PDA

View Full Version : Boat names

MTpockets
15-06-2004, 09:15 PM
I drove past a house at Jacobs Well monday and the boat sitting in the front yard was named "Costa Lotta"
Great name for a boat I thought.
I have owned 3 boats in my time and have always named them "MTpockets"
What are some of the boat names you have seen , or owned.....
cheers
Les

Zeeke
15-06-2004, 09:23 PM
owned 1 boat.. its named Lure Assassin... previously it was called Water Wolf

my old man has had a few boats.. but 1 i can remember him talking about when i was pre-stain on the grundies (few years ago).. he had a 16ft fibreglass frontrunner called "Maidens Water" and then when i was a lil fella.. he has 2 boats.. a 17ft haines hunter cruisecraft.. called Agro (had Agro decal on it too. from the kids TV show) and a tinny called "Tiny Tin" which ended up cracking to pieces after skating across old woman island

Tim

gavsgonefishing
16-06-2004, 01:16 AM
Zeeke, what was he doing picking on old woman island ;D

squire
16-06-2004, 03:42 AM
les my Last boat was an 18ft cuddy cab brand newy and my ex made sure i had to sell it. so before i parted with it i named it. "FARQBEC" yep thats right her name was bec. ;D

MTpockets
16-06-2004, 05:57 AM
hahaha, great name.... I tend to think that all ex-wives get recruted into a special club and inherit "Megabitchiness", a common disease caught when normal women face divorce/seperation from men.
Funny how they all become the same type eh?
My ex actually was born with that disease and was only diagnosed 1.36 seconds after the priest uttered " I now pronounce........"
Good story though ;D
cheers
Les

squire
16-06-2004, 06:05 AM
hahahahha Les A truer word has never been spoken. If only they realised they could charge membership for that club. oh hangon maybe they have "spousal maintianence" :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

dnej
16-06-2004, 06:24 AM
How about" Fairly Olde"
Hey Les, how is the planning for the bow rollers going
David
PS I have found another fabricator as well

MTpockets
16-06-2004, 06:30 AM
Hi David,
I just got off the phone with the valuator and will see him in the morning. Looking good for about 4 weeks now :)
Now ya gunna have to share the new fabricator dude, cant go dropping a hint then bugger orf LOL......
cheers
Les

runamuk
16-06-2004, 06:34 AM
Ive owned 3 boats now with my first being a v19r haines called ANIMAL, then a 25 bertram called RUNAMUK ,now i have a 21ft caribbean reefrunner called LIVEWIRE.

Barrymundi
16-06-2004, 08:14 AM
Finally named my boat

MTpockets
16-06-2004, 08:46 AM
Nice effect, was it done by a sign writer? and how much?
cheers
Les

Barrymundi
16-06-2004, 09:21 AM
Was done through a sign company, just stickers, I put them on, not as easy as it looked on the instructions.

Cost $275

Ausfish can do the signs for a good price.

Al

megafish71
16-06-2004, 09:42 AM
Well I had a few boats over the years and not 1 has had a name. But my new boat just had to be named, after looking at countless second hand units for around the $35k mark and not finding a single boat to fill our needs we purchased a newy
for lets say, more than the original budgeted amount.
Hence our new boat was named "BUDGET BLOWER".

Dr_Dan
16-06-2004, 01:03 PM
saw a boat calle REEBA EVAH once. thought it was pretty good name! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

littlejim
16-06-2004, 02:14 PM
best one I saw (trailer sailer) was 'Sailbad the Sinner'

If I rename mine I thought I'd go for '42', or 'forty two' or 'forty 2'.

beatle
16-06-2004, 02:32 PM
My wifes name is Sue and I was tempted to call my boat Runaground Sue but as I don't mind having a drink or two I named my boat Sir Rosis Of The River.-Beatle [smiley=beatnik.gif]

rodbender
16-06-2004, 02:56 PM
the fraser i own now is called sherri lea after mydaughter as the shark cat i had befor it.the boat b4 that a haines called rodbender b4 that 1/2 cabin crus called in for a dip that all rodbender

SeaSaw
16-06-2004, 05:59 PM
When I purchased my boat it was already called "Sea Saw" which I thought was a bit of a silly name and I didn't really understand why you would call a boat that. ??? However, being superstitious about boats, I didn't want to change the name in case it bought bad luck.

