PDA

View Full Version : is the brown band merc 84 the same as marina

yalla
15-11-2004, 07:14 AM
i seen a red banded mariner is it the same as a brown banded 84 merc they have exact same shape just want o know as maybe i should grab that motor as i will have spares for it then

NQCairns
15-11-2004, 07:47 AM
Yalla go here www.iboats.com go to the forums then to the mercury and mariner repair forum and ask the Q there.
You should find out exactly what you need to know, keep bumping your post up until you get some joy.
From the little I know red/blue bands were dogs brown were decent enough. The difference with regard to your Q is probably electrics/carbie more so than mechanical, those at iboats should know for sure. good luck nq

Oldyella
21-11-2004, 03:40 PM
A 'Brownband" Merc is a 1984 year and is the same as a Mariner only black. "Bluebands" are not neccessarily "dogs" as any Blueband later than 1980 is EXACTLY the same up to around 1986 as the brown and reds. There were issues with pre-1978 Bluebands where the drive shaft is not stainless steel and can fuse with the crankshaft if neglected and some NEVER come out. Also, they are a bit prone to water-cover corrosion if used in salt and not maintained.
Your motor has a "Coilpack" ignition system which is common to most OB's before they became direct injected. Go to iboats and talk to the Mercsters there.. you may find me there sometimes by the name of "Unicorn".

yalla
22-11-2004, 05:44 PM
thanks guys i been on iboats now a lil bit i put the question in