PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic Steering for small outboards

cheno
09-01-2005, 12:31 PM
I am keen to fit hydraulic steering to my polycraft centre console as the existing teleflex steering is total pain when trolling solo or even with two up. I had considered a little raymarine sportpilot autopilot but gave the idea away when looking at the difference in price compred with hydraulic. With the hydraulic systems I'm at a bit of a loss in 2 areas.

First, Side mount vs. centre mount. I noticed that the side mount kits are usually about 200 bucks cheaper than the front, bullhorn types. What are the pros and cons of the side mount kits? If they deliver just as good performance I guess I'd be a fool not to get one of them if they fit.

Second, there are a few brands, Hydrive and Baystar come to mind. I dont know if they are all similar quality or not, and if each has different things to watch out for.

cheers

cheno

dfox
09-01-2005, 02:07 PM
Ive only ever used bullhorn type set ups, but i know you have to be careful no-one stands on the side mount types..

aido
09-01-2005, 03:51 PM
i've got a hydrive bullhorn system it's great.
kerry pointed out once that the ram movement when
the motor is tilted up/down causes the hoses to also
move but i havn't had any problems yet.
all the same it's a good point and i carry spare fluid and
a spanner to fit the b-nuts now just in case a line ever
did come off.
the point and forget no feedback is unbeatable for trolling
and anything else.

T-REX
09-01-2005, 04:02 PM
Cheno,
I've fitted a Hydrive side mount and couldn't be happier. You need to have plenty of clearance off the side of the motor and if your outboard is mounted on a pod or bracket you shouldn't have any problems. Wells are a different story. Hydrive is Australian Made and as dfox says make sure no one uses the RAM as a step.
Choice is up to you.

Tracker
09-01-2005, 04:12 PM
cheno
I have a side mount ona 5.2 tinny 60 x4st and would not change. depends what fits your o/board well.
tr

cheno
09-01-2005, 04:25 PM
Thanks fellas,

Just did the measurements for a side mount kit. The new hydrive sport side mount only needs 315mm but it looks like I'm gone for distance there :'( I guess its going to have to be the more expensive front mount/bullhorn kit for me- doh.

cheno

Payneful
09-01-2005, 06:42 PM
Just put the bullhorn type on my boat and couldn't be happier .... once you go hydraulic you will never go back :)

Sam.

cheno
10-01-2005, 04:31 AM
Sam

what brand did you end up fitting?

cheno

Spaniard_King
10-01-2005, 07:20 AM
I Have Hynautic on my rig...very good but it's pricey

Garry

Bowser
10-01-2005, 09:48 AM
Cheno, have you considered fitting NFB steering in place of your existing cable steering. Would be a hell of a lot cheaper and you get the same result. I have it and you can work around the boat if you want and it doesn't change course. Don't want to fall overboard though lol

cheno
10-01-2005, 10:28 AM
Bowser,

NFB ? I'm guessing thats No Feedback Steering right? I'm not sure what the technology is that you refer to. The existing steering is push/pull teleflex.

cheno

Kerry
10-01-2005, 03:51 PM
I Have Hynautic on my rig...very good but it's pricey....

The Hynuatic front mount when compared to something like a bullhorn is like chaulk and cheese, the bullhorn ::) is simply a waste of space ;D

BTW Spaniard, is that where the ar.. of your boat sits in the water all the time ???

Cheers, Kerry.

Payneful
10-01-2005, 03:57 PM
Cheno

I have the Hydrive one.

Sam

davo
10-01-2005, 05:14 PM
I have Hydroflex bull horn and my father the side mount Hydrive. Both are fine. Although the side mount seems more bulky you must remember that bull horn needs to have hydrallic lines long enough to turn from lock to lock where as the side mount the pipework is much neater as it don't move.

Spaniard_King
10-01-2005, 05:25 PM
Kerry,

This is a pic of the setup for the boats at my work (4), I have the same ram on my 130Honda. The pic you see is of a 225 Honda of which there are only 3 x 20" engines in the country..thats why they are so low. Honda are not bringing anymore 20inch engines into the country as we have problems being so low in the water (O2). I don't think anyone has a 20 inch 4 stroke anymore.Forgot to mention that these boats have 250ltr ballast tanks onboard for wakeboarding...it was full when pic was taken.

regards

Garry