PDA

View Full Version : Running Advice on 50hp Honda

scroman
30-12-2004, 11:37 AM
G'day folks - just took ownership of my first 4st - can say i am super impressed with the quietness and efficiency ;)
Have a question for you pros and 4st 50 honda owners. Nowhere in the manual / specs does it give any indication as to what "cruising rpms etc s"hould be. At the moment i am sticking to the tweed river in flat to slight chop conditions and at 4500 sitting on 37kph. The tacho red lines at 6000 - is 4500 too cautious? (given optimum conditions and two blokes on board.) Given that 6000 is red line, can they run comfortably at 5500?
I know there are many variables to this scenario but just looking for a guide - she is 2 hours old as well - maybe i'm being too soft on her or not soft enough considering her age?
I did read in the manual about the first 20hrs run in procedure but it refers to 'running at 80%' for example. Is that 80% of wot or not counting red line areas.
I apologise for the relative vagueness of this query - as I said i am aware of the number of variables but any advice would be greatly appreciated :)
Thanks
Scroman

Spaniard_King
31-12-2004, 09:44 AM
Scroman,

Just quickly.... give it to her!!

Basically don't keep her at WOT for any longer than 2-3 min

The key to runnin in a donk is to vary the rpm every few minutes, you could run at 5000 comfortably once you have done 20hrs you could run flat all day...it's a Honda [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

[smiley=laola.gif]

beatle
01-01-2005, 05:05 AM
Scroman I have the 40hp great motor am very happy with it . I just ran mine around at low revs from idle to 4000 and constantly varied rpm as per required time stated in the manual. One problem you may encounter is may not start when motor is warm remember to lift idle arm when starting from warm. but do not lift idle arm when starting from cold.-Beatle