PDA

View Full Version : Possible Water in Fuel Tank Advice

CamH
16-12-2004, 08:26 AM
I lost my fuel cap and stuck a rag down the hole to try and block any water from getting in while the boat is stored. The boat has a cover that goes over the fuel cap area but at some stage the rag has fallen out. There have been some heavy and wild storms so I am unsure if the cover has kep all the moisture out. Would it be best to try and drain all the fuel out (about 60L)? If so what is the best way to do it given the deck is fully sealed with only a small inspection port to access the underfloor tank and what steps once fuel is extracted? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

drb
16-12-2004, 10:10 AM
do you have an inspection port into the tank? is so jack the boat up so that fuel runns to the back (or front of the tank) insert a hose and make sure it gets into the lowest corner of the tank and start syphoning. water is heavier than fuel so all the water will be at the bottom of the tank. Once you start getting fuel only stop syphoning. renew the cartridge on your fuel filter and keep a spare in the boat Also keep an eye on the water seperator section. (provide of course you have a water seperating fuel filter, if not I would fit one, about $80)

CamH
16-12-2004, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the advice Daz. I'll check it all out.

Paul_C
17-12-2004, 05:48 PM
Simpler solution than that, add some Methylated Spirits to the fuel, about a litre in sixty should do it, the metho will take up any water and then suspend / mix in the fuel, and will just get burnt off, without you ever noticing it.

Paul Cade

CamH
18-12-2004, 04:55 AM
Thanks Paul.