PDA

View Full Version : Shorncliffe BOat Ramp

philip_thomson
31-12-2004, 11:58 AM
hey guys
i am looking to start taking the boat out on sundays from the Shorncliffe boat ramp over to the 4 beacons.

im wondering what the shorncliffe boat ramp is like to launch from, does it have sand on the side?, does it and the run to it become very shallow (less than .75m)at low tide?

how much fuel would a 5.2m half cab with 90hp use up on a return trip to the beacons from shorncliffe?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers phil

Sportfish_5
31-12-2004, 12:28 PM
Phil - The boatramp at Clontarf (up a bit off the Hornibrook ??) is better and does have a fine sand/gravel patch to leave the boat. Run over should be fine and imagine it would be 25-30 kms to beacons. Lot of boat traffic (PWCs) there on weekends. How much fuel depends on you ;D ;D ;D

Cheers

Greg

nisrol
31-12-2004, 12:28 PM
phil
if you are talking about the one near the mouth of cabbage tree creek i do not recomend using it at low tide as there is a dropoff at the end of the ramp .
As for the one near the trawlers would be much better but i have not looked at it personally , probably a better ramp to use

cheers andy

adamleah
31-12-2004, 01:36 PM
Phil , , My old clunker uses about 45litres return from fish Island ramp..... thats not doing any other running about just there and back.. an old 115 merc on a boat similar to yours ,, so I'd say you would use more likely a little less...

searaider
31-12-2004, 06:22 PM
Hi Phil ,
I sometime use the Shorncliffe ramp if I'm heading over towards the 4 beacons , I'm pretty sure that its about 22 Klms each way , hopefully you have some Idear how much fuel your rig uses per klm . Dont leave yourself short , if it gets rough you can use heaps more .
A 5.2 half cab should have no troubles getting there , and be large enough to get you home if the weather turns to sh#t.

I always use the ramp near the trawlers , good & wide , either 3 or 4 lane , reasonably steep .
DOWNSIDE
*Can be very slippery at low tide .
*Doesn't have any sand , but has small pebbly rocks on either side of the ramp .( Watch the gelcoat , if fiberglass )
*At low tide there use to be some larger rocks on both sides of the ramp to look out for ( worse on the side towards the mouth ).
*At high tide ,both sides of the ramp ,( pebbles ) are covered with water , and you have to load /unload on the ramp itself .

As Sportsfish advised ,
The Clontarf ramp is pretty good , with sand at the side .
Its probably the closest to the 4 beacons .
*I had trouble once on a real low tide , my deckie had to push the boat through the mud 1/2 way to the rockwall enterance , before we had enough water to start the motor . ( This was an extremly low tide ).

I think the public ramp at Scarbough , the one on the right hand side of Moreton Bay Boat Club ( not the coast guard ramp ), is my pick of the 3 ramps . [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
Slightly North of the 4 beacons , but heaps closer on the water than Shorncliffe , 4 lanse wide , reasonable amount of sand on the bay side of the ramp .

I hope this helps ,& hasnt confused things .

Peter
Searaider 2

philip_thomson
31-12-2004, 06:52 PM
hmmm doesn't sound like it is the greatest ramp but sounds acceptable. clontarf and scarbough are not really possible for my plan.

my main plan is that when my dad goes to work (westfield Strathpine) on a sunday morning he drops me and boat and deckie at the water then we leave and he come back later. the other 2 ramps are a little offcourse leaving from THE GAP.

i suppose another allternative would perhapse be tichitamber (not sure on spelling) however it is in the middle of no were to head over to the 4 beacons.

thanks for the responses
cheers phil

searaider
31-12-2004, 07:32 PM
Hi again Phil ,
Even though I may have made the Shorncliffe Boat Ramp sound like the worst ramp in Qld , I think its still better than a lot of others .
You best option would be try & get down there at low tide and suss it out for yourself .
I still launch my 6 meter fiberglass boat there at times , you just have to keep it floating and off the pebbles & concrete ramp .

Peter
Searaider 2

Cheech
01-01-2005, 05:46 AM
Phil,

The Gap, to Shorncliffe, and then to strathpine is a fair hike.

Another option for you would be to use Deep Water Bend on the Pine River. This ramp is only about 10 minutes from Strathpine shopping centre. It has no sand, but has a pontoon that you can pull up to. Then as long as you have a couple of catchers at the trailer when you motor to the ramp, you should not have any problems getting it out of the water.

That way your dad will be more inclined to let you use it more regularly as it will not be a lot out of his way.

Is then about 10 minutes boat ride to the mouth of the river (which is where that Clontarf ramp is). So I suppose not that much farther than using Shorncliffe.

Cheech