PDA

View Full Version : Locking the boat onshore

bungie
10-01-2005, 06:03 PM
I'm looking at trying to stop people getting into my boat while its sitting close to the road at home, thinking of something along the lines of a fitted tarp with a wire fed through eyelets in the tarp and on the trailer with a padlock on the end. Anybody seen or have this sort of thing ...... wondering what it might cost

qcr
11-01-2005, 03:04 AM
I think there is a device that sets off an alarm when the domes on the cover are popped I would like to know more about this also

Dignity
11-01-2005, 04:05 AM
Bungie, I have seen some one do what you are proposing. Use some rope initially to get the length you need, it will need to go below the water line. Go along to a chandler and buy some stainless wire you can get it plastic coated. At home run the wire through the eyelets and swage/crimp a thimble in each end and use a padlock. I have also read about the item qcr is talking about but have not seen one.

ps: I live south side brisbane and have a crimper that you could borrow.

Sam

Wezza
11-01-2005, 10:44 AM
Or if you dont get the wire that is plastic coated you can electrify it!!! ;D

NQCairns
11-01-2005, 01:05 PM
Bungie you can buy bloody loud alarms that are movement/vibration activated, run on batterys and are quite cheap. We have one that fits on a door knob and is not activated by the knob turning but any movement while opening. I am sure there would be other ones for different applications that you could adapt. Only problem is everytime you go to get in it will be a scramble to turn it off, no idea how you would finish doing up the tarp either ;D ;D

bungie
11-01-2005, 01:45 PM
Or the wind like we are having at the moment. (Holidaying at Maroochy)

ScottB
11-01-2005, 01:57 PM
Hi Guys
As featured in Club Marine Magazine several months ago http:// www.canvassnapalarm.com Australian distributor is Marine Marketing 0411 419 592

peterbo3
11-01-2005, 04:00 PM
There are pressure sensitive floor mats available from most of the alarm outlets. These sit on the floor & are activated when they are stood on or when they are lifted up. 12V with remote isolating switch.