PDA

View Full Version : Suncorp Vs Club Marine - What do you think?

drevil
16-11-2004, 10:01 AM
Just going through working out the best way to insure my new rig before it arrives next week.

I was looking at Suncorp as their rates seem reasonable, but the dealer that I am buying the boat from can offer Club Marine at virtually the same deal (rate & excess).

I have never had to make a claim before, so was wondering about everyone's experience in dealing with either company.

DNO40
16-11-2004, 11:15 AM
I believe that both are pretty good, although I have been with Club Marine for as long as Iv'e had boats. Suncorp does not send you a boaty Mag every month !

Volvo
16-11-2004, 11:28 AM
:)Mate , was with Club marine for yonks n the feckers just gettin too dear so swapped over with Suncorp..So far , best thing i did..Cheaper for sure ;)..
Cheers

propdinger
16-11-2004, 12:20 PM
i was with club marine but like alot of others i changed due to price but i have never had to claim but a mate had no probs with club marine replacing his prop and gear box when he claimed within a few weeks it was all sorted

jeff

bj
16-11-2004, 04:31 PM
Mate, for what it is worth,I had my first boat insured with Club Marine, and had a small claim, only for a s/s prop and was refused the claim. Maybe I was too honest. Changed over to Suncorp where I have all of my insurances, houses cars and boats and other things. Have had only one marine claim, theft of a fixed mounted sounder and Suncorp paid up without any problems at all. Wrote off an expensive Landcruiser and also had that finalised with no problem, plus other claims for various things over the years with no problems. Very satisifed with them. One other thing to look at I`m a member of the Hervey Bay Boat Club and I save another 20% because of being a member of that club,and for $27 for the first year and $11 a year after that why not join up and save a few more dollars.I am also a member of Redlands Boat club and they were trying to get similar discounts for there members, not sure how that ended up. Hope it helps.

Big_Kev
16-11-2004, 04:40 PM
I am back with Suncorp.
I have a policy with an excess and that keeps the cost down, as I look after my boat, it is garaged and I have never made a claim. Have saved thousands this way over the years.
The Club mag is good to read, but the Corp had the better deal with other policy discounts applied.
Cheers Kev.

charleville
16-11-2004, 06:25 PM
I was with Clum Marine but changed to RACQ because of price. Big difference in price.

DR
17-11-2004, 03:54 AM
I am with Suncorp.
couple of months ago i hit a submerged object, destroyed gearbox & prop. Suncorp approved & faxed through the authority over the phone, had boat back within week of accident.
like reehard i keep premiums down by taking bigger excess

drevil
17-11-2004, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I will go with Suncorp - their prices seem pretty good and so far I haven't heard any negative feedback, so I reckon that works for me. :)

CamH
17-11-2004, 08:24 AM
I had my old boat insured with Suncorp and was going to go with them for the new one but thought I'd check out the Club Marine price. Without any exageration the club marine price was almost exactly half. I thought it was pretty Unbelievable but the club marine people explained how Suncorp are "general" insurers of all sorts of stuff and club marine are boating only so can assess things more accurately. I'm glad I checked it out.

Wello_Pete
17-11-2004, 09:44 AM
I can thoroughly recommend Suncorp. Just had a claim (see Near Disaster a few pages ago) and Suncorp were efficient, helpful and above all fair. As with all insurance organisations, you only find out how good (or otherwise) they are after you make a claim. Very impressed with Suncorp, but don't want to be on their Christmas card list!

Cheers

Rowdy_2002
17-11-2004, 09:52 AM
When I had boats I was insured with Club Marine and had 2 claims. First was when motor was stolen off the boat and there were no problems. Had a new motor within a week of submitting quotes. The second claim was when I had the whole boat nicked. Took over 6 weeks before they made an offer and then to my surprise was $3000 less tan what it was insured for. Turns out that when you buy the boat and put a value on it they will automatically devalue it year by year unbeknown to you. I had been paying a premium based on what I paid for it. When I questioned them they said it is up to the person to advise the insurance company of the lower value so that the premium can be adjusted.

I was not happy..... >:(

Went to where I puchased the boat and they gave me a certificate of value for it that was a bit more than it was insured for and the insurance company revised their offer and paid up the value of the boat as per the premium I was paying.
:)

Cheech
18-11-2004, 03:58 PM
Drevil,,

Bet you are getting excited. Ship arriving next week. Look forward to seeing it. Am expecting a post with lots of pictures to make us all envious.

Probably a lot of members that would queue up to be your deckie if you get the urge to give off shore fishing a go. (me included)

I have Suncorp as well. Heaps cheaper. Have not had to claim yet. A couple of weeks ago an ausfish member put up a post saying he had a fire and put in a claim with suncorp ant they were excellent and dealt with it quickly.

Cheech

bugman
19-11-2004, 04:01 AM
Rowdy,

Same issue happened to me when I lost my boat. They told me it was over insured despite the fact I took it to a Club Marine assessor who gave me the price :-X

He's some info for you on my boat: quote price with water skiers cover.

Club Marine $591 ($500 max claim for fish and diving gear)
RACQ $651.05 ($300 max claim for personal property ie fish gear)
Suncorp $477.90 (unlimited claim of fish/dive gear within overall insured limit)
NMRA $643.34 (no claim for fish/dive gear)

Guess who I went with?

Bugman

Rowdy_2002
19-11-2004, 05:04 AM
I suppose a lot fall into the trap when buying a boat from a dealer of going with the insurance company that they are agents for. Usually it tends to get offered as a whole package and you don't get other quotes cos your too excited about getting the new rig.

Wouldn't it be good if dealers were like insurance brokers and could offer policies from all the companies......
Maybe then some of them might reduce their premiums

drevil
23-11-2004, 04:57 AM
Yeah, good point Rowdy. The dealer actually seemed a bit miffed when we said we were going to go with Suncorp and not with the policy they were offering through Club Marine.

Cheech, picking up the newbie this Thursday, so look out for some pics shortly after that. Let's hope the weather comes good!

MikeH
29-11-2004, 04:33 PM
Bugman,

The prices you were quoted from each of those insurance companies was for what value of boat package ?

Please PM is you like.

Regards,

MikeH