I owned the boat for 2 years when out of a chinese fortune cooky came the riddle "Q:how to you cut through the waves" - "A:with a a Sea Saw". It took a fortune cookie for me to realise the meaning of my boats name. [smiley=hammer.gif]

Mark

GBC
18-06-2004, 09:31 AM
I never needed a boat name until I entered a fishing comp last year and saw all the macho names on the rigs at waddy pt. Decided to go one better and called it "Great Big Cock" - Gave the comp officials a laugh each morning at log-on time. The name stuck, now all I need is a picture of a rooster to stick on along with the boat name so I don't get some sort of fine from a copper who doesn't have such a good sense of humour.
Cheers,

GBC

MAD-MIC
18-06-2004, 10:00 AM
How about

Far Canal ;D

Screamin Seamen ;D ;D

MAD-MIC
18-06-2004, 10:08 AM
How about

Far Canal ;D

Screamin Semen ;D ;D

Hutcho
18-06-2004, 12:36 PM
I saw a boat "Farkn Hull"

Like it.....

squire
19-06-2004, 05:35 AM
I saw this one the other day "MY ALLOWANCE" thought it was pretty cool.

reef05
19-06-2004, 12:07 PM
hi Les my last boat was a 4.1m stessco named "dough boy" i'm a baker by trade and the wife chose the name.I now own a 5m fisher plate alloy boat named "reef dingo".

MTpockets
19-06-2004, 12:27 PM
hi Les my last boat was a 4.1m stessco named "dough boy" i'm a baker by trade and the wife chose the name.I now own a 5m fisher plate alloy boat named "reef dingo".

That is something like the boat I have always wanted ::)
How much would a bloke pay for a boat like yours reef05?
cheers
Les

boatboy50
19-06-2004, 05:37 PM
Hi Guys,
Ive had a few boats.
Two good names were.
A 1975 Seafarer that had been rebuilt, repowered, rebuilt, repowered, stolen and finally recovered mostly intact, so thought an adequate name was "Nine Lives".
A Hydrofield Jaguar 18. I had always wanted one since i was a young kid watching them on tele powering through the pin bar whitewater, so when i finally got it, named it
"Try Dreaming"
Am thinking of a name for the new rig.
Regards
Darren

MY-TopEnder
19-06-2004, 06:05 PM
I'm stuffed for what to name mine...

Needmorerum
19-06-2004, 09:45 PM
Well I hope no one takes it personally, but I am not a fan of boats with names on them. I believe that it can make it harder to sell if it has a name on it. I know we all buy them not to sell them but to enjoy them, but just about every boat that has been bought has been sold. I have actually not bought a boat because of it's name, and as it has been mentioned it is supposed to be bad luck to rename a boat or to have a green boat on blue water. What some people reckon is cool for a name, other could think it is the most stupidiest thing.
Just my two bobs worth.

Corry

Oh Damn, look at the time, better get another Rum.

Smithy
20-06-2004, 03:27 AM
Contintuing with the Far theme.

Far Canal
Far Cough
Far Quirk
Far King Mine

Other one by the guy who now has Far Cough.

Secret Mens Business

blaze
20-06-2004, 04:03 AM
I think when naming a boat you have to keep in mind the need to log in or call coast watch for help
cheers
blaze

darren
20-06-2004, 07:18 AM
Hevent put my name on my boat yet but I call it GROG HUNTER and I stay well away from wales and seals and greenpeace. ;D ;D cheers Darren

Cloud_9
20-06-2004, 08:15 AM
well my 2 are Cloud 9 and The Tittanic.
but my 1st was Rock Bottom.
2nd was Just Cruzin.
had other names in resirve for boats, All R's. The Other Woman.
The Office. R D O.

have a few more for when i win the lotto.

Cheers Cloud 9

reef05
20-06-2004, 01:18 PM
Hi Les, the bmt package that I had put together didn' give me much change from $40,000 sounds expensive but I wouldnt trade her in for any thing.Handles well in most conditions,to go fishing here we have to cross the wide bay bar and I have never had a problem touch wood.The picture was taken just befor she was fitted with a 90hp 4-stroke suzuki which pushes her along nicely.

Big_Kev
20-06-2004, 04:41 PM
Good point about the call sign Blaze.
It should be simple and easily defined on the radio.

I do agree that some names are strange to say the least, but as long as the owner is happy with the name then that is all that is important.After all it takes imagination to think a good name up and some names you see are just plain worn out ones.

Jamie the Just Crusin is infamous around these parts nowdays. I have seen a few boats called that though.
Cheers Kev. :)

banshee
20-06-2004, 05:24 PM
I haven't seen the boat in question but I hear him log on and off from time to time,he always brings a laugh to my old mate and me,"Selfish Pig".

Barrymundi
21-06-2004, 05:08 AM
I listened to the radio yesterday whilst out fishing, we had a fishing comp on Townsville.
A boat called DICK - Coast Guard had trouble contacting him after he logged his trip sheet, constant calling DICK.

Another called - OBSESSION - Boat could not be contacted after missing return time. Through relaying around other boats OBSEESION called in wanting to know what they wanted, wrong OBSESSION, the real OBSESSION called in 45 minutes after it should have been at RAMP advising it would be late.

