PDA

View Full Version : Centre console for Straddie beach launching

chris_h
29-12-2004, 05:17 AM
Would you please help and give me advice on what would be best for launching from the beach at Point Lookout - centre console, 18 to 20ft with bimini, live bait tanks etc - I am looking for something that can handle the kids through to light tackle billfishing
thanks heaps
Chris

mackmauler
29-12-2004, 07:25 AM
locally the kiwi craft and ocean cylindres are the best imo, have launched mine into the surf quiet a few times there, anyone can make you a livebait tank.
rob

Big_Kev
29-12-2004, 02:00 PM
Formosa have a nice and high transome for this type launch, if you can't afford the other quality boats as rob has mentioned.
They make a 5.2mtr I don't know about a 6mtr.
But that is all you will realy need to get to the bills from the point.
Rob slay's em in his OC. :)

GBC
30-12-2004, 07:34 AM
:-/ High sides? Been beach launchin for a while now, and believe me, self drainer with next to no freeboard is the go. If one is going to crack on you it's best to get the water in and get it out again real quick. Don't mistake the ability to stay dry (most of the time) with seaworthiness. By the way have you seen a pressed tinny pop off the ribs when it cops a gut full of water? Funny to watch as long as it's someone else's.... Don't mean to upset anyone, just care about fellow fishers safety.

Richo1
05-01-2005, 03:51 AM
GBC, just as a matter of interest what boat do you use? I've never done beach launching in anything bigger than a 4m tinny, and only in calm surf. One day looking to upgrade my tinny for something a bit more capable and like the idea of self draining floor.
Cheers Richo :)

drb
05-01-2005, 12:01 PM
A self drainer is only any good if the scuppers are large enough. I would personally rather a boat where any water taken over the side lies beneath the water line, that way the boat will still be stable (ie float the right way up :) ) A self drainer with pissy little drain holes will carry all the water above the water line, make it unstable and will probably be flipped on the next wave.

If you can't get rid of the water as fast as it comes in then it is better to have that water down low. remember the "herald of free enterprise"

my 2 cents worth

daz