PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest Electronics

Blue_Escape
13-01-2005, 11:25 AM
Any thoughts on the cheapest electronic supplier??? Specifically Lowrance / Humminbird.

whiteman
14-01-2005, 06:59 AM
Do a web search. I ended up buying my Lowrance x135 from a Townsville boat dealer as he matched the price at BIAS and Whitworths and he could give me a lot of advice on transducer mounts (which is REALLY important).

QldKev
14-01-2005, 09:44 AM
You can get end of model runouts from
http://www.emjay.net.au/emjay_001.htm
a lot cheaper ;D ;D ;D

gif
14-01-2005, 01:14 PM
I found that BIAS is usually about the best.

Going to a boat show - gets the very best prices, not the first day but prices seem to drop over the days.

US imports involve some problems - they are under some code " sonar" which makes them military stuff - so one off mail orders are not legal without heaps of paperwork.

Do you have a product in mind?

Blue_Escape
15-01-2005, 03:54 AM
Thanks Kev - emjay have some good pricing, I'll have to keep an eye on them.

Gary, yeh Bias is pretty good, but still looking for a 'sharper deal'! Most likely will try and hangout for the Brissie boat show...I'm looking at either Humminbird Matrix (familiarity - old unit is Humminbird) or Lowrance x125/135 (for Hi-Res).

Cheers
Blue

drb
15-01-2005, 09:05 AM
emjay have some good pricing, I'll have to keep an eye on them.

First product I looked at was a Garmin GPS72 @ 365 while others have it at $299.00 while I got mine @ the boat show for $280.

Half the emjay web site is not working and it looks very amatuerish and home made which I belive is a good reason to shop elsewhere

my 2 cents worth

Dazz

baldyhead
15-01-2005, 12:30 PM
Maybe you should consider buying from the US. I have just had delivered a VHF radio that retails @ $519 in a catalog with a lot of red on it for $246 landed @ my door. As you can see that is LESS than HALF price. The cheapest that I could get here in Aust was $499.
cheers baldy

gif
15-01-2005, 03:27 PM
Baldy

read above

Sounders are Sonar devices with military restrictions on export ( would you believe) - too much paperwork for a sale of one sounder

... sorry but I have been there

Mick-P
15-01-2005, 07:55 PM
As already suggested look at buying from the states if you want to save some money, in particular Ebay. There are a lot of shops that sell overstocked products on there. I purchased a Matrix 37 a couple of months ago from the states and it was just over $400 Aus delivered to my door in 6 days from when I paid for it. Also got the GPS antenna from another company in the states for $100 Aus delivered.

Meaurements are in feet, farenheit, and MPH. But I can live with that and also the money I saved. ;D

drdonjuan9
16-01-2005, 06:53 AM
i wonder if you can do a bios upgrade so you can get the metric units for your sounder..... ;D
good deal though

predator
16-01-2005, 07:15 AM
Sounders are Sonar devices with military restrictions on export ( would you believe) - too much paperwork for a sale of one sounder ....I am thinking that this is just the US dealers. >:(

Try Ebay USA...
I have bought a number of brand new sounders from the states, including Matrix's and a lowrance lcx 18 colour sounder landed for $650au. Make sure you check the sellers feedback. I have never encounted any problems at all. Here within 6 days...... ;D

Blue_Escape
16-01-2005, 09:46 AM
Mick,
can I ask whether it was a private or 'shop' (& which one) on ebay you bought your matrix off?? I have had a bit of a look but still not sure about the feet/farenheit thing ??? Although the dollars saved are certainly attractive ;D I did check with Humminbird and the 'American' models on ebay can't be software/bios converted to metric.

gif
16-01-2005, 10:31 AM
when I looked - 6 months ago

Humminbird released 2 models US and international - ( feet and optional feet or metres)

Thats how they keep two separate pricing structures alive so well.

Furuno were identical

I think Lowrance / Eagle are both dual measures.

Gary

drb
16-01-2005, 07:13 PM
Heres a thought....

You nice new sounder that you just bought via ebay (which you are legally required to declare and pay import duty and GST on) develops a fault.

Do you..
a) expect the local dealer to warranty the item
b) ship it back to ebaymember9999 at your expen$e and wait forever for a new one
c)pay to have it fixed if parts for that model are available in Australia
d)throw it in the bin and buy a new one off a reputable Aussie dealer.

Those of you who buy off ebay just to save a few bucks are not really saving in the long run. It is unfair to expect local dealers to provide support for items that you have imported. You must realise that if your serial number does not match an item distrubuited by the local guys they have no obligation to provide you with a warranty or parts.

Not to mention the damamge being done to the local economy. How would you guys like it if we shipped all your business off to some other country?

predator
16-01-2005, 07:46 PM
Those of you who buy off ebay just to save a few bucks are not really saving in the long run.

I would say it was a hell of a saving with the lowrance(brand new in a factory sealed box), as the price of this unit in Oz when I was looking around, was over 2 grand.....

It is unfair to expect local dealers to provide support for items that you have imported.

So how much are they charging for their "support" when I can buy it and have it shipped here for a third of the price?

For a saving like that I'll take a chance.... ;)

drb
17-01-2005, 06:07 AM
Well predator, these guys have to put food on the table, as well as pay overheads wages etc....

what do you do for a living...

predator
17-01-2005, 09:18 AM
these guys have to put food on the table, as well as pay overheads wages etc

And I dont.... :o

The money I saved puts a lot of food on MY family's table.. :)