PDA

View Full Version : Best place to fit a Fuel Tank

HavaGo
07-12-2004, 11:38 AM
I've recently had a 90 4st Suzi fitted to my 5.28m Stacer C/C. The fuel tank is situated under the rear well of the boat holding 150 ltrs. With these 2 fat cats perched in the rear I'm finding that the boat sits a bit rear-end heavy. I'm considering having the tank removed and a new one built in up under the bow floor panel V section @ about 60-80ltrs, but I'm concerned that the fuel flow maybe inhibited.
Does anyone know of similar configs or work arounds that might be workable?

Cheers
Sean

aido
07-12-2004, 11:54 AM
tanks up the front get a lot more pounding.
make sure you allow for that in the design.

dfox
07-12-2004, 11:59 AM
Ive had fuel tanks in the bow of several boats, one was shaped to fit the v shape of the bow and held 85 litres, never had any problems with it,as long as the breather works and the pick-ups on the bottom, i cant see a problem...

HavaGo
07-12-2004, 12:27 PM
Re: the pounding, I believe that the tanks can have baffles built in to compensate for motion - does this sound right?
My father has approx 40lt ss beer keg mounted up under the front of a 14foot tiny in Weipa. His only problem is that his Suzi can't max rev from a low rev without a slow build up (don't know why you'd treat the dong like that anyway) - due to the length and diameter of the fuel line.
Would mounting the engine on a pod improve the weight displacement?

aido
07-12-2004, 12:35 PM
i was thinking more of the physical mounting of the tank.
make sure it's beefy and about the backpressure, that could
be a problem for a small pump at full bickie.

dfox
07-12-2004, 01:06 PM
Unless its a full width pod incorpirating the hull shape it will only make the problem worse. My tank was built from 3 and 4mm plate alloy- bolted securely in, no baffles due to its shape it didnt need them. the boat was 6 meters long and the fuel line was standard rubber stuff, with a racor filter. id guess and say the fuel line was 8 meters in total from tank to motor. The top of the tank had a screw out filler the pick up was right on the back bottom point, and on the front top was a breather pipe that connected to a breather line that ran up to the gunnel. This tank being right in the bow copped a real hammering and never failed. The boat was used for commercial fishing and the tank served to perposes ,one was to counter the loaded esky that made the boat back heavy and it also gave the nose more wieght when smashing into a head sea.

finding_time
07-12-2004, 01:18 PM
i have a bow mounted tank 120L on my 5.2m boat and it's great! On the way off shore you are generally heading into the sea and the weight up front is a real asset. When returning home you are lighter in the nose and in the following sea this is also nice. ;D ;D

Big_Kev
07-12-2004, 02:47 PM
I ran a front tank (75ltr) under the casting deck at the front of my C/C.
10mm fuel line the red stuff (cost a packet). And had a breather on a long hose from the tank to under the side deck.
Pick up had to collect the fuel from the rear of tank. Cause of the angle when traveling.
It worked a treat and put a bit of weight to the front to soften the ride.
8)