PDA

View Full Version : Whats In A Name

steve_n
07-01-2005, 03:14 PM
Cant think of a name for my boat. Had it two years and nothing seems to suit. :-/ :-/ :-/
Is a name important? Should a name say something about the boat or the owner? Has anyone else got the same problem?
How did you think up yours? ???
Steve
with the boat with no name :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Dignity
07-01-2005, 05:08 PM
after 2 years how about "Bi Angler"

that might get you a few bites you weren't anticipating

personally, always had probs with naming - last one was named for me when I bought it

I understand there is considerable superstition surrounding boat names eg if you change an existing name there is supposed to be a whole lot of things you need to go through eg the original name must still be on the boat somewhere other wise you will forever be plagued with bad luck, there is a blessing ritual etc - the colour green should not be in the name or used on the boat (hell of a lot of signatures out there in green colours) - was going to research the subject once but now to think of it now that I have a little time on my hands (enforced thru health) I just might delve into it.

Sam

redspeckle
07-01-2005, 05:12 PM
well steve-n the name i came up ? with its what they called me at work redspeckle (dickfish) the bit in brackets i had to remove to obscene when thinking of a name for your boat it can of your favorite fish the you catch, your nickname, kids name,
missus name( if you want to go that far),or some happen to you while out fishing eg get penlty of tangles then name boat tangles i hope this is some help to you
redspeckle

cooky
07-01-2005, 06:17 PM
i named mine a few weeks ago - Titanic II

after I took a smart arse mate of mine fishing. He tends to think he's funny - still calls my cat '20' 6 years later because he knows I bought it for $20.

So with him out the mines i thought I'd get the boat labelled so he gets a shock next fishing trip.

lucky I've got another mate with a vinyl cutting machine so can change it to pretty much anything whenever.

Needmorerum
07-01-2005, 06:30 PM
I'm not a big one into names, I've not bought a boat before cause of the name on it. My wife strongly believes in the no re-naming of a boat. All our ski boats were unnamed except for one. There was another one that had a name on it, I polished it off and put a small sticker of it's name on the top corner of the transom. You could only read it if you were within 1m of the back of the boat.
It is true about the colours, 'Blue and Green should never be seen', therefore there should never be a green boat on blue water. That's why I reckon my Cruise Craft is Aqua, not green.

Corry

Morlers
08-01-2005, 02:14 PM
Named my first boat 'Dragon Lady' after my Ol' Girl (it is what the kids called her...with all the best love and affection meant). To keep up the tradition, I named the second boat 'Sea Dragon' as I wanted a dragon in there somewhere (the Ol' Girl is my deckie).

Check out these sites for some boat names:
http://www.boatnames.com.au/
(has the renaming ritual also on the site)
http://www.namethatboat.com/popular-boat-names.htm

When you find one use 'Ausfish' to order the names.

Trust that helps

:) :)

Morlers

Gorilla_in_Manila
08-01-2005, 02:38 PM
Steve,
Call it
ThebOatWithnonaME!
(Read the capitals)
;D
Cheers
Jeff

Foxie
09-01-2005, 05:57 AM
A few of the boat names of my mates boats are Separator as it separats him from his wife and from his money, Roarus named after a night on the rum "roarus a pum" Allan name of a bondy[bondwood boat] my last big boat was called Foxsea-1 And my mates named my last barra boat Highly after the sea going dredge that works along the Qld coast. or Highly likely I've hit that sandbar and done a bit of dredging.

Dignity
09-01-2005, 02:24 PM
here is a more detailed version of renaming a boat

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/rename.htm

seems like a lot of champers has to be spilled in the process