PDA

View Full Version : It will cost HOW MUCH!!???

mini696
02-12-2004, 07:39 AM
My starter motor is stuffed!!

And to get a new one (because aftermarket ones aren't made for my motor) it will cost $460. And thats only for the parts. Add on anothe $50-$100 for labour.

On a 20 year old 25HP Evinrude... Is it worth it??

Mickk

propdinger
02-12-2004, 07:45 AM
spend that money towards a new motor it will be more reliable start easy and feel safer and less shake rattle and roll than your old one

jeff

dnej
02-12-2004, 08:16 AM
You may find that the starter is a generic brand, even though there is no after market one. What brand is it, ( For example Hitachi)and what is wrong with the starter?
David

mini696
02-12-2004, 09:15 AM
I am not sure about the brand on the motor (it should be the genuine original one). I cant check as the boat is in the shop at the moment.

The problem list goes like this...
1) the seals are stuffed
2) the alumimium cap to the bottom is corroded and... stuffed
3) the bushes are... yep... stuffed
4) the bendix (sic) is... not working as it should
5) the magnets are shattered

All second hand ones I have found are in similar condition to mine (needing at least new bushes, and seals).

I have decided to get it fitted, here are my reasons.
1) I have been looking at second hand prices for similar motors, and I have found the ones fitted with electric starters are getting $400 more than the pull start ones. I have had someone offer me $1200 for it with a starter (new or old), but he wont take one with pull start only.
2) The motor itself is in good condition (high compression, etc)
3) I hate pull starting it. Being an Evinrude it has high compression and is a pain in the butt to start cold.
4) I use the boat by myself a lot, so having to pull start it every time I want to move may become a pain too.
5) If I got a new motor (I doubt I would get another 2nd hand one) it will cost me $5000 (less with trade-in), because I have promised myself I will get a 4-stroke next time.
6) If I do trade the motor in 2 dealers have both said they'll give me $350-$400 more for the motor fitted with a starter. So the money I will loose will be minimal anyway.

Mickk

mackmauler
02-12-2004, 10:33 AM
Mickk, new motor, 4 stroke with electric start, unbeatable!