PDA

View Full Version : Dealer or Mobile

Spaniard_King
01-01-2005, 03:41 AM
Hi guys,

I am looking at setting up a mobile outboard service with a major brands backing so I would have full dealer access to parts, accessories and technical support.

Only going to do it as a second job at the moment, as I want to see if there is a requirement for this sort of work.

On the Gold coast there are 2 dealers for this brand already but they have enough work coming in to not have to go out and do services onsite.

I am only doing this as I was approached by this outboard brand to set this buisness up.

Garry

Cheech
01-01-2005, 05:31 AM
I started using a recommended mobile guy when I bought my first boat. On my second boat now and still using him.

Is a heap more convenient not having to leave home, you get to hang around and see what is being done. Get to ask questions and learn, and know that you are not getting ripped off as you know the items were replaced and the work was done that appears on the invoice.

If I got a new motor that had to be serviced under warranty then I would do as required for the warranty, and then when the warranty ran out I would be straight back to my mobile guy.

If you were able to do that warranty work at my home then would definately use you as my experiences with mobile service is very good.

cooky
01-01-2005, 06:12 AM
I use Tonys Mobile Marine in TOwnsville and he's very good. VERY helpful and owns his business, therefore goes out of his way. A tradie with great customer service.

I think if you offer genuine friendly/caring customer service with quality technical skills - you can't go wrong. He has a good set-up too - newish mid sized truck with fully enclosed rear (similar to coldroom set-up) - has the majority of spare parts, etc needed on organised shelves and of course all tools needed. He has a laptop and printer in the cab and can take VISA - when finished he prints out an itemised invoice (through MYOB or QUICKBOOKS - preset codes) to hand to you.

This guy also has a shed in an industrial estate to do bigger jobs on or if the client wants the work done away from home - he tows your boat with his truck.

I have since referred him to a few of my mates. It's so easy when you can organise a service to happen while your at work - don't have to tow your boat anywhere or organise to pick it up.

I didn't even meet him on the first service - organised from work over the phone - paid by visa over phone - he came and went and left a copy of the receipt.

Heath
01-01-2005, 08:02 AM
Where is option 5?

I take my boat to guy down the road who knows all about outboards ;D ;D ;D

If it pans out, its a winner [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Spaniard_King
01-01-2005, 08:37 AM
Sorry Heath ;)

forgot that option of bring it to me...lol

Needmorerum
01-01-2005, 11:49 AM
I would have no problems using a reccommended mobile mechanic. Word of mouth has the biggest success rate yet.
Pity we have none up here in our area, I do know of a bloke that comes up our way from Bundy, and also know alot of boat owners that are lined up for him when he gets here.
I would love to get rid of the hassles of having to take the boat in and drop it in a vacant yard on the way to work, then pick it up afterwards if it is finished on time.

Corry

Spaniard_King
04-01-2005, 09:36 AM
There must be more people out there with boats.

maybe they just never get them serviced ???

Garry

DaneCross
04-01-2005, 12:17 PM
I would definitly use a mobile service. With all the trouble I've had recently with the usless, ignorant, arrogant expletives at Springwood Marine I'm looking to change mechanics at the moment. As it is I have to get someone to tow the boat up there anyway (as I don't drive). Therefore, I'm not only putting someone else out but I don't get to go up there, see the work thats been done, explain what needs to be done, etc, etc. I would also love to watch the work being done so I can learn a bit my self about the workings of an outboard. I'm all for it Garry, I'll be your first customer ;) ;D
Dane

Dignity
04-01-2005, 02:50 PM
Garry, what area are you considering servicing. I live south side brisbane and currently get my rig serviced by Neptunes at springwood (Dane gave SM the flick years ago - try N's until Garry gets up and going). N's give a really grest service and you can talk to them and get all the old parts back and they don't charge like wounded bulls. I will keep using them at this stage, their only hassle is they don't have a lot of parking area and like Dane I need to take special time off to drop off and pick up. I like the idea of a mobile service and would seriously consider using it. BTW Garrry I have a 1990 150 merc.

Spaniard_King
04-01-2005, 03:31 PM
Hi Guys,

not sure of the area I will be covering yet but I don't think I would be knocking too much work back ;)

Garry

Dignity
04-01-2005, 03:34 PM
I will watch this space

popzitterati
04-01-2005, 05:09 PM
I bought my boat at Springwood Marine and agree with DC. Because I am out in the Redlands Area of Brisbane I have been using a sorta mobile mechanic called Trevor at TMC Outboards at Mt Cotton. He used to be mobile but now you have to take it to his workshop but he will come and collect your boat from the barge ramps if you are on the Bay Islands. Nice honest and affordable guy.

DaneCross
05-01-2005, 06:59 AM
Thanks for the tips fellas.
Dignity, I couldn't find Neptunes in the white pages, could you post their number for future reference?
Popzitterati, I'm not far from Mt Cotton, probly closer to Springwood, but I'm willing to trade a few k's for better service.
Cheers,
Dane

Dignity
05-01-2005, 09:58 AM
Dane, here 'tis

Neptune Marine Services
6 Carlyle St Slacks Creek 4127 (07) 3208 2979

Cheers, Sam

Fishin_Dan
05-01-2005, 04:37 PM
Spaniard... Check your PM.

Black_Jack
05-01-2005, 06:37 PM
Spaniard_King

I have a 225 merc 97 model, I think having some one with a good reputation and good rates doing house calls is great. This would be some thing i would consider

I live in the Cleveland area and have always gone to boat shops for the servicing.

Geoff

adrian
06-01-2005, 03:32 AM
i live at helensvale and hope to soon have my boat down here with me 1996 40 hp envinrude and will be looking for someone to service it hopefully moblie i'll be watching this space

anzac