PDA

View Full Version : Morton Island??

brenmer
03-12-2004, 04:26 PM
G-Day!

I’m a fairly new boatie who has just got passed the fear of scratching the boat ::) phase and am now in the loving the boat phase ;D and using any excuse to get away from the missus and out on the water.

However, as it was meant to be a family boat ::) and not just my boat, (pulled the wool over her eyes ;D). My wife has suggested we head to Morton Is over the school holidays and spend a couple of days over there. As this will be our first time doing something this I have come across a few questions.

1) If anchoring overnight what is the best way to do this and still sleep soundly? The boat is 5.5m fibreglass.
2) What is the best way to get out to Morton i.e. from Scarbourgh, or Bribie as these are the closest home?
3) Is it better to go faster or slower over the swell?
4) What are the best times of the year to do this?
5) And does anyone have any good fishing GPS positions they are willing to share….please? ???

I’m sure these sound like fairly basic questions, and a few a think I can answer myself, but, I would be grateful to read other peoples opinions.

AaronF
04-12-2004, 06:24 AM
Suggest you do a search on this site for information as this topic was raised only a few weeks ago.

The basics are covered in that post which I think was "overnighting Moreton" from memory.

1. Look for some shelter and use lots of rope and plenty of chain.
2. Scarborough or Bribie is good.
3. Your boat will tell you this or the wife belting the crap out of you for going to fast - be sure you're ready for a trip this big first though. It's a long way over there and you should maybe start with something a little less ambitious.
4. Anytime the wind is less than 15 knots for the entire weekend - give it a miss otherwise unless you are really confident in your boat and your ability.
5. You don't need any marks in the bay - find a beacon or look for other boats and you'll find the fish at this time of the year.

Take care - it's 25-30km trip and it's no fun in rough weather and especially if you haven't been out in that before.

Punch in your exit mark from the ramp as you leave and follow that back home from Moreton as you will have trouble seeing land if it rains and could end up somewhere you don't want to be.

Cheers

Aaron

aido
04-12-2004, 06:28 AM
waking up on an island having your boat sitting there waiting
to go sure is a great feeling.
not so great is going to sleep on the land wondering if she
will still be there in the morning.
think planning here, study the tide charts and weather.
nothing worse than having the boat up on the beach 200m
from the water when the tides gone low at 7 am. (ie. sandhills area)
anchoring up in 2 ft of water at low tide might seem o/k
at the time and avoid this problem, though your in for a
200m swim when the tides up and the missus needs her
face cream from the boat, lol.
deep water may be a better solution, though i'd expect
a decent current in the deeper channels inside morton. (ie. tangalooma wrecks)
anchoring, 2 anchors with heaps of chain and plenty of
rope. sand anchors preferred, picks are almost useless.
have a look what others are doing where you choose to
camp.
my personal technique these days is to anchor up on high
tide if the timings right (5-8 pm) and just let the boat sit on
the sand o'night when the tides out and i sleep better.
needs carefull planning though in case of a small high in the
morning, lol.

overall, i'd say it's all worth the effort.

craigie
04-12-2004, 10:44 AM
Brenmer,

Do not go if mid to strong westerly winds are forecast. It will create a surf beach along the inside of Moreton they will pound your anchored vessel.

As the guy's above have mentioned, you really do need good weather and winds to spend time on the Eastern side of the bay.

I've been caught at Tangas when a 25 - 30 knot SE blew up, it took 3 hrs of getting the crap beat out of us by a 2m bay chop to get back to Manly, it was a glassy 45 min trip on the way over ::).

Happy boating

Craigie.

Aaron_Fogarty
04-12-2004, 11:32 AM
Approach Moreton Island with caution. As an experienced boatie Ive been caught there with the Missus and its no fun. If you decide to go I would overnight behind the wrecks at Tangalooma. Be cautious though the weather forecast for the bay can differ at Tangalooma if you catch the side of a storm or a blow coming down the inside of the island.

The best place to leave from is the Mouth of the Brisbane River and just follow the leads out and strait across to Tangas.(Good water all the way. From Scarb or Bribie you ve got the spit fire sand banks to worry about.) If it does blow up a little you can always follow the Flyer (Tangalooma Ferry)
home it leaves about 1530.
My recommendation given that your boat is not a giant and your asking for advice, is that you build up to Moreton. Start with an overnighter at Peel Island in the Southern bay alot safer and the snapper and sweetlip fishing there is good this time of year.
Horse shoe bay is where you sleep at Peel and if the weather is good go for a run over to North Straddie during the day, get a feel for the size of the bay.

2nd option do a couple of reccy day trips to Moreton with one of your mates who is an experienced boatie and get comfortable with the surrounds. If you do get in trouble over there the airsea rescue is at scarb and the water police in the Brissy river.(about an hour away)
Be carefull
Regards Aaron

crazymorton
04-12-2004, 11:36 AM
Approach Moreton Island with caution. As an experienced boatie Ive been caught there with the Missus and its no fun.

hey aaron....was it no fun because you got caught there with the missus.....or just cause you got caught there???
;D #;) ;D ;)

Aaron_Fogarty
04-12-2004, 12:42 PM
Mate
Ive been caught there with the best and the worst of em and no matter who it is, when their life is in your hands, to go or stay and wait, after it blows up is a big decission.

I feel alot more confident when Im alone than with someone else, crossing that bay is a shocker when it blows no matter what the direction of wind, and those short sharp swells are sometimes unpredictable.

Coming down from a 6m sportfish to a 5m tiller has meant I really have to watch that weather. Oh yeah,The missus still curses me about that trip from hell.( Bay forecast 10/15 SE isolated showers, Tangalooma that night 25/35 southerly mass electrical storm,no where to hide) What a shocker.
No fish is worth your life!
Cheers
Aaron

Big_Kev
04-12-2004, 02:56 PM
I am with the opinion to have a couple of day trips over to get your bearings.
Don't get scared off by the fear squad, you just need top watch the weather and the direction of the wind.
I recomend starting with a trip to Horseshoe bay at Peel island.
This will be a better overnight starter as it is more protected with a short run in safe waters from Cleveland. As long as the wind is not coming from the south, if so you can hide at Lasarats gutter on the other side of Peel for the night.
Happy boating. Kev. (Use a good chart or the Beacon to Beacon)

aido
05-12-2004, 06:20 PM
if your camping on peel (horseshoe bay), don't forget the aeroguard.
man eating mozzies over there.
but like reel hard says, it's a great place to get some experience up.

brenmer
07-12-2004, 07:07 AM
Wow! :o Thanks for all the fantastic advice. I have been away from home for a couple of days and was really impressed that all of you took the time to give sensible replies to my questions ;DThanks again ;D ;D ;D