Bays to be unique and keep in touch with the Rescue group.

I must say that the majority of chatter on the Radio in Townsville is professional and we all keep on eye out for each other.

Al

MTpockets
21-06-2004, 07:01 AM
I have to ask.... if the coast guard took logs from 2 boats with the same name, should they not have asked for greater clarification? Like Obsession 1 and obsession 2? I can only assume the logs were recorded by 2 different radio operators.
Makes good sense to be a member of the coast guard, if only for ID purposes maybe?
cheers
Les

Barrymundi
21-06-2004, 09:43 AM
Sorry MT, only one OBSESSION logged in. When they couldnt contact it the other OBSESSION was told via some mates Coast Guard was chasing him.

Al

MTpockets
21-06-2004, 09:51 AM
ahhh cool, had to be a simple explanation ;D
well at least simple for me..... not too bright at the moment damn flu .... hmmm whats all these achoo's on my monitor... amazing what comes outta ones mouth eh..... :-X
cheers
Les

Big_Kev
21-06-2004, 03:11 PM
Wipe the screen MT.
Two boats with the same call sign(heard it before) is why the I would think that the rego is always called for.(good reason for an original if weird name).
Bad habit not to call in for running late. Good ettiquet should always be practiced as the coast guard guys take their roll seriously and if you need them it will be serious also.
Cheers Kev. [smiley=laola.gif]for the VMR guys

MTpockets
23-06-2004, 09:16 AM
My mate and I were just yakkin on the phone and he reminded me of a time we were fishing at cottontree. We saw a boat named "Stumpy" and they were onto some sort of submarine and were playing it for about 30 mins till they got snapped off. Later on we saw them at the boat ramp as we were pulling ours out and were wondering why they named the boat stumpy when in fact it was a pretty big boat. When it pulled up one bloke jumps out and he was like 3foot tall and the other guy gets out and he had part of his leg missing, from the knee down. Old mate looks at me with a wierd look on his face and at the same time we both shrugged and headed off. I later met the dwarf (yes he calls himself a dwarf) at the place we were camping (Munna Point Caravan park) and is a local at Noosa. All my kids even knew him :) His nickname was stumpy and was actually the guy who was the gobbledock in the smiths chips add on TV years ago.... you know the add..... chipy chipy chipy.....
The boat wasn't his though, so the origin of the boat name is still a mystery.
I would like to bet that some Ausfisho's know the bloke I am talking about. He is a local up there at Noosa and is a BIG fishing fan just lives for fishing :D.
cheers
Les

john_fox
24-06-2004, 12:09 PM
I saw a little sailing cat called "sailbad the sinner"
Renard

Fin_Addict
08-08-2004, 06:50 PM
My SeaFarer Viking is named 'SKIRT-CHASER'. Got abused on the way back from chasing marlin off the Sunshine Coast by an ugly feminist one day.She didn't believe me when i said i'd seen a great pic of a malin chasing a skirted lure.Hence the name 'SKIRT-CHASER". :)

MTpockets
08-08-2004, 09:34 PM
Well today I got my boat name stickers from Steve. For the first time ever after owning 3 boats all named MTpockets, I can finally get to put the name on the hull. Now where to put the name without it looking silly? Wherever I hold it, still dont look right. Spose as long as its straight, who cares LOL
cheers
Les

Mr__Bean
09-08-2004, 12:52 AM
Still wondering about whether to put a name on mine.

Wife came up with Obsession because I am always working on the boat (and not with her), same old story.

It is an 8 metre plate ally, some I have been pondering over:

SHORE CAN
TINY TIN
BIG BIRD

Any ideas??

- Bean

blaze
09-08-2004, 03:16 AM
pretty tough coming up with a boat name at times, but as i said eaarlier in this post we need to be aware that when a call on the radio goes out for help (heaven forbid, we all hope its never) that the name is easy to understand and its not mistaken for a crank type call, because at times, seconds can mean every thing
cheers
blaze

bassfanatic5
09-08-2004, 02:28 PM
My cousin named his "Pist'n Broke" and his old mans is Dam Easy.

landy1
09-08-2004, 04:00 PM
My all time favourite is from one of the lads on here. "Dances with Flathead"

subzero
09-08-2004, 04:47 PM
My boat was called Ikan Ferry.. Think the name had something to do with carting lost souls across the river Hades to hell... (Didnt like the name, but it came with it), was always going to rename that to "Go Kiwi", wanted to log on in the bay and have VMR call me up 3 times on the initial contact, "Go Kiwi Go Kiwi Go Kiwi", anyway had to many problems with the motor so I got rid of it.
Looked forward to hearing that call when the Warriors and All Blacks were playing...
No comments please about last nights game [smiley=bigcry.gif]

aussiebasser
09-08-2004, 04:55 PM
Geez I wonder who that is. ::)

landy1
09-08-2004, 05:06 PM
I swear im gonna pinch that name of you one day Dale, my luck you thought of it first. ::)
cheers
Mick

Sportfish_5
09-08-2004, 05:35 PM
My next boat will be called "Billable Hours" but I will need to do a few of those before that happens ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers

Greg

DR
10-08-2004, 04:31 AM
Mine is 'FELIX' because it is a cat.

moondancer
10-08-2004, 06:53 AM
Love some of he names I've read here!!

