PDA

View Full Version : Volvo Penta or Mercruiser?

Mustang
10-01-2005, 09:56 PM
Any Marine mechanics out there have an opinion on these 2 donks?

In this day and age you probably couldn't go wrong with either but i'd like to hear what you guys think.

Kerry
11-01-2005, 05:29 AM
Forget the mechanic bit but as for an opinion well .....

In this day and age one really needs to analyse that this is the best option?

There's no mention of boat type, boat length, if moored or trailered, are they petrol or diesel on legs on shafts etc etc and all these have a bearing on the best outcome.

These days, for mine there really would have to be no other/better option before spending the dollars initially as well as the downstream maintenance costs on these types of setups/engines and especially sterndrives and especially if moored.

Cheers, Kerry.

drevil
11-01-2005, 08:06 AM
I have a 5l MPI Mercruiser with the Bravo 3 leg that has duo props. I love the prop setup, it gives you better thrust and is excellent when reversing. Can't comment on the Volvo.

Mustang
11-01-2005, 03:04 PM
Cheers drevil,good to hear from someone who understands the question.

Much appreciated.

dfox
11-01-2005, 04:02 PM
Mate i love the duo prop set ups the thrust is awsome, as for brands, ive used and operated a number of desiel set ups in kad 42s and 43s. Most have been good, but in resent times the price of such engines has really increased, from say 26 grand in 96 to some rediculous price now.I hear that merc have resently released some new engines lately and they sound impressive but im afraid youl have to research them as i havent any detailed data. Personally i like the volvos but i wouldnt overlook the yanmah. Without knowing what size engines your looking at its hard to comment, but do plenty of research, heres a pic of twin kad 42s pusing 7tonnes of boat at 31 knotts,

Big_Kev
11-01-2005, 04:15 PM
I would prefer the Yanmar myself.

Kerry
12-01-2005, 03:48 AM
I would prefer the Yanmar myself.

Yanmar #:-X Nah don't understand the question #;D but yeah you might be right #:o but then that wasn't the question #:-X

But But But was that question to do with Petrol or Diesel #;) dunno hey? maybe just generalizing #??? but then not knowing the application the question is really lost as there are some brillant engines out there but put them in the wrong boat/application they are complete dogs.

Cheers, Kerry.

Big_Kev
12-01-2005, 01:38 PM
Kerry that did answer the question.(or request)
Q opinion on the two donks.
A I prefer Yanmar. (that is my opinion)
I don't like petrol inboards so the answer is simple.

JB
13-01-2005, 08:48 AM
Kev: I wouldnt even bother replying to Kerry ,. Kerry, you spent more time on here arguing like some trial lawyer than you do posting insteresting fishing reports. i respect ppls inputs if theyre constructive not simply argumentative.

I did have another comment here which i have retracted for something more constructive.

aido
13-01-2005, 09:49 AM
that's a bit harsh on kerry jb.
kerry has come up with a lot of good info here.
i reacon his input is spot on most of the time.
he does appear short of time for fools though.

Kerry
13-01-2005, 12:34 PM
Kev: I wouldnt even bother replying to Kerry ,. Kerry, you spent more time on here arguing like some trial lawyer than you do posting insteresting fishing reports. i respect ppls inputs if theyre constructive not simply argumentative.

I did have another comment here which i have retracted for something more constructive.

Obviously JB you don't undestand the question either and if someone is going to ask which make when the whole output can come down to petrol or diesel or size or whatever then you really need to go take a hike and think about it.

Simply Volvo or Merc without qualifiers is how long is a piece of string so if somebody can't query how, when , where or why then tuff sh.. JB

Talking about conctructive input, yeah right JB that's a very good example you did [smiley=thumbsdown.gif] so if you've actually got something constructive to say or add then lets hear it, don't go on making an empty sound :-X. Speak you mind or don't waste your time.

