PDA

View Full Version : warranty work troble

billy7
23-11-2004, 02:20 PM
Gday fellas i am just wandering if anyone else has had trouble getting warranty work done on there boat motors when they have brought there motor out of town. If so what did you do.
billy

Big_Kev
23-11-2004, 03:01 PM
Thats one of the problems with buying from someone not close by.
They will not be keen at all to do the work as they have to chase the money and do paperwork etc.
This is one of the points to consider when trying to save money buying elsewhere and consider if it is worth it.

SeaHunt
24-11-2004, 07:07 AM
If they are a Brand X dealer they are obliged to do warranty repairs for that brand, regardless of where you bought it.
It is the same with car dealers.
Write or phone up the Australian headquarters for that Brand eg. Mercury Australia, and complain. If they refuse to do warranty repairs then they will lose their Authorised dealer status with that company.
They are just being scungey bastards, because there is nothing in it for them.

drb
24-11-2004, 09:14 AM
I think if you are willing to go out of town to save a few bucks you should not expect the local bloke to go out of his way to do your warranty work. Take it back to where you bought it. If you have just moved to an area or are there on holidays etc then I think the dealer should have no problems.

do you take you motor to this dealer for services as well?

Dazz

billy7
24-11-2004, 01:54 PM
the dealer has been doing my service work for years.I brought out of town because the saving was to great not to a couple of thousand dollars better off in my pocket then theres

Big_Kev
24-11-2004, 04:59 PM
Another thing is,
you may consider it a warrantable repair, but it would actualy not be covered by the factory warranty.
And if the dealer sold you the motor he will just do it in good will.

Sportfish_5
24-11-2004, 05:39 PM
Would be good to get someone from one of the local dealers to advise on how warranty in this instance works. In my line of work (mining/earthmoving equipment) a lot of so called "warranty" work is taken in the hip pocket by dealers who have taken out a warranty allocation from the sale of the unit to cover occassions when the factory won't come to the party and the dealer wishes to keep "good will" with the customer. OEM warranty policy is very strict plus the dealer may only be getting a flat rate for reimbursment for labour etc. I can sort of understand if that is the case with Merc or Yammie or whoever then the dealer may not be keen to get stung himself especially when he did not sell you the outboard and has his allocation etc.

Having said that if the repair is a genuine warranty repair you are entittled to have it carried out and I would be going straight to the local OEM rep to have the issue sorted ASAP.

Cheers

Greg

NQCairns
24-11-2004, 05:53 PM
Reel Hard, what you speak there ??? ;D

Billy7 I think your situation stinks, take it on the chin and find another smaller marine business possibly an owner operator (mobile guy?).
I would never grace the floor of his shop again, even if it meant two 4 hour tows (you could plan a fishing trip before coming home on the pickup run), these penny anti mafia style operators really shit me off. >:( >:(

Big_Kev
25-11-2004, 04:42 PM
NQ what I am trying to say is that not all repairs the customer wants will be covered by the factory warranty.
And that if the dealer sells the motor he will be happy to do the non warrantable repairs in good stead for a good customer.
But if you bought the engine off another dealer he will not want to do it, as he will not be getting anything at all for the effort.
Cheers Kev. :)