and find somewhere else to fish. I did this one overcast and rainy afternoon at Peel Island. Got there and a bloke was on my spot; oh well. Tide was coming in, so I sat South of the Spot in the hope of swinging around towards it as the tide turned. A few other boats rolled up to join in the fun. Not much was happenning until the slack between tides when I caught 3 nice Snapper in 30 minutes, then they went off the bite. Nobody else got anything. Just goes to show that you can still have a bit of a win if you just be a little bit flexible.

Cheers,
BIGNICK.

Aaron_Fogarty
19-10-2004, 06:22 AM
boys
Peel, Mud, Green, Middle of the Bay,Maloolooba Ive had them pull up within 20ft of me and drop the anchor. My standard response is a calm "hey mate ya wanna fish in my boat" this usually gets a confused look or a mumbled "what do you mean". Then I give it to them calmly once again. "well you may as well, your close enough" this has a 90% success rate of them pulling anchor and moving on. Try it!

the Times ive spat the dummy in my younger years never paid off.
One ended up in an oar jousting match down the pin.

The second I was by myself off maloolooba and 5 young block heads after running over my Floatbaits and copping a gob full, folowed me back to the ramp for a 5 on 1 boxing match.Lucky I had the mobile and had mates in the Area to even the numbers and calm the situation.....so losing it doesnt help. Now if the problem persists, i just pull anchor and move on...every thing does the full circle.
Regards Aaron

Regards Aaron

bignick
19-10-2004, 06:38 PM
Yes, Aaron, it's sometimes best to leave the idiots (for want of a far more accurate description) to fight among themselves over the crumbs.I just cannot fathom why, with such a huge ocean to fish in, these people have to come and sit right on top of you. I don't think there needs to be a hard and fast distance that you have to be away from another boat; it should be a matter of courtesy and common sense.
Boat ramp behaviour is another matter altogether. Absolutely no courtesy or manners exists at public ramps; of that I am quite sure. Firstly, why buy a boat if you can't back a trailer? If you do, why not learn how to back it before hitting the boat ramp on a busy Sunday? Go to either a large shopping centre carpark when it's closed or to the ramp in a quiet time. It will save a lot of dramas on the busy days. Get the boat ready at home before you go so there is a minimum rigging time at the ramp and know where this is to be done once at the ramp. There is nothing worse than waiting in line at the ramp to watch a bloke back his boat down to the water, only to get out of his car and start packing the boat right there on the ramp. At retrieval time, have the trailer ready to be backed down and the boat to be put on. Once on and secure, get off the ramp as soon as possible and go to an area well away from the ramp to prepare the boat for the trip home. Once this is all done. you're on your way. Knowing what you're doing makes for an easier, more enjoyable day's boating for all concerned. Bad practices at the boat ramp lead to frustration and RAMP RAGE, and, believe me, RAMP RAGE is very real. I know a lot of what I have said is common sense, but it is amazing how many people don't have the foggiest idea of the do's and don'ts at a boat ramp.

Cheers,
BIGNICK.
P.S. I really can't believe the number of people who own a boat and can't back a trailer properly. I have 2 mates that fit into this category and both refuse assistance in learnig how to do it.

jimbob
20-10-2004, 11:02 AM
I witnessed 3 blokes coming in at pt carwright in a small runabout. The skipper seemed to trying to show off seeing how much air he could get in the sloppy NE chop well coming arround the corner on the eastern tip the boat dug in and threw one of his crew. I can assure you he was far from impressed you could hear the abuse from the rock wall. Its fools like this that cause accidents. I think allot of people think that because its on water they are going to have a softer landing.

