PDA

View Full Version : 4 blade props

yockman
12-12-2004, 06:13 AM
Anyone running one? Would like to get some info, eg, what are you running it on, how come you chose a 4 blade, what's good /bad about it and what brand is it?
All info MUCH appreciated
Yockman

Robbo_Townsville
12-12-2004, 04:23 PM
Have a Trophy 4 blade on my 115hp merc.

Chose it as it was recommended by boat builder (cyclone)

Gets it on the plane quicker (I do a bit of skiing and tubing)

Drawback apparently is it drops a bit of top end speed but I cant confirm as I cant afford another $1000 - $1500 prop sitting in the shed looking pretty.

yockman
12-12-2004, 05:23 PM
Thanks Robbo,
Your reasons for having one sound the opposite to mine - plane out to the shelf and then mostly troll all day about 6-7 knots. Have been advised that they do this very well, cut say 100 revs off at 6 knots. mltiply that by all day by all season and reasonable savings are claimed - if you can get over the initial purchase price!!.

Not really interested in performance, rarely drive my boats beyond 4500rpm
This btw is for a yammy F115
Cheers,
Yockman

hoga
16-12-2004, 05:01 PM
thinking of getting one told it would save fuel by holding you
on the plane at lower speeds like when its rough you dont haft to be on & off the throtal as mutch have you
heard this or am i just geting a sales pitch ive got 175 2 stroke
dont do mutch trolling but do 140 ks a trip could do with some info to hoga

SeaSaw
16-12-2004, 05:25 PM
Hoga,

I have been told that the 4 blade prop gives you more stern lift (which makes sense due to the larger overall blade area in contact with the water). Because of the extra stern lift, the boat should hold a plane at a lower speed. This is what I was told anyway, and I am also thinking about a 4 blade for my 225 Yammy.

Cheers,

Mark

yockman
16-12-2004, 05:43 PM
Well I've ordered one today, so I'll write up a report sometime over the next week.
Cheers,
Yockman

whiteman
17-12-2004, 07:25 AM
Did you look at Permatrim 1st? It helped my Quinnie with 115 Yammie no end as I can plain at a much lower speed and at trolling speeds the boat sits better in the water so probably uses less fuel.

cooky
17-12-2004, 09:11 AM
just spend the extra on fuel. Better for your cashflow (wallet).

yockman
17-12-2004, 11:32 AM
I bought this cos the one that came with the new s/h motor I bought just didn't suit my boat at all, though it was a perfectly good ss prop in A1 nick.

Took the advice from Steve at Solas, whose name I've seen a couple of dozen times on various chatboards and every single reference to him also includes a glowing report about his clueyness and fairdinkumness.

We'll see.....

Cheers

Yock