PDA

View Full Version : Fix for Fibreglass going yellowish tint

cooky
14-12-2004, 07:14 PM
As a few of you know I bought my first boat - 5.4m fibreglass. It's about 4yrs old and the topsides were a bit yellowish in tint when I got it a few months ago. I've been using a 3M product (cleaner and wax or something) with a buffing pad on my powerdrill. It seems to work okay, although having trouble where prev owner had rego numbers previously (no.s very white - can just see them still). Anyone got any better solutions?
Some of top of boat (bow area) was going a little oxidised, but now good after I gave a good polish on weekend.
Once I'm happy I would like it to last as long as possible - any ideas, tips?? I store outside and I live in North Qld - do have a cover.
photo shows old position of rego numbers - i've put new ones down the back in the usual position.

blaze
15-12-2004, 03:51 AM
give the area around and on the areas a light sand with 1000 grit wet and dry (using wet) then buff it as you are. The color under the stickers is the original color and the rest is the faded color and the best you can hope to do is blend them into each other and they wont be so visiable
cheers
blaze
ps this is as clear as mud

NQCairns
15-12-2004, 12:50 PM
I read somewhere that those green pot scourers and a bathroom Jiff type liquid (slightly abrasive) does a nice and gentle job.Have not tried it myself.nq

cooky
15-12-2004, 05:03 PM
i'm an idiot - that's what I've used on my fibreglass eskies before - it works!

I just thought that it HAD to be more difficult than that - I haven't even tried it.

thanks