Sportfish_5
20-10-2004, 12:26 PM
Further to nick's comments about ramps - this specifically applies to my usual launch ramp at Spinnaker Sound but am sure it applies to other ramps with tight spaces for reversing down. There is nothing worse than people after retreiving their boats driving 2 metres off the ramp to start unloading and tieing down their boats. FFS go and park away from where everyone is trying to reverse you idiots :-X :-X

Feeling better now ::)

Cheers,

Greg

damons33
20-10-2004, 12:51 PM
well you got to move with the times!
bentley makes a lovely 24" stainless steel pump shotty, this seems to calm the hottest of hot heads.
or do what i do and dont even bother fishing in areas that have boats around in sight of you and if ppl are around always lift your fish discreetly into the the boat via the motor well or other side gunnel to the people around you and if they ask what it was, hold up one of your clubbed out grinners and say "nah, just another grinner!"
remember 99% of ppl are all bluff! and talk shit!
# damo'- ps,that one percent must be me? lol
8)

skippa
20-10-2004, 04:00 PM
Go to any ramp, Raby Bay, Reddie Bay or where ever, best days are the weekends and take your video camera. You won't be there long before you have enough to go on Funniest Home Videos. ;D

Some people just have no idea. Bloke on the lane beside me at Raby Bay one day was struggling to launch his 12 ft tinnie off his old home made trailer. kept pushing from the bow but the tinnie wouldn't budge. Launched my 17fter, single handed, he just looked at me in amazement.

Couldn't watch any longer, 'hey mate, ur motor has to be up to launch ur boat ' ;)
Each time he pushed, the motor just dug into the ramp jaming the boat on the trailer. ::)

Cheers,
Tony 8)
PS this was after a 10 minute reversing session ::)

The_Walrus
20-10-2004, 09:22 PM
If the water police are worried about paying overtime for night policing, I rekon they'd make a fortune instead.

They should try Caloundra during the bream run. The number of boats anchored and moving with no lights defies descriptions. 4 strokes are the worst as you can barely hear them coming. Having your nav lights and anchor light on is no garantee that some of these idiots will actually see you.

Luc

Aaron_Fogarty
21-10-2004, 06:40 AM
Good point Luc. Gone are the days of hearing the rattally 2 stroke approaching and flashing your tourch to show your position ,with the new 4 strokes even on the calmest nights they are impossible to hear coming. Having been a devoted club fisherman myself for 10 years, Caloundra in June July and August would have to be the worst place in south east Qld for no lights.If you die hard night fisherman are concerned with spooking the fish you can purchase large xyluum chemical sticks in red, positioned ABOVE the gunnel they give off enough light. They are still not legal but at least it will give approaching boaties an idea of your position.
Just a suggestion its better than the alternative!
Regards Aaron

nictim
21-10-2004, 07:53 AM
Hi Big Nic
They have no idea, I fish Palm Beach Reef during the Mack season the last 2 seasons I have fished with a Pro the weekends are the best you get 60-100 boats out there at 4-5am first in best spot jig for your lives set out 2 under balloons set another 4 floating pillies great all setup kick back and wait for a run, ½ hour later some dick head comes cruising over the top off your balloons tries to anchor up next to you ( we sware throw sinkers they get the message and move on ) anyone anchor’s up to close I always set my drag lite for Mack’s so I just let them run boy it cuts anchor rope quick off they drift less one reef pick their mornings fishing is over .
Cheers Steve

mini696
21-10-2004, 09:41 AM
Whenever I am launching my boat I always prepare it away from the ramp, and ensure all I have to do when I'm holding everyone else up is unhook the winch and start the motor... This makes everyone happy.

If you cant reverse well enough do go on the ramp. Even ask someone else to help. #I once had an old man who could reverse like a legend, but this day he had a neck brace on and couldn't turn his neck to see the ramp. #So he offered to hold my boat while I reversed his boat in. #I got a bucket full of livies from him too. Unexpected and unasked for... The best presents.

If your on a busy ramp, dont go in the middle, reverse down one of the sides please!!

About the anchoring near other people. I always leave 30m from anyone I am near. I only pick that number because it comes up in a lot of the boating laws anyway. #If someone parks on top of me I usually give them the shits as much as I can. I'll cast over the top of them... "Opps sorry guys, didn't see you there", If its dark enough I'll pull out the slingshot and fire nuts at them (the sharp ones off the trees with speghetti like leaves, about the size of a marble). #These hurt and scare the shit out of you when its dark and you cant see where they are coming from.