Cheers, Kerry.

damons33
13-01-2005, 01:36 PM
a sence of humour will do what rational can't! :P
yes, its a very vague sort of question.
i guess your talking a mustang 24'? so its more of a family application then say gamefishing?
#i am not a mechanic, but maintance is the greatest part of reliability
i am with reel hards comment on petrol inboard engines and the dangers they pose.
its little wonder you see yank get ups sporting 3 or 4 large petrol outboards......but they are pretty useless for a game fishing application. and the engine sound is the greater part of the diesels fish attracting ability.
# i would try to inspect all rigs of simular application to yours and ask the owners how they have performed with some time on the water
# damon

ScottB
13-01-2005, 04:09 PM
Hi Mustang,
Before getting either, do some research on what some of the parts cost for the particular engine that you are looking at (eg Manifolds, risers etc) Volvo CAN be very expensive on parts so a bit of research now could save you a lot of money later

Scott

Big_Kev
15-01-2005, 02:18 PM
he does appear short of time for fools though.

With all due respect, are you calling me a fool aido?

Mustang
15-01-2005, 03:45 PM
Hi all,

Perhaps the question was a bit vaque,but so am i,lol.

I was asking about overall reputation each company has within the industry,not a specific size motor/hull.

I dredged up a great report from the States,they put a 4.3L
Mercruiser and Volvo Penta into 2 indentical hulls and even used the same driver to test them both,so there wouldn't be any weight differential.Both companies had a representative present to oversee each test.

Volvo came out in front in each test which were:

Fuel economy
quickest to plane
highest speed at W.O.T.
purchase price of motor

There are many Mercruiser owners trying to get a class action up and running against Mercruiser for the corrosion of the Bravo 3 Duoprop.Most of this damage occurs in the first 2 years and even though Merc. offer a corrosion warranty,it keeps happening to the 2nd and 3rd legs.They don't have a problem with the single prop Bravo 2,just the duoprop.Merc. is well aware of the problems and want nothing to do with it,deflecting the blame back to owners,citing poor upkeep and maintenance.

Volvo don't have any problems with their Duoprop as they use different metals.

I would be very interested to hear from any Ausfishers who do/have own a Bravo 3.

Kerry
15-01-2005, 04:08 PM
Mustang, sounds like you already had your answers to an obviously loaded question anyway ;D

Cheers, Kerry.

Mustang
15-01-2005, 04:10 PM
Kerry,

I asked the question last week.

I got the answers today.

Kerry
15-01-2005, 04:28 PM
So Mustang are you really interested in putting one of these in a boat or are you simply "fishing".

If so what boat, petrol, diesel etc etc etc

Cheers, Kerry.

Mustang
15-01-2005, 04:34 PM
Fishing,and a bit of cruising! Lol.

Big_Kev
15-01-2005, 04:39 PM
Seems like you were the catch of the day then Kerry.

Kerry
15-01-2005, 05:10 PM
;D Do ya think so Reel #;)

So what ya reckon Reel is the discussion about donks or not #::)

....but i'd like to hear what you guys think.... so are you really interested in thoughts or not #;) if not then why ask #:P but thoughts were asked for and thoughts for given, somehow it would appear that wasn't the right answer but then what was the question ??? again ???

Cheers, Kerry.

Mustang
15-01-2005, 05:20 PM
Yes,you guys' thoughts.

Kerry
15-01-2005, 05:24 PM
And thoughts you got, well thoughts is what I thought you got if it was thoughts you actaully wanted
....Cheers drevil,good to hear from someone who understands the question.... So tell me what was wrong with the thoughts then #;D, actually whats the question was really related to would be a start.

Now your talking about corrosion in legs and all sorts of other unrelated donk stuff, which really has nothing to do with donks but has everything to do with the type of application but then we're still waiting to actually hear what the application is all about and somehow there does't appear to be an application.

Cheers, Kerry.

Mustang
15-01-2005, 05:33 PM
Nothing,i appreciate all views,some useful,some not.

