PDA

View Full Version : Canopy advice????

Aaron_Fogarty
11-11-2004, 10:02 AM
Now Im In the process of deciding what canopy to buy or design, build for the 5.3 open tinnie......Tiller steer F80hp Yammy.

I`ll be back in brissie for the xmas period before heading to Darwin and was looking for referals for a good fair priced trimmer.(I heard it gets hot fishin up there?)

You can buy pre made canopies but the quality isn,t that flash. I ve custom made a couple before but the time and effort isnt worth the extra bucks.

I need a bimini that is as least resrictive as possible but provides some shade in that midday sun. Ive seen angled straps.(the canopy can be lifted up and down easily but the straps limit space when the canopy is up) Front fixed style.Quinnie style(fixed at the front with another alum. bar .Good space aft....But a pain in the butt for raising and lowering quickly)and Center fixed riggid canopy this can be raised and lowered for traveling but never out of the way to fight big palagics.

Maybe the canopy delema is here to haunt us all ...we love them when its pissin rain and blazin sun but hate them when travelin or fishin.

Open 5.3 What do ya reckon?You blokes that live up that way what have you got?
Help Me!
Aaron

whichway
15-11-2004, 02:44 PM
Rowland St Boat Trimmers did a great job on my boat, whether they are the cheapest around I don't know - the only thing is there is quite a waiting list.

Regards

Whichway

Big_Kev
15-11-2004, 03:05 PM
I'll back up on Rowland street boat trimmers.
They did a great job on my boat and the price was not an issue when it is done just like you want. 8)

Aaron_Fogarty
16-11-2004, 05:41 AM
Roland street trimmers guys..Have you got a name and a suburb.??
Thanks Aaron

Rowdy_2002
16-11-2004, 09:27 AM
Rowland St Boat Trimmers IS their name and they are at Springwood

craigie
17-11-2004, 06:40 AM
Aaron,

I've seen a few Canopy's built by Rowland St and they are excellent quality, but no better quality than Brisbane Boat Trim at Brendale.
Give Justin a ring on 3889 9266 to discuss you options.

Attached is a pic of my rig with new Canopy built by Justin, although not exactly what your after, it gives an idea of the build quality. Price was very reasonable too 8)

Cheers
Craig.

craigie
17-11-2004, 08:23 AM
It's built as solid as a rock and able to be towed erect along the highway.

Aaron_Fogarty
17-11-2004, 09:52 AM
Do they do Northside Marines and sportfish (NOBLE)s trimming????
Aaron

Aaron_Fogarty
17-11-2004, 09:59 AM
Nice canopy. If I can see right there is a fixed stainless wire at the front and a solid angled pipe at the back. Does it stow out of the way? which way does it fold? towards the stern?Can you stand under it?How much did it set you back?
Aaron

craigie
17-11-2004, 10:27 AM
Aaron,
To your first question, Yes, Justin (Brisbane Boat Trim) has the contract to do the Canopy/Bimini For the Nobles.

With my Canopy, Yes it does have a stainless cable attached at each side on the front and a solid pipe at the rear.
I have set it up as a fixture and I decide on the day (depending on what style of fishing is planned) to either leave it on or take it off. It's secured at 3 points on each side of the boat and does not require a screw driver for removal.
My request was for more a "Ski Boat" style canopy to give shade while in a seated position for travelling or bait fishing as I have plenty of space in the Bow and Stern if I need to stand and fight a fish.

Price may have been more negotiable but as it was exactly what I wanted, I was happy with the quote of $500.

Justin has a heap of work lined up (Trade & Public), so book in as early as possible.
The canopy's are made from top quality products, inc heavy duty tube and the best available fabrics.
No I'm not associated with the company, just a happy customer :D

Cheers
Craig.

Sportfish_5
17-11-2004, 12:18 PM
Nice job there Craig ;D ;D

Got my boat booked in to have some padded coamings fitted (ala Nobles). I'll second Justin's work - top value, top quality. He is a very busy boy.

Cheers

Greg

Aaron_Fogarty
17-11-2004, 12:24 PM
Thanks craig,
I had a sportsfish built and trimmed by Justin once before. I ll go and talk to him. 500 s fair money also, it would cost me 3 or 4 hundred to do it on the cheap bending the poles and building the frame.....Done it before and for the extra hunjy its not worth the muckin around.
Thanks Aaron