PDA

View Full Version : Honda 40

mon
20-11-2004, 01:28 PM
Hey people, I have a Honda 40 4 stroke, done 140 hours. The last couple of times I've been I've had a problem restarting her.
Hadn't used it for 6 weeks and it started first time and went like a dream, but after stopping for ten minutes it wouldn't restart and when it did splutterd and run rough for a couple of minutes.
Got it home washed the boat and it restarted again perfectly for the flush. (same story 6 weeks ago)
So it's like only when its hot!
Any ideas.

Cheers, MON.

Doomy
20-11-2004, 05:32 PM
I've got a new Merc doing the same thing mon.

I don't think it's heat now because I was up a creek luring for 30 mins and when I went to leave it played up. Got out into main creek and drifted for a while and restarted and it went fine.

Originally the dealer said it was a faulty breather valve but I just think it dodgy electronics.
Being a electrician I've seen some weird ass things when it comes to electrical faults and they can be a nightmare to track down.

beatle
21-11-2004, 01:03 AM
I had the same trouble with my Honda 40, would not start after it had been running for a while. Not very pleasent when your drifting down a breakwall with a fast running tide. My Honda is a forward steer not tiller and I have found when I have this problem I lift the idle/rev. control arm halfway up and it starts every time. So far I am very happy with the Honda their fuel economy is unbelievable.-Beatle [smiley=beatnik.gif] [smiley=beatnik.gif]

Spaniard_King
21-11-2004, 02:05 AM
Hi,

good chance you have water in ya fuel :-/

At the bottom of each carby there is a drain pipe with a small screw in the vacinity, use a flat blade screwdriver to unsrew the screw until fuel flows out. This will drain the water as well.

Only a small amount of water will cause you problems. 4 strokes are so economical they use tiny orifices to meter the fuel in the carby, water will block these up.

I am down on the goldy if I can be of anymore assistance, also Honda certified ;)

mon
22-11-2004, 06:36 AM
Thanks for the advice Spaniard. I'll have a look next week, if needed I'll be in contact.

Cheers, MON.

devocean
22-11-2004, 07:25 AM
Some one told me if you are buying a four stroke you want to use it pretty regularly or else they become hard to start . The more you use them the better so that might be your problem.

Devocean