PDA

View Full Version : Stessl Edgetracker-are they good?

wheezer
11-01-2005, 07:12 PM
I'm looking to buy one of the new 425 Stessl Edgetrackers, they seem to be built nice and tough and I like the new hull design with eclipse type front. Has anyone got one of these or has been in one? Just want to know what ride quality and stability is like.

Zeeke
11-01-2005, 07:30 PM
All i can say is.. Gotta be better then a Quintrex!

Tim

NQCairns
12-01-2005, 02:50 AM
Wern't these boats the subject of a few posts here a while back regarding how they can flop over at speed and how to fix? at least I think that was the problem, try a search.nq

wheezer
12-01-2005, 07:05 AM
I was also considering a Quintrex, have you had a bad run? Looking at either the larger Explorer or maybe a Hornet

wheezer
12-01-2005, 07:06 AM
Flipping over at speed doesn't sound good, I'll do a search thanks for the info

12-01-2005, 11:24 AM
The flipping over was on a stessl MAKO not the edgies... and it was becuase the boat wasn't setup properly.

As zeeke said. Gotta be better than a quinnie! It won aluminium fishing boat of the yr last yr if i am not wrong so that must say something.

Paul_C
13-01-2005, 05:06 PM
I currently have a Quintrex 455 Hornet Wildfish, but my next boat won't be a Quinnie, it will most likely be a 475 Edge Tracker.

PC

gif
13-01-2005, 06:34 PM
The 435 won Boat of the year last year.

I have been out on 2 # 475s. # # #I can’t fault them. # #I had a much better ride in the 475 than a 5m Hornet.

The edge tracker was an innovation - and this version is improved.

Quintrex #are much more mass produced # -probably not as sturdy but their welds (automated) #are definitely neater. #

I know one guy who has had the old one for about 7 tears now #- 3 paint jobs and 200 fishing trips a year #- he looked around and looks like buying another one as the replacement. # # That convinced me.

Hope this helps a little.

wheezer
14-01-2005, 03:48 AM
Thanks for responses, looks like I've found my new tinnie!

RobSee
14-01-2005, 02:15 PM
I've got my first edgetracker now - and I won't even consider another brand

Go the ET - mad not to

wheezer
15-01-2005, 03:50 AM
thanks for all the info, now I just need to find one! local dealer just sold out and it will be a while before any more come in

gif
15-01-2005, 04:24 AM
The dealers are on their web site. Where are you?

But I heard that there is a backlog with the factory since the new Edgetracker came out.

I'd say resist the temptation to change your mind.

Its got to be worth the wait to get just the one you want instead of getting something second best, that you regret for years. # #Their resale value is going to be higher as well.

And with the 2005 models you get those new sexy bungs!

Gary

RobSee
15-01-2005, 04:46 AM
I wish I could get a sexy bung

Barraholic
15-01-2005, 07:41 AM
Hey Wheezer, Looks like you've already made your decision, but just to add to what the guys have already said.

I currently have an 2002 model 4.25 ET and will not be getting rid of it for years. Mine spent its first two years being towed around on some pretty rough roads in the NW of Western Australia and can only say that yes they are bloody tough.

The ride in mine is surprisingly good giving the stubby nose on it (a little hard straight into the chop but I just back off to about 14 miles per hour and no probs.) Down wind or quartering onto the chop you can fly along (within reason of course). - I can only imagine the ride quality would be excellent in the new ones with the improved front end.

In terms of stability they are great, I'm over 100kg and have had me and a mate (approx 90kg bloke) standing on the very front of the bow deck with no signs of feeling like the boat is going to move.

For info. I've got a 30hp Honda on the back of mine and does the job well with two blokes on board (top speed of 26 mph) - but you may want a bit more HP up your sleeve depending on how you deck it out / loads you will be running in it.

PM if you want any further info.

wheezer
15-01-2005, 10:35 AM
Thanks for all the advice, I'll be placing an order for a 425 shortly! For the time being it'll have a 30hp johno on it but I might have to upsize that as I'll be putting front and rear casting decks in as well as raised centre floor with storage under centre section for oars etc not to mention electric, a couple of blokes and way too much fishing gear!

gif
15-01-2005, 03:24 PM
It all adds up - theweight that is

You might conside that aerated plastic sheeting for floors - lighter no need to paint it

Costs maybe $100 for a 2400 x 1200 sheet but when you paint and seal construction ply the coss comes out about the same anyway.

I'll find the name if you are interested

gary

tonyp
15-01-2005, 04:45 PM
Gary,

Sexy Bung.........OK i will bite, what is a sexy Bung ?
To say a Stessl is better than a Quintrex.......nup disagree.
What ever brand boat you get if it has a flat Bottom anyone and just a v-nose it will be a crappy shitty ride in any chop.
Quintrex or Stessel. I had a V-nose punt and changed to the Hornet hull, Sweet ride. For Aluminium anyway. Never will it be like a glass ride. The 475M Edge trackers are still a flat bottom punt without the same degree of V carried through to the transom. Stessl had to do something and came out with the pod like the 475 Hornet as they were and Who knows are selling plenty.
You have to decide on a Hull lenght and style ,.......then one can compare apples with apples. Anyway as long as you are happy with what you buy,Stuff everyone else.
I konw for nealy a fact Quintrex will have a higher reslