PDA

View Full Version : Help! Few Problems That Need Fixing

DaneCross
17-11-2004, 11:49 AM
Gday all,
My boat was playing up a bit down at the 'pin on Saturday. The most concerning problem was, half way through the day it started having trouble idling (ticking over in neutral). It ran fine while moving and at higher revs, but when dropped back to neutral, would only last 10sec - 1min before cutting out - seemingly due to low revs. It wasn't 'spluttering' as such, just dieing down and conking out.
One other incident, which I don't believe is related (but perhaps is :-/), was while we were up on the plane the fuel line became dislodged from where it attaches to the outboard causing the engine to die in full flight. After re-attaching and priming she started and off we went.
Last but not least was the ignition key was getting 'stuck' on 'Start' as opposed to springing back to 'Run'. So the starter motor would still be kicking while the motor was running. This never happened for long as we could hear it and it was just a matter of turning it back to run. It's just used to happen automatically... could this be as simple as giving it a spray with some spray oil of some description? I don't want to stuff the ignition by spraying something in there that's not supposed to be there.
I should add that the boat is booked in at Springwood Marine but not until next week, I'll probably be taking it out on the weekend and was just after some advice to get me through ;)
Cheers,
Dane

ba229
17-11-2004, 12:06 PM
I'll be in your neighbourhood on the weekend with $500 cash if you are interested? ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sorry couldn't help my self.

Personally i see no problem with spraying a bit of inox or similar in the ignition but i am sure we will be told not to do it :-)

Aaron_Fogarty
17-11-2004, 12:15 PM
Take a mobile phone with you this weekend with the airsea rescues number. Or Take 1/2 a carton (cold) for some one to give you a tow back to the ramp....... Ha HA Sorry

Mate take it to a mechanic Gary at Westside boating is one of the best in the bussiness. He ll sought you out...

With those big marine workshops you got the 16 Year old Appy cleaning your carbies and servicing your motor. Not for me thank you! Your paying for a mechanic you want a mechanic.

Good luck Aaron

jimbob
17-11-2004, 12:36 PM
Mate Im a Locksmith you can spray the ignition with spray something like Inox or Tri Flow just make sure it is silicone based not graphite. We spray ignitions all the time here just be careful not to over do it. If that doesn't work there will more than likely be a broken spring in her. If thats the case either bring the boat down or if you can pull it appart we will have a look at it for you. we are at Milton. You can give me a call 38713855 or PM me. But hopefully the spray will fix it.
Cheers Jamie
PS We do good prices for Aus Fish Members

Heath
17-11-2004, 02:13 PM
Take a mobile phone with you this weekend with the airsea rescues number. Or Take 1/2 a carton (cold) for some one to give you a tow back to the ramp....... Ha HA Sorry

Mate take it to a mechanic Gary at Westside boating is one of the best in the bussiness. He ll sought you out...

With those big marine workshops you got the 16 Year old Appy cleaning your carbies and servicing your motor. Not for me thank you! Your paying for a mechanic you want a mechanic.

Good luck Aaron

So who do you get to fix your donk in 10 years time???

I'm sure if you ask Garry at Westside boating, he'd been one of those 16 year olds cleaning carbies many moons ago.

jimnbob
17-11-2004, 04:15 PM
Aaron

I don't have a problem with "appy" working on my motor/vehicle, because as Heath commented Garry at one stage was an "appy." The thing that annoys me is that the particular businesses who use the "appy's" to do the work, don't check that the job has been done 1) correctly, 2) completely, and 3) that other potential faults have not been identified.

I could identify a Brisbane Ford dealer from the metro area who gave me absolute c$$p service, enough for me never to buy another one.

Repair job on water pump - electric fans not reconnected.
Advised have wheel alignment - 1 week later tyre shop refused as D/S front wheel bearing shot.
Repair electrics (key curtesy ligh remained on) - fixed fault, but then clock didn'n work.
Do you want more?

Jim (ex ford driver) and Bob (the deckie)

Big_Kev
17-11-2004, 05:12 PM
That'll teach you for buying a Ford.

The fuel line problem might cause the poor idle Dane but it will be a matter of try it again with it connected correctly.
Otherwise I would think it may need a look at by the mechanic.
I will third the Inox for the lock as well.
Cheers Kev. 8)

DaneCross
18-11-2004, 06:44 AM
Thanks for the replies fellas.
Cheers Aaron, I'll keep the carton in mind, that's if we don't drink it ourselves ;) As for Springwood Marine, I've never had any problems with them, always thorough, helpful and even knock a bit off the price (as I'm on a pension) [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
Jamie, thanks for the offer, I'll break out the INOX and if that doesn't work I'll be up to see you ;) :)
Kev, I was hoping to get a reply from you, I value your opinion. She'll get a good going over before heading out Saturday (fingers crossed) - starting with the fuel line.
Cheers,
Dane

Jeremy
18-11-2004, 06:55 AM
Dane,

I had similar problems to what you described after some heavy rain like what we had last week back in Febraury. Had similar problems to what you described which got worse and worse through the day, until I could not longer start it and had to get a tow back in. As Aaron said, I would not be taking it out again until it is fixed unless you want to get towed back.

In my case, it was water in the carbies, and I am guessing that this is what has happened to yours. Good cleanout and fit good quality water-seperating fuel filter.

Jeremy

Aaron_Fogarty
18-11-2004, 11:09 AM
Apprentice s at work
Busy Workshop boys means the appys work isnt checked alot of the time. personal experiences.
1. two bottom moter mount bolts not sickaflexed. Water test no problem. First trip over nighter at peel nearly became an artificial reef
myself. (dealer "sorry bout that mate")
2. stator plate bolts not fitted under the cowl. "sorry bout that mate"
3. no water pumping after service. (forgot to fit the lower plate to the pump) "sorry bout that too mate"

Im not blaming the appy I was an ordinary one myself for years but some of these places are charging 50, 60 dollars an hour for labour.
All Im saying if your paying top dollar you want top service,Thats fair isnt it?
regards Aaron

dnej
18-11-2004, 11:38 AM
DC, how long had your boat been idle , before you used it the last time ?
When did you last fit a set of plugs? How old was your fuel? Do you have an under floor fuel tank?
David

DaneCross
18-11-2004, 12:44 PM
David,
It had been about 5 weeks since it had been running. It had a full service about 15-20hrs max before that. I have an under floor tank which had about 40L of fuel sitting in it over that 5 weeks, then put another 20L of 'fresh' fuel in before leaving that morning.
What are your thoughts?
Dane

dnej
18-11-2004, 01:04 PM
Firstly, Under floor tanks are bad for condensation .
Secondly, I had the same problem. Had a service done then the idling situation.

Had to adjust had idle revs, on the water,(not in any tank), firstly, then had to make the mix richer, by adjusting the idle jets. Counter clockwise should do that for you.

I dont allow them to touch the adjustment anymore.
I use new fuel, after each run, and cerainly not after 30 days.
How many cylinders on your motor?
Should not be doing what it is doing, after a service, but unless the idle is adjusted on the water, you can have problems, as the exhaust is under the water,and changes things somewhat. Try new fuel first.
David

DaneCross
18-11-2004, 03:16 PM
Cheers David, your suggestions are much appreciated. It's getting it's going over tomorrow arvo so I'll give some feedback on how I went after I give it a run.
Thanks again,
Dane

DaneCross
19-11-2004, 05:08 PM
Problem seems to be worse than initially suspected - water coming from somewhere it shouldn't be, can't give exact details because I had my ol' man do the once-over and I wasn't there to see it. So weekend trip cancelled and I'll leave it to the lads at Springwood Marine to fix it up. A bit disheartening because its never cheap and doesn't really sound like a 'simple' problem... fingers crossed...
DC

Aaron_Fogarty
20-11-2004, 05:42 AM
DC
Make sure you WRITE DOWN what you have already checked so they dont charge you for chasing potential faults you have already ruled out. Just telling the girl on the desk and her short hand doesnt cutt it (chinese whispers).Get them to staple that to your job card so the mechanic knows exactly where hes at and where to start.
Cheers Aaron

DaneCross
20-11-2004, 10:06 AM
Cheers Aaron, shall do #[smiley=thumbsup.gif] I know its justified, but I don't like paying for, exactly what you say, time to find the problem. It's so open to their discretion by, how well they know your engine, how it is supposed to run and how fast they work. They charge enough for parts and labour don't they? :-/
DC

Aaron_Fogarty
20-11-2004, 11:40 AM
DC
Where I was working we were 45 an hour and we were one of the cheapest around the area. Having worked in a workshop (on the other side of the coin) you would get many fault finding jobs with only half the info.So you have to charge an hours labour for trying to figure out what the customer has played with. My favourite question "OK now be honest, whats the last thing you touched" No 1 Tip for fault finding.
regards
Aaron

PinHead
22-11-2004, 02:24 AM
When the customer has a fiddle himself...you can be sure the fault is going to be harder to find. Have had that happen many times in my game..customer thinks they know more than the tradesman...but all they really know is enough to get them into trouble and cost them more money.

bungie
22-11-2004, 04:35 AM
Problem seems to be worse than initially suspected - water coming from somewhere it shouldn't be,
DC

As in from the outboard somewhere, or there is water in the fuel system ?

DaneCross
22-11-2004, 06:14 AM
Bungie, as in from the outboard somewhere :-/ ??? Will find out Wednesday. I'm already spewin I missed some good conditions yesterday, I hope the problem isn't too big, I hope to be back on the water next weekend.
Dane

bungie
22-11-2004, 03:16 PM
ohh ok :), the only reason I asked is because the vent in some under floor tanks dont have the little bit of mesh over the breather holes. This lets water back into the tank.

DaneCross
27-11-2004, 10:38 AM
Don't usually like reviving older threads but just to give some feedback - the stalling/running rough came from a partially blocked carby causing the 4th cilinder to run 'lean'. The guys down there at Springwood Marine are flat out and were doubting whether they'd have it done by the weekend, but they came through with the goods after I told them I was damn keen to get out on Saturday ;) They're good lads [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] ;D So I'm pretty happy, the boats running again :D I'm fishing again :D but the bank accounts empty again :'(
See yas out there!
DC

rakinray
27-11-2004, 12:59 PM
G/ day dane seems like a pretty good result considering it could have been much worst and you only missed one week end got to be happy with that ! see ya out there mate !

CHEERS RAY ;D

Big_Kev
28-11-2004, 09:43 AM
Blocked carb, I would say your fuel filtration system is not good enough. :)
Cheers Kev.