My little tinny was called the Conference Room, and an earlier one The Floating Fart.

Current one is obviously Moondancer (cos I love Van the Man's moondancer with the right lady!!)

Need to get ausfish to do some stickers for me - thanks to this thread I will get A into Gear and do it!!

Lawry

Jeremy
10-08-2004, 07:02 AM
My boat is called Odyssea (yes spelt with an 'a' at the end = sea). I was going to name it 'Yellow Peril' as it is a very yellow 15 ft CC, but I was a bit concerned about any racist connotations it might have. Often wish I had gone with my first thoughts on that.

Jeremy

jimbamb
11-08-2004, 05:54 AM
My mate Fred called his Kelarcat "Freds Pussy"

aqua
19-08-2004, 03:13 PM
HI Boatboy50, Darren i see you have a Hydrofeild Jag 18. I have the same i named mine HydroMajestic . I have just bought the bigger 6.6 cabin model named it HydroMajestic Too. Selling the 18 after i finish fitting out 6.6. Great boats . Cheers Charlie.

megafish71
20-08-2004, 03:22 AM
Heard a great name an the VHF on the weekend, it was FAR CALL. Made me giggle when I heard the call on the radio.

bazzavic
21-08-2004, 01:40 PM
mines fish n chicks :)

philip_thomson
22-08-2004, 09:25 AM
my dad and i call our boat "encounter" when we bought the boat it had "encounter" written on the side. not sure if that has anything to do with the type of baot but we refer to the boat as "encounter". hopefully i can encounter a few good fish out in it one day. the name "not telling" would make for an interesting conversation.

cheers phil

zedjack33
15-01-2005, 08:49 AM
[smiley=jester.gif] [smiley=jester.gif] [smiley=jester.gif]

Wezza
15-01-2005, 10:44 AM
After much debate over renaming my boat which is currently Modern Miss, I have decided to change it to MissBehaving. I think it suits better. ;D

Fisher_Boats
15-01-2005, 11:05 AM
My brother's got a punt
Call's it "PUNT STRUCK" ::)

Barraholic
15-01-2005, 11:30 AM
I remember seeing a photo of a sharkcat years ago that was called "Wet Pussy" but probably wouldn't fair so well in today's politically correct world.

Although I haven't put in on my edgetracker, I call mine "The Doghouse", so when anyone calls up looking for me the missus can say "he's out in the doghouse at the moment >:( :-[ >:(

baldyhead
15-01-2005, 12:20 PM
My boats name would be..Bald Fat & Ugly one look @ the skipper and you can see why

nisrol
15-01-2005, 12:31 PM
called mine BAYRAGE although the skippers temprament is quit the opposite but hoping it won't confuse the VMR when i log in.
But we can all get a bit hot under the collar when someone inproaches were one is fishing ( and i'm a good shot with a 4oz weight ) might see some of you in the passage as boat will be stored at bribie vmr as acess to the camp site at poverty creek is inacessable behind the 4by

cheers and see ya's on the water andy

DNO40
15-01-2005, 02:47 PM
Seen at the Gladstone ramp....."FAR CANAL"...... Some people push the limits

BladeRunner
15-01-2005, 03:39 PM
After reading through all 7 pages of differnt boat names why dose corrys stand out the the most?
Me my boat is called BladeRunner [smiley=bandana.gif] Because it cuts through the water like a knife.
A ski boat we don't own was called NO MERCY Bloody hard to ski behind because of the wake she put out had a nasty fall once :-[ hence the name
BladeRunner [smiley=bandana.gif]

ali
15-01-2005, 10:13 PM
Hi, mines called hydromajestic, being a hydrofield I think it suits it, name was already on the boat when I purchased it and the singwriting would have cost a fair bit, I like it. cheers stiffrod!

Nathanrb4
15-01-2005, 10:58 PM
A fav of mine is "cuning stunt" which i saw behind a car in townsville afew months back.

Spaniard_King
16-01-2005, 01:51 AM
Recon I got my boats name just right "MEGABITE" ;D

Wezza
16-01-2005, 05:20 AM
Spaniard, That is a top Pic!!! What a shot!

Heath
16-01-2005, 10:35 AM
It is, isn't it ;D [smiley=thumbsup.gif]