As for young drivers. I think the laws are completly wrong. #If you are in charge of a motor vehicle you should have a licence, I don't see any difference between a boat or a car in this regard. #If your son wants a drive, you should always be right next to him (even control the throttle).

You've hit a nerve with all fisherboatmen... I think if there was more policing it would be better. #But I dont like being policed by the normal "pigs". #I believe in Karma and Mob Justice.

I could keep going, but I have to go take one of my Chill-Pills!! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

PS. The rules state the anchor light must be 360deg. This means if you stand up and block it, its illegal. Same with your nav lights, if you can see both together (except for straight on) its illegal too. Boat manufacturers don't necessarly install lights in legal positions.

Oh and change direction to the correct side guys... Its not the fking road, read your rules, and learn which side of the channel you should pass on!!

Rowdy_2002
21-10-2004, 09:53 AM
You can go down to the Wello Point boat ramp almost any night and there will be a few boats heading out or back in with no lights. Seems they think that if you are only going out just past the leads then you don't need lights. I am always amazed at how they have no cares for their own safety or that of their passengers.

mini696
21-10-2004, 09:54 AM
I probably shouldn't put this in writing... So Fking sue me!!

I was sailing out the mouth of Mooloola one morning for a race, and some idiot on the breakwater cast his lure onto my boat and it got wrapped around my sheet (thats a rope which pulls the big white flappy thing in). He was dancing on the wall, saying "thats a new lure, please be careful"?

CAREFUL!! ??

When you deliberatly cast it onto MY boat?? No fking way bud.

Tick one up on my board... I still have that lure!!

But thats not what I shouldn't be typing.... That is....
I was anchored one night and dickboy came and anchored so close to me that at time we were so close I could smell the crabs between his legs... He was all "This is my spot, you shold go away".... He even threatened to cut my anchor line...

So I got him first... My mate slipped into the water while I was drawing attention to myself (pissing off the back of the boat towards the other guy), and my mate went down his anchor line lifted it, then wrapped the rope around it so it floated 0.5m above the bottom. Bye Bye, see you down the creek!!

Of course he could have cut it, but that only creates tension. After all it was pretty obvious who did it!!

Zeeke
21-10-2004, 10:34 AM
Doing alot of lure fishing, i see alot of this kind of activity, people fishing too close, Fleabrained Boaties new on the water who rush around following everyone who gets a bite.. when i first got my boat, i did 95% of my fishing at night to avoid the rush, i know the rivers like the back of my hand and know trap spots where other boaties will get stuck.. during the day, ill zoom up and down the creeks like a mad man.. but at night, i wont go above knots.. i know them well, but.. i aint risking my life and the person on my boats life because some halfwit dropped a crabpot or 200 in the middle of the main channels.. or anchored up in a dark corner of a channel with no lights.. which is all too common on maroochy river.. its a very dark river at night.. only lighting on the water is close to town..

right now my boat is in the proccess of being prepped for repainting, once its done, ill be fitting a pair of BLA docking lights to the front of my boat.. they are marine headlights for your boat.. come with 30ft of wire and a aluminated rocker switch.. bout $76... i reckon they are a bloody good idea if you want safety for lighting up the waterways at night.. ofcourse, you'd wanna use them with common sense, turn them off if another boat is approaching to avoid blinding them, you still have navlights!! .. dont shine them into the eyes of other boaties and so on.. but i reckon they are a good idea