The point of this forum.

Mustang
15-01-2005, 06:08 PM
You're too slow Kerry.

Thinking of upgrading the current boat to a Mustang 24 or 28 cruiser.The Mrs gets a bit seasick and likes a bit of luxury so she says we should go bigger,no argument from me.

We want something we can cruise the Whitsundays in,thats fully self sufficient.we don't have kids yet and it would suit my job as a Foreign Exchange Currency Trader as i work anywhere with my laptop.

At the moment,there is a free upgrade being offered to the 300hp from the 260hp with Mercruiser.I found out about the free upgrade today and the cruiser is the same price as i was quoted last week with the 260hp.

At the moment,i'm leaning towards the Volvo Penta,although they are the same block from GM,VP's SX leg is much more reliable.

Decisions,decisions.

Kerry
15-01-2005, 06:22 PM
Well then anything with a leg that sits in the water for any length of time (it would sound this isn't going to be trailerable #???) is always going to be a worry be it what ever colour it is.

Is that 300HP diesel or petrol #??? So why not a Yanmar :D, you can take your pick of the legs as they all do the some trick and give the same headaches.

Cheers, Kerry.

Mustang
15-01-2005, 06:44 PM
It is going to be dry stored as i don't want it in the water 12 months a year and a trailer is 11k extra.The 24 is the biggest cruiser allowed to be trailored as a beam of 2.5m is the limit.The 3 Mustang dealers here in the south east are all Mercruiser dealers.

The 300hp is a petrol engine,which doesnt bother me because i will only have it for 2-3 years before trading it in for a newer model,while its still worth something,i know diesel is better in the long run.

ba229
15-01-2005, 09:02 PM
Ummm, I know this is 2 responses in a day Kerry so I mean no offense, but what was the question then?

If no one has understood the question, could you please explain the question to us?

p.s. not trying to pick a fight or take the piss. just very confused. I have followed this thread and have been somewhat amused and confused (i rhyme all the time lol).

regards Alex

Big_Kev
16-01-2005, 01:32 AM
;D Do ya think so Reel #;)

So what ya reckon Reel is the discussion about donks or not #::)

Cheers, Kerry.

Kerry -Yes I do beleive it seems that way,
-Yes the discussion has been about donks since the initial posting, as it has turned out my first response fits the bill.LOL

Mustang the Merc will most likely be the cheapest option, but I am not a salesman so I don't know.

Kerry
16-01-2005, 11:55 AM
Yes Alex, what was the question? How could anybody expect a relevent answer based on the original question, now thing about it. Relevance?

Like some certain other engine make (more so model) where 2 boats went through 37 engines in less than 2 years, there's really nothing wrong with the engine brand name but these particular models in these particular boats were a complete waste of space. They kept blowing them and the manufacturer simply kept replacing them.

So I'm not sure what more I can say to you as if didn't see this (originally) as a vague question then I would give this thread away.

If some can't see the relevance for further infomation then they should also give the thread away.

Cheers, Kerry.

Kerry
16-01-2005, 11:57 AM
Kerry -Yes I do beleive it seems that way,
-Yes the discussion has been about donks since the initial posting, as it has turned out my first response fits the bill.LOL

Mustang #the Merc will most likely be the cheapest option, but I am not a salesman so I don't know.

No Reel the discussion had basically centred around NAMES no donks (as such) were mentioned, no boats were mentioned, no nothing was mentioned but 2 names and names don't cover all circumstances, not by a long shot.

But Yes most Mustangs appear to have mercs fitted (cheapest option) and probably match the class of boat ;D

Cheers, Kerry.

damons33
16-01-2005, 12:06 PM
well you didn't get a marine mechanics' opinion....professional consultance is worth something, more then the small talk of a aspiring high flyer. get a riviera 42' then ask what colour granite you want the bench tops.
damon

Kerry
16-01-2005, 12:36 PM
Nobody qualified themselves as "marine mechanics" either. "Professional consultance" isn't worth the paper it's written on unless there is absolute independence.

