PDA

View Full Version : marine radio

bin_lookin
09-12-2004, 06:45 AM
just got my radio up &running it is a gme electrophone cx290 27mhz very new at this so need run down on the channels please it has p1 p2 68 72 82 86 88 90 91 94 96 98 help would be nice radio was in boat allready

Jeremy
09-12-2004, 08:23 AM
just to get you started, you don't require a licence to operate a 27 mHz marine radio, but do the course if you get the chance as you will learn alot.

Channel 88 is the main contact and emergency channel, with 86 as the back up. Keep your talk short and to the point and switch to a working channel when you have contacted the party you want to talk to, unless it is a real emergency.

Don't use foul language and don't hog a channel for ages as others may want to talk too. Also, it is convention to observe a silence period on the radio for 3 minutes and the hour and half hour for weak emergency signals.

Not sure about all the other channels, maybe someone else will fill you in.

Jeremy

bin_lookin
09-12-2004, 12:33 PM
thanks jeremy, it is a start better to know before i start using it thought it might be good to have radio as i do venture out when i can

bungie
09-12-2004, 01:42 PM
go to http://www.vmraq.org.au/docs/187.pdf and scroll down to page 10. Gives you the channels and a few tips, then thank VMR QLD for the link :)

bungie
09-12-2004, 01:49 PM
Trying to remember, I think VMR for the Southern end of the bay Bay is channel 91, Northern end of the Bay is channel 90. But it could be the other way around ???

subzero
09-12-2004, 04:18 PM
Nice work Bungie, you certainly paid attention!!! ;D
All VMR units throughout Queensland, and possibly the rest of the country monitor either ch 90 or 91... most monitor both, the channels are staggered so we dont keep getting in each others way... at Vicky Point we use ch 90, but do monitor both frequencies as well as 88/86 (Calling and distress just as you say), to my knowledge VMR Jacobs Well and South of that use 91 but also probably monitor both, VMR Nth Straddy and Raby Bay monitor 90 but almost certainly monitor both also. WE ALL monitor ch 88/86

Bin Lookin, call in at your local VMR or Coastguard unit for 10 minutes next time you are heading out if you have a minute and they will be more than happy to give you a quick run down on how to use the set and do a radio check for you.
No one will think you are silly asking for help in gaining the knowledge how to use it properly, the only silly people are those that have these worthwhile peices of equipment and have never bothered to learn how to use them for when and if the need arises.... congratulations, nice set by the way
Cheers Lloyd

subzero
09-12-2004, 04:28 PM
You give good info too Jeremy, you a VMR or Coastguard member by any chance?

bin_lookin
10-12-2004, 08:03 AM
thank you all for your help very gratefull been using uhf in trucks for 16 odd years marine is new to me once again thank you bin lookin