PDA

View Full Version : Honda 30 ??????

steveb
17-11-2004, 05:12 PM
Ive resently (3mths ago) brought a Honda 30 manual start, no frills. But still a nice outfit.
I am having a lot of trouble getting her started (10 to 20 pulls) at the begining of each session/trip, once she run, its no probelm, Ive tryed running it dry in case the fuel gets a bit sad, but as its only 1-2 weeks between trips I dont think this is a issue, the plug gap is find and clean, has anyone any advice on this???????
Next the specs tell it can charge 12V/4amp, The 1st rectifier had no DC output at all, but the AC side at about 1000-1100 rpm had 11.5-11.95 Volts. The 2nd rectifier tests at about .3 to .4 volts DC output at the same rpm (approx) and AC is still 11.5 -11.95.
My thinking is that the rectifier shouldn't drop the volts that much AC to DC,????? I hope some has some ideas/help, because the best i got from the dealers service guy was that this model has a crap charge system. I dont want a full 4 amps, but 2 to 2.5 would be good as a battery trickle charge for what I need.

steveb

Racegun
18-11-2004, 05:13 PM
I know its probably an odd chance but I rememberthat if i didnt have my old Honda 30 electric start on the correct starting throttle position on the tiller , I could turn it over till the cows came home and it wouldnt start, especially when cold or after sitting fishing for a few hours . Consult ya manual just in case. Hope this helps...

SeaHunt
19-11-2004, 09:12 AM
If it runs fine once it does start, I would suggest it is a fuel problem , either too much or not enough when you are trying to start it. Check fuel line and connectors for leaks or cracks that might let air in. Does it have a manual choke?

Glug
19-11-2004, 10:04 AM
Don't trust sparking plugs, some times even new ones fail after a few days. It is always cheaper to change the sparking plug first as you should have a spare one any way. They some times spark around the centre pole and insulation instead of jumping the gap. If that happens you can get hard starting, they run some times for a few seconds before finaly starting after many pulls.

Aaron_Fogarty
19-11-2004, 12:31 PM
make sure you pump your fuel line hard before starting. This will rule out "not enough fuel" It should start in 3 or 4 pulls.
Aaron

steveb
19-11-2004, 04:40 PM
No manual choke, and the fuel in line is hard as rock after afew pumps, the s/plugs will have to be next, although wouldn't it run a bit rough if the plugs/plug aren't firing right, Fellows any ideas about the charging side.
thanks for the input.
steveb