PDA

View Full Version : Hornet - creases in hull?

keen_as_mustard
22-11-2004, 11:12 AM
I am looking at buying 435 Hornet Trophy (1999 model) and when I checked one out I noticed the bottom of the hull had a couple of creases in it - approximately below the supports for the front casting deck. These creases ran from the centre of the boat out to the sides. I was told this is common with Hornets.

Is this the case and is it something to be concerned about (the boat performed well on the water)?

Any opinions greatly appreciated.

Big_Kev
22-11-2004, 03:06 PM
Do you have a pic of the crease.
Without trying to upset the Quinny People.
Hornet owners here have querried porpoising when on the plane.
I have read of some problems in the build process Quintrex had to the formation of the bottom sheets of the hull.
Cheers Kev. :)

gunna
23-11-2004, 10:32 AM
Here it is again for you all.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/board/YaBB.cgi?board=Boats;action=display;num=1090848720 ;start=

I might add - since I posted this ages back I now regularly fish with a Hornet owner. His boat has porpoised badly ever since new. He has recently changed the motor height & reckons its heaps better now. Not sure if fully fixed though - I haven't been in it since it was done.

ANYFISH
23-11-2004, 02:11 PM
gday mate
how big are the creases in the hull?

if they are only small (about 10-20 mm wide and 3mm high) and in line with the casting deck i recken it would be from welding a bit of sheet ally in there for reinforcement on the deck.

it is not a worry and cannot usually be avoided when welding ally sheet with the m.i.g. welders.

i own a quinny and it has those creases along the transome where it has been braced on the inside..
hope this clears things up.

anyfish

ali
23-11-2004, 07:59 PM
sorry to change the subject but what does porpoising mean?

gofishin
24-11-2004, 02:50 AM
Marty, this vintage hornet would have had 2mm bottoms. from memory it was a couple of years ago that they changed to 3mm in the 435's.

a mate had one (he bought 2nd hand), & although they are unsightly, they aren't anything to worry about. when he sold it a couple of years ago they still looked the same. as you say, they are situated where the ribs & inside supports are for the casting platform. 2mm was obviously not quite enough to resist slight deformation from waves thumping the front section, hence the creases

gunna
24-11-2004, 06:26 AM
sorry to change the subject but what does porpoising mean?

From the boating dictionary #"porpoising -
hopping across the surface of the water like a porpoise as a result of bad design, improper trim or poor weight distribution"

Stiffrod - imagine you are planing across a mirror like surface in a dam & the boat is bouncing up & down as though you are going over foot high waves. #Thats porpoising.

keen_as_mustard
24-11-2004, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the replies. The creases are a bit higher than 3mm but are more a rounded edge than a hard edge. As gofishin said, they are unslightly but the boat still performs well - I did not notice any porpoising when I drove it.

Thanks again