Tim

Zeeke
21-10-2004, 10:37 AM
Picture of Docking Lights

Rowdy_2002
21-10-2004, 10:40 AM
Boating Ettiquette is just having manners, showing courtesy to other boat users. There is a percentage of boat users who think of no one but themselves. I can think of many occasions when I have been waiting to reverse my boat down the ramp to launch and some DH drives up in his boat and leaves it sit thir on the ramp while he gets the car. So waiting waiting waiting.... Now hes gone and ready to back down and another comes up and does the same...... The same goes when returning from a day fishing. Drive up and cant get into the ramp cos someones reversing their boat down so you wait just out from the ramp.... Finally he leaves after messing around for 10 minutes paking the car, then trying to start the boat, getting everyone on board..... Now we can get in. No way! Another car drives into the carpark and reverses straight down. Doesn't even look to see if anyone is waiting....
The list goes on.....
It's not in any rule book but it's just common courtesy. Wait your turn. Be ready to go when it is and we will all have a good day.....

Bowser
22-10-2004, 05:02 AM
There is no such thing as boat ramp etiquette from what I have experienced. I usually launch from Wello point and the things you come across there are enough to make your hair stand on end. I pulled up there early one morning and this dh had parked his car and trailer in the middle of the road, not on the ramp and not in the rigging bay, but in the middle of the road and on the near side of the ramp. He was happily rigging his boat and was offended that I suggested he should park in the bay. Claimed there was plenty of room to manoeuvre round his boat. I would have loved to have done so “accidentally” hooking his motor and driving off. It would have taken him no time at all to drive forward another 10 metres and be in the bay when he pulled up and been in no ones way. Another day at Victoria point east ramp there was three idiots in those inflatable speedboats pulled up in line. One was working on his engine and the others stood around watching. They were placed right across the ramp in such a position as to make it impossible to get on to the ramp. They spent 15 minutes before deciding to launch, and don’t get me on about PWC dh’s!!!! With any luck the government will build them their own ramp to clog up.

Just a point on reversing, a mate of mine was taught to reverse in the army years ago when he did nasho. They told him not to turn around and look over his shoulder but to use his wing mirrors. The reversal of the view by the mirrors makes it more natural to steer the trailer. I hadn’t backed a trailer for 15 years or more and it only took me 3 trips to get it right using this method. I find that you can watch both wheels of the trailer and line them up so that they are equidistant to both sides of the side of the car and you back straight down. It helps to have power mirrors to change the angle as you go over the hump on to the ramp.

Tight lines.

mini696
22-10-2004, 06:24 AM
I find it difficult to reverse using my mirrors. I turn around and guide myself down using pinpoint marks to make sure I'm going straight. I always go slow too.

I keep checking my mirrors to position the wheels of the trailer, but not to actually reverse.

This way does create problems if you cant see the trailer when you turn around tho.

Each to their own I guess.

Sportfish_5
22-10-2004, 12:58 PM
Bowser - Youre spot on about only backing with mirrors. Thats the same way my old man taught me to back his boat and rubbishdump trailer (ahh the local tip - now there is another funny place to watch morons try and back. ;D

Cheers

Greg

basserman
22-10-2004, 01:47 PM
yeh well haveing a truck as a lively hood and also as you tow vechial it makes you quickly learn to reverse ;D
it sure does make you laugh some times and cry others!
the ones that make me do both are those ones where they undo everything to hit the water and then hit thier brakes and have the boaty glide off but man how many times have you seen this but they end up short and then needing body work!

i agree but i hate those tossers out there that ether get the boat ready while blocking the boat ramp or those ones that pack the boat while bloking it or the ONE that ticks me off more is the old timers that think they own the ramp and park the boat blocking a lane while they go to the cleaning table and clean their tub full of fish (mainly flowerpots so they look like they have a full tub)
as for anchoring up i have never really had any of those problem down here as we don't see that much traffic all the time ;D

moondancer
23-10-2004, 12:02 PM
One problem with this thread : we're (I assume!!) all speaking to the converted - it's the other dh's that need to be in on this! I've seen my fair share of just about every idiocy mentioned here so far. My first reaction is to get stroppy and want to teach them a lesson, then I need time to cool down and remember exactly why I'm out fishing ......breathe......calm......relax.....breathing is still good.....calm the mind...relax the body...breathe some more....