Like some certain (well) known makes of sportfishing boats made in SE Qld would never pass survey based on being top heavy but obviously they've got survey thru not what one knows but who one knows, "professional consultance" my ar.. some would call this particular one incompetence but then signatures will come back and bite some in the ar.. one day #;D can't wait.

Cheers, Kerry.

#

basserman
16-01-2005, 01:55 PM
well i just saw this thread as a question to what brand you liked
no difrent to asking what make of out board you like or what boat maker is your fave

yes vauge questions but just wanting to know what every one out their likes

as for me i like the volvos better and their new donks are the bees knees but then again when you can buy one mercrusier and a new sounder for the same price #::)

most guys i know run merc in their rigs but i need to say not many do have duo prop just double trouble in some cases unless in a big rig but then again in anything over 28 i would run twin shafts

Mustang
16-01-2005, 03:49 PM
I spoke to the Marketing manager at Mustang today and he informed me that Mustang only fit their cruisers with Volvo Penta's now,which is great as i was leaning that way,problem solved.VP has a new freshwater flushing system that flushes the engine with freshwater while sitting in the saltwater,not a bad idea.

I have looked at Bayliner,Regal,Maxum,Four Winns,Larson-all Yank imports- and i can't find anything that beats Mustang for price,value,performance and warranty,which is 10 years.And AUSSIE MADE.

Maybe thats why it is AMIF cruiser of the year.

Thanks for all your replies guys,don't worry about Kerry,he is the only one who didn't get the question,however vaque it was,you guys knew where i was going with it.

I'm finished with this thread,cheers

Kerry
16-01-2005, 04:03 PM
Well Mustang at least you have got the imports right but then with anything you generally get what you are prepared to pay for :-X.

Oh Mustang I got the question perfectly ;) maybe you should take up PR one day ;D

Cheers, Kerry.

drevil
16-01-2005, 06:24 PM
Man, you guys make it kinda scarey to post a question these days. Why is such a big deal being made about whether Mustang phased his question the best way or not. Next thing is we'll have spelling & punctuation police cruising the site. Maybe we are getting a bit low on things to talk about...

Volvo
16-01-2005, 06:42 PM
>:( Trust me ta find this post a tad late, n guess which motor i was gunna favour ;D..
Cheers

MrMullet
16-01-2005, 06:43 PM
ahem, back to the question.

If your talking about the volvo penta, the blue colored one? MY personal expecience with this inboard motor is thats its unreliable. Plain and simple. My uncle had one outfitted to his boat and he was on the radio calling in for towing more often than fishing. But hey, i guess it all comes down to which guy asembled it at the plant, sometimes you get a good one, sometimes you get a piece of crap caus some guy at the plant was doing the shittest job he can.

As for the mericruiser i have no idea.

basserman
16-01-2005, 07:52 PM
Mr Mullet your got that god danm right!
brought a new mitabishi lancer a few years back and i had nothing but trouble with it from the day i got it
ended up selling it only 6 mounth later as i was only able to of driven it for about 2 mounth of that the rest of the time it was in the shop getting one thing or another fixed on it!
they are not halve wrong when they talk about a friday build >:(

Big_Kev
17-01-2005, 01:03 PM
Man, you guys make it kinda scarey to post a question these days. #Why is such a big deal being made about whether Mustang phased his question the best way or not. #Next thing is we'll have spelling & punctuation police cruising the site. #Maybe we are getting a bit low on things to talk about...

Luckily Doc most members of this site have a positive attitude,contributing to the good will of this site.
Offering good advice from personal experience or qualified knowhow, freely to whoever may ask.
Without the boundries of political correctness or personal vilification.
All members should feel free to ask away and let other members interpret the question or politely ask for more information if they feel the need without the fear of ridicule.
Cheers Kev :)