PDA

View Full Version : Snorkelling Broadwater

Blue_Escape
22-12-2004, 06:03 AM
Hi
planning a houseboat (Coomeera Houseboats) holiday down the Broadwater early next year. Does anyone know of any safe, reasonably interesting places to go for a bit of a snorkel?? Also any nice spots (for the missus) to pull up for a bit of a picnic etc.??

Cheers
Blue

keen_as_mustard
22-12-2004, 10:06 AM
my mates snorkel along the south wall of the seaway - see plenty of fish around the rocks and find plenty of tackle.

might be a bit scary with so much holiday traffic and anglers though?

don't really know of any other places - you could try ringing the local dive shops for more info.

Aaron_Fogarty
22-12-2004, 10:15 AM
Along the inside of South Straddie is your best spot for a swim. There is a small cove they call The Bedrooms, and its only a short walk across to the Surf Beach. Be carefull though there is little water there on the low tide. At night hit the famous Tipplers for a night out with the family, its a popular family, boaty destination. Try to Travel with the tide wherever you go it will save on time and fuel. We usually take the tinnie off the back of the house boat, Anchor around wavebreak somewhere and do all the running around in the tinnie...As for snorkling the water that time of year can get pretty dirty, the shallow water around wave break Island will give you the best visability, look out for big flathead,rays and sand crabs..Great holiday.
Hope you get great weather
Aaron

bugman
23-12-2004, 05:59 AM
Bluey,

Your best bet is the Northern rock wall on Wave Break island. Your biggest problem may be getting in there as it does get popular.

Pick either the top or the bottom of the tide as that's when the water clarity is at it's best - especially on small tides. Expect to see plenty of brightly coloured fish plus your normal bream, whiting etc. It can be goo fusn there and I've also seen a nest of Crayfish at the bottom of the marker just out from the wall but you'll probalby need scuba to get to it.

The Seaway itself can be really good to snorkel in. Just look out for fisherman and stay close to the rock wall to avoid boats. Again pick top or bottom of the tide otherwise you could end up in New Zealand. Anywhere around the pipeline outlet is probably best but it's also where the fishermen congregate.

Have fun.

Bugman

Blue_Escape
23-12-2004, 06:14 AM
Thanks Aaron/Bugman,
sounds like Wave Break's the go. It's been years since I had the snorkel on, as I'm too busy pulling the fish out of the water ;D ::) . Since we're there for a week I think I might have time to get "up close & personal" with some of the marine life (not the sharks :o )in the water for a change.

Cheers
Blue