AND SOMETIMES IT JUST GETS THE F%#%N BETTER OF ME!!!!

Reckon we need some special 'Ausfish' code for when an idiot plays up on us, and we can radio each other and all quickly gather round them for a little chat!! Just say the word........

Lawry

Chrisso
23-10-2004, 05:10 PM
Unfortunately may take a bit to think of a KEYWORD other than AUSFISH for an organised CHAT.

Got one for a organised chat to trailor thieves - "Aus-trailor"

Get it, Australia, oh well best I've got. ::) lol

Probably better to sink a tinny Lawry, or throw a few lures around to let off the steem. ;D

Regards

Chris

bignick
05-11-2004, 04:52 PM
If people think that I'm just up on my high horse about boating safety, read Bill Corten's article in this month's (November, 2004) Bush 'n' Beach magazine. If this doesn't highlight the dangers and possible subsequent consequences of unsafe practices on the water, I don't know what does. It just goes to show that you don't just have to be mindful of what you are doing, but you also need to be constantly vigilant and to make allowances for the for the sheer stupidity and ignorance of those we share the waters with.

Cheers,
BIGNICK.

FishFrame
07-11-2004, 05:42 PM
Your right, bignick. Further more, because we all seem to know what rules to follow, abd because there appears to be no books out there on boating/fishing etiquette, we probably need to lead by example.

For example, brother and I always drop to 6kts or less when passing anchored fishos (obvious really and courteous). If their new to boating and you repeat this behaviour regularly, they'll probably get it. We have also (gently) pointed out the rigging bays at ramps to obvious newcomers (and been ready to bugger off if they take offence ;D!). Patience is bloody difficult when u have the perfect outing planned, but I reckon showing them by our adherence to the rules, our helpful and friendly manner, and our willingness to teach others will do what other methods have failed to do - get the point across!

If all that touchy-feely stuff fails, then u kick them in the nuts ;)

bignick
08-11-2004, 03:21 AM
Fair point, Fishframe. Most people, especially "newbies", will be quite receptive to a bit of gentle persuasion and guidance when delivered in the correct manner. However, at the other end of the spectrum, lurks the bane of every boatie on earth; the garden variety RETARD. This creature believes the whole world revolves around him and all other lesser mortals should bow in his presence and hope that he farts so we can wallow in his limitless wisdom. He owns the road, the ramp, the carpark, all the fishing spots and the water itself. Because he has the flash vehicle, the flash fishing gear and the flash boat with all the buttons, whistles, hooters and dancing girls, he is the MAN. What a bunch of CRAP!! He only seems to respond to "guidance" delivered with a goodly dose of insults and profanity or stuffing up and being embarrassed in front of his mates. However, before launching into such a tirade, make sure you have numbers on your side. These people need to be taken swimming with a Holden red motor tied around their necks. Mannners play a big part in this whole boating caper; it's a shame so many people forget to pack their manners before they leave home.

Cheers,
BIGNICK

bidkev
08-11-2004, 01:04 PM
<snip>

P.S. I really can't believe the number of people who own a boat and can't back a trailer properly. I have 2 mates that fit into this category and both refuse assistance in learnig how to do it.

Mate, there may actually be a very real reason why some folk can't do this. Admitted, they shouldn't be holding up other folk, but their failure to acheive competence in this may have nothing to do with the "lazy or stupid factor".

I have reversed for years via looking over my shoulder with absolutely no probs whatsoever, but now my back is knackered I can no longer do this. I have tried and tried to learn reversing via the mirrors but it took ages and I still get it wrong a lot of the time. I only launch at ramps where I can get the boat lined up before I reverse. I honestly believe that in some folks the failure to acheive can be due to "sensory issues" in that their "brain wiring" doesn't handle reverse images. People with poor motor skills are also more likely to over-steer. I know for a fact that some folk with other sensory issues (related to autism, OCD, or some other disorder which they may not even be aware that they have), and who most of the time present as "normal", have tremendous difficulty with things that come simply to others.

