PDA

View Full Version : Good ramps/bad ramps in SE QLD

bungie
24-11-2004, 02:48 AM
I spend most of my time on the water on my own, even tho I have my trailer set up well its still a fight at the wrong time (17ft fibreglass with a 140hp black anchor :) ), since I don't drive up but use the winch. This means that I have to watch the ramp I leave from for different reasons, mainly no beach at high tide, no jetty, continual bad cross winds.
So with that in mind whats the best and worst ramps around here ??

I'll start,
Good ..
Marine Pd Labrador, can be very windy but has a double sided jetty.
Horizon Shores Jacobs Well, beach jetty protected from wind most of the time.

Bad ..
Fisherman's Island no beach at high tide with rocks in what little sand there is.
Deep water bend Bracken Ridge, Rocks Rocks and more %#^& rocks, there is a jetty but you need to access the concrete ramp with rocks all around.
Miers Rd Long Pocket, The ramp runs out at half tide and your trailer drops over the bottom of it

drevil
24-11-2004, 03:48 AM
Good:
Ningi, lots of beach and wide ramp
Nudgee, good access through the floating pontoon alongside the ramp
Woody Point, sand either side of ramp, little shallow at low tide tho
Jacobs Well, sandy with wide ramp

Bad:
Vistoria Point, rocks on northern (?) ramp, had some bad experiences with lots of wind (the weather, not me) and busy as hell
Weinam Creek, no landing beach on either side, bad when busy

I had an 5.5m glass half cab, so I didn't like anything with rocks

Brenno
24-11-2004, 11:55 AM
Bad

Pimpama, rocks and more rocks, plus it has a step drive way down to the ramp.
the ramps on the spit, to slippery

Good
Jacobs Well, wide with a plenty of sand next to it.

subzero
24-11-2004, 03:07 PM
Gidday Drevil, when was the last time you were at Victoria Point? (Northern Ramp)
I would say that we NOW have one of the best ramps around after the addition of the floating jetty.
Come in upwind, or above the tide, which ever is the greater and use it to help you to drift in the last metre or two... the Jetty has lines attached all the way along on both sides so you can tie your boat up while you go and grab your trailer.

Yep sure is busy, was bad before, is probably worse now, not because we lost a lane to get the jetty but because even more people are using it now, because of its user friendlyness many people came back, we were surprised how many people who lived at Vicky Point told us they launched from Redland Bay etc but had decided to come back..... The turn around rate is quicker than it used to be even with the loss of the middle lane because it is much more user friendly and simpler to use....
Rocks, dead right, come in at 90 degrees on the Nth side, you will find them close in to shore about 10 metres away on the corner.... drift off southwards and once again stay in close to the shore and you will find those rocks again....

The biggest problem we face now days is the lack of parking soace throughout the day... early bird catches the worm....

I can honestly say, to my knowledge I have never heard of a car being swiped, broken into, or vandilised in the 5 years I have been a member..... To my mind that makes it a good ramp all by itself....

One other problem we do have is the low tides, very shallow around our neck of the woods and it can be a bit nasty getting in and out if you are not familiar with the area, the approaches and the knowledge of how to utilize the trim of the vessel using motor or persons, speed, the effects of lessened steering, wind and tides etc... I cant really think of a better place to learn the ropes than in an area where things arent as easy as we would all like, puts you in good stead for those times when you might need that little bit of extra knowledge to get you out of a sticky situation...
Pop on down sometime and have a look at the changes for yourself, I will be more than happy to show you around the Base and Boats if you would like a bit of a tour...

Kind Regards
Lloyd

vp3
07-12-2004, 03:41 PM
Got to agree with you Subzero, The new pontoon (floating jetty) has made a huge diffrence to launch and retrieve, and you don't get your feet wet
Cheers Ian

HavaGo
08-12-2004, 04:21 AM
Must agree with gunwhale and subzero on the Vic point (northern jetty). It's only fallback is it's lack of parking if you set out late in the morning. Also if you're putting in in the arvo for a night bash on the w/e you tend to be butting heads with the returning crowds for realestate @ the pontoon, especially if you're putting in solo. The southern ramp is still a two man job although on high tide the little beach just south next to it is a perfect place to moor the boat when launching by yourself. Note: This ramp is a shocker around the low tide when negotiating the close in shallow banks just in front of the rock groin. If you're not sure on the channel then take note of the ferry's path and follow his lead.

drevil
08-12-2004, 05:42 AM
Hi Lloyd

Yes, Victoria Pt ramp was about a year ago. I saw it the other week when I did the VHF course and looks much more user friendly.

Speaking of the VHF course, I'll message you about sitting for the exam.

SeaHunt
08-12-2004, 07:48 AM
The difference between good and bad is often determined by whether you are on your own or not.
Deep water bend is fine if you have two people, or a tiny tinny, but I would not go there alone with my boat. If I am my own I like sand and lots of it, and probably the best ramp I have used for solo launching is at Sinaker Sound just before you get to Bribie, sheltered from the wind, little or no current and heaps of sand.
Of the others I have used.
Fig Tree pocket - pretty good
Jindalee - Pontoon - OK but can be crowded
Ditto for Colmslie (spelling?).
Cabbage Tree Point - exposed to wind and current, otherwise OK
Pinkenbah - ok if you have two people - watch the wake from the big boys.
Donnybrook - muddy but OK
Toorbul - sandy but exposed to wind and current
Dohle's Rocks at low tide is crap.
Mooloolaba near VMR on the spit is good.
Maroochy river near the Sunshine motorway bridge is too shallow, around the corner in the creek is the go.
Noosa River , Tewantin near the RSL is OK but crowded, I put in beside the ferry on the sand, 4wd optional.

subzero
08-12-2004, 10:47 AM
Not a problem Drevil, I am available most nights, will need a minimum of 4 days to get the test papers here on time from the OMC.
Speak to you soon
Cheers Lloyd

drb
08-12-2004, 11:05 AM
Kawana Waters is Good

Has a pontoon and plenty of sand. Sand may not be of any use on large tides.
Plenty of current though but I was always able to launch and retreive my 19ft fiberglass solo.

gets pretty busy on the holidays and its always good fun to sit on the bench of knowledge and watch the stuff ups on a busy day :)

watch out for mono around the prop from the fisherman on the jetty who are supposed to wind in when boats are using the jetty.

damons33
08-12-2004, 12:29 PM
best in queensland in all conditions is ------spinnaker sound
#bribie island, sand bottom, good deep drop off never a chance of propping the bottom driving the boat on and the ability to beach the bow with engine running to onload/offload passengers, and its in a out of tide flow lagoon and has wind cover/breaks. plenty of parking and friendly people....well mostly friendly.
#worst- dohles rocks on the pine
daz- you mean "la balsa"- i would say it can be a pain at full tide run for larger boats and think the mooloolaba vmr to be better for over 5m craft and is better for the n/e afternoon winds in summer, i use la balsa a lot and nudgee would be most frequented brisso ramp.
damon

SeaHunt
08-12-2004, 12:43 PM
Damon,
Agree about Spinnaker sound, but there was not that much parking up there Sunday before last, some had to park beside the highway.

drevil
09-12-2004, 03:41 AM
I love the Sound as well, but pulling out on that road to go home can be a bit dangerous at times.