PDA

View Full Version : new boat trailer

dazza
30-12-2004, 12:37 PM
hi all,
starting to do a bit of homework with the view to purchasing a new trailer for the Haines 680.
The boat is stored at a marina and is only on the trailer a couple of times a year. I am told electric brakes are alot cheaper, but require alot of maintenance. Hydraulic brakes are dearer but less maintenance is required.
Looking for any information to make the right purchase.
Also would not rule out a second hand trailer if it was in near new condition. Needs to take a boat that weighs about 2800kg
Cheers
dazza

SeaSaw
30-12-2004, 05:13 PM
Dazza,

Go the hydraulics if you can afford them. Electric brakes aren't designed for salt water and should never have been alowed to be put on boat trailers. I know, because my boat trailer has electric, and they are a pain in the neck ??? To keep mine working I have to pull them apart and give them a good clean up every 6 months and replace any badly rusted or broken bits. After about 6 months they just dont work so this has to be done.

Every year I also replace one set of brakes completely with a new set and use the spare parts from the ones I take off to keep the other set going. That way each set of brakes gets replaced fully every 2 years and I have plenty of spares for the 6 monthly maintenance.

The other problem with electrics is that the pads tend to come off if you put them in the water hot. ??? They are only glued on and the glue just doesn't hold up to being dunked in water when they are hot. When I get a new set now, I drill out 2 seats in the top and bottom of each pad and pop rivet them in place, and then they are OK, but it is just more work to do.

Unless you have heaps of spare time on your hands, go for the hydraulics.

Cheers,

Mark

dazza
31-12-2004, 12:41 PM
hi mark,
thanks for the advice
have heard you can drill a hole in the back of the drum and thread a hose attachment through it, then hook the hose up to give it all a good flush.
the trailer probably goes in the water about 12 times per year, during a 2 week period.
the difference between the two is about 2k. dunno if i can justify the cost for such little useage but on the other hand "maintenance" is not my middle name either :-/ :-/
cheers
darren

SeaSaw
31-12-2004, 03:21 PM
I'll give you the extra $2k AND look after the trailer for you for the other 50 weeks of the year.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

dazza
31-12-2004, 04:32 PM
lol mark
have you had your rig over the weighbridge?
that is my next job
cheers
dazza

Needmorerum
31-12-2004, 05:26 PM
With something that weighs 2.8t, don't you have to have breakaway brakes on it by law. I'm not sure, but it would be worth finding out, it may be when you pass 3t. But then there's not much around that will leagally tow it anyway, besides an F Truck or the likes. You would even need a 100 Series Cruiser to tow over 2.5t as the 80 Series are only rated to 2.5t. Not sure what the rating is for a Ni$$an.
I've got the mechanical, wire type brakes on mine, although I am only weighing 1.7t. I find them good at pulling up the weight of the boat, but the hammering back and forwards gives me the sh!ts when your changing gears or applying the brakes. Mind you, there isn't much maintenance involved with them.

Corry