I am content to guide my deckie whilst she does the trailering :-)

My biggest gripe at ramps is those who whilst waiting to leave for their grounds after de-trailering, beach right up to the ramp and bugger off back to their car so that anyone launching after them has to drag their boat around the back of theirs. "When launched, move away from ramp" should be taught as standard procedure at licensing schools.

cheers

kev

MAD-MIC
09-11-2004, 09:38 AM
Bignick,

I would rather use a FORD motor, as a red holden motor would be a waste ;D ;D :P

crazymorton
09-11-2004, 06:21 PM
well i just bought my first boat and now i'm scared shitless of doing all these wrong things :-/
so if you see a big bald man messing up on the ramp or in the bay..............please be gentle :P
i sure do hope i never piss any of you guys off....
sound like road rage has transferrred to the ramps & water

bungie
10-11-2004, 02:03 AM
Crazymorton,

All the above are cured with just a little courtesy and fore thought :) Dont worry and enjoy your new found life style :)

mini696
10-11-2004, 05:20 AM
Yeah, we are a friendly bunch. Honest.

Just take advise, ask for help, and don't repeat a mistake if someone has pointed it out to you previously.

I will offer (or send my deckie) to help someone who is having trouble on the ramp if my boat is ready to go. So if I see a bald man having trouble on the ramp I'll go help him. ;D

Ramp rage only occurs to the, tryhard, pain in the butt, "I know everything", idiots.

FishFrame
10-11-2004, 05:47 AM
Don't panic Crazymorton! Ramp/Boat rage is usually confined to the people being complained about in this thread! We all remember our first nerve-racking reverse down the ramp only to find that we hadn't removed the boat strap or put the bungs in :o (in my case, brother and I drove a fair way bow-up while water poured into the bung holes :-[).

As bignick said, simple manners will save the day. Most of us are only too willing to help out and are not rude enough to be impatient. My advice: relax. You'll be fine. If you think yr going to need help, look around and find someone who knows what they're doing and ask for advice.

It only takes 2 launches to become a pro ;) !

bidkev
10-11-2004, 07:22 AM
Don't worry Crazymorton. Most of the venting is done here as opposed to at the ramps.

A simple solution is to do as I do........get the deckie to launch, then if anything goes wrong.....she cops the flack :-)

Seriously though, they're a great bunch of guys here and I'm sure that if you encounter anyone here at the ramps, they'll treat you with much more respect than the thread seems to infer. We all have to learn sometimes and the overall tone of the thread is that if you're prepared to listen and learn, then you'll be ok.

As has been said, it's the ones who simply don't give a shit that get up everyone's nose. Unfortunately, many of these are the older ones (who are the first to criticise youth) who think they can lay claim to the ramps. That said, it pays to not forget that as you get older, you do slow down a bit, and what may seem to be downright bloody mindedness, may simply be the effects of ageing.

When I was younger I was very intolerant but now I realise that getting pissed off at others can only help to spoil your day. So I'm a bit late getting in or out of the water.....so what? Enjoy the sport. The ramp is your first and last impression of the day that you're supposed to be enjoying. The idiots who don't observe safety, or whilst you're at anchor they pass within a couple of metres at 40 knotts........They're a different matter......now I save my cursing for them :-)

cheers

kev

crazymorton
10-11-2004, 06:24 PM
;thx guys............from my short time on here everyone has been very helpful.....i really am lookng forward to getting out amongst it...
hoping to collect boat this week or early next then my plan is to take a week off work and practice everything during the week when im assuming the ramps might be quieter or at least less rushed....
so look out Cleveland ramp here i come....
::)

Maverick79
11-11-2004, 12:11 PM
I still think there needs to be a ban on how close other boats can come to yours maybe 15-20m Would solve a lot of problems

bidkev
11-11-2004, 05:23 PM
I still think there needs to be a ban on how close other boats can come to yours maybe 15-20m #Would solve a lot of problems

Not if it's the Tangalooma Ferry!!!!! :-)