PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Coatings - What Am I?

Needmorerum
02-11-2004, 06:11 PM
When I bought the new boat, the trailer had been replaced with a new drive on job, it has a coating on it that is tan/brown in colour. Obviously for rust control. The coating is like a jelly/grease when touched. It doesn't leave any film on the water when submerged, I would like to put some more on the places that it is wearing off.
Anyone know what this is, otherwise, what do people do to protect their trailer.

Corry

Zeeke
02-11-2004, 06:31 PM
sounds like Lanolin Grease

Tim

NQCairns
03-11-2004, 08:09 AM
Or Fisholine.
nq

Payneful
03-11-2004, 08:21 AM
Or Tectyl

Sam

moondancer
03-11-2004, 10:41 AM
Why don't you ask the guy you bought it from? Probaly one of the three mantioned allready. I've heard the lanolin based one is best.

Needmorerum
03-11-2004, 05:25 PM
The guy I bought it from is no longer in town, has moved out west, hence him taking the much lower than asked for price and not being happy about it. His loss, he didn't have to take the offer, I was already on my way to the boat show to buy a brand spanker.
The reception I got during the last phone call before picking it up from his girlfriends place, definately didn't scream "Give me a call if you have any questions".
I have a number of questions that I would liike to ask him so I am trying to find the piece of paper I had with his mobile number on it.
Anyway, thanks for the replies, I will have a look at the Lanolin and put some of that on.

Corry

Aaron_Fogarty
04-11-2004, 08:22 AM
There are a variety of products on the market and Ive just about tried them all. From lanotec to tectyl to sump oil..Some last longer than others and some collect more shit than others.They all inhibit rust allthough all a bit messy.A mate of mine swares by a product called blackjack I think they use it in 4wd for underbody rust proofing. Check it out!

As you know trailers arnt built to last or we would never have to buy a new one. What all of us do is try to make the old one last as long as possible...What do you reckon boys ......WHAT DO YOU PUT ON YOUR TRAILER????????
Curious Aaron

Needmorerum
05-11-2004, 07:02 PM
I have gotton onto the bloke I bought it from. The coating is called "Enzis Fluid" (spelling). Apparantly, this has to be applied more often than allot of others, but is bought here at our Shell Distributor for $25 per 5 litres.
The material that is covering the bolt heads and roller bolts is called Soft Seal, this is the same gear that we use at work for covering hydraulic lines and hoses that are under water or in harsh environments.
Let us know if you use something different, and how you get whatever you use, up the inside of the chassis rails.

Corry

Aaron_Fogarty
06-11-2004, 06:55 AM
Mate Ive sprayed that lonotec through a beaver style spray gun before it seemsd to get it into every nook and cranny OK and its thin enough to spray....Ive tried the arishol cans but they dont have the pressure to get right in..
Regards Aaron

NQCairns
06-11-2004, 01:18 PM
Correy, What about a thin length of irrigation hose bent and clamped at the end with a couple of holes, would need something to pump the fluid.nq

Needmorerum
07-11-2004, 05:01 PM
I think your on the money there nq. That's the only way I could think of doing it also. I have a Holley Red electric fuel pump that I was going to try, not sure if it will pump thicker liquids though. I guess I'll find out.
I'm not sure if anyone actually trys to protect the inside of their trailer, may just concentrate on the outside.

Corry

NQCairns
08-11-2004, 04:54 AM
Hi Corry I think protecting the inside is worth it (if only for the internal portion of the welds) although I would use a cold gal (can be thinned with turps fairly well), just for longevity then follow up every now and then with some more, the problem for me would be rigging up some bodgey way to spray the liquid 2 metres + up a steel pipe without spending $500 dollars to do it as well as 4 hours of my time. Been thinking about it myself what about ruining a garden sprayer? or filling the irrigation pipe with the liquid then forcing 70+ psi of compressed air in the open end to jet the liquid out? I think if you tried the Holley (high volume low pressure pump)it would only give 8-12 odd psi at best only enough for a dribble. If you do attempt it and work something easy out let us know please, if a non gal trailer stays coated they can last for ever.nq

devocean
13-11-2004, 05:58 AM
I have found the best stuff on the market for trailer protection is xtroll. Be careful when doing inside your trailer. Had a mate who did it with this sealer type stuff and there was salt inside which got trapped by the sealer which eventually ate away his trailer from the iside so make sure you give it a good wash. By the way if you are using xtroll dont use it in your carport as it stains pretty much everything like a 15 yera old boy. (Buy xtroll from hardware store)

Cheers Devocean

murrayscod
14-11-2004, 04:10 PM
hmm i take the easy option and use some of the litres of sump oil in our shed, seems to do ok, however im launching in freshwater mainly.

BladeRunner
15-11-2004, 07:55 AM
Corry
All this work & no play .
How are you? caught any fish lately. You will have to take me out in your new boat
I know a spot or two at Rundel Island If the esky not blooded yet.
Let me know when and I shall see me way clear .
Regards
BladeRunner [smiley=bandana.gif]

notts_so
15-11-2004, 08:18 AM
PUT ON YOUR TRAILER??
Curious Aaron
A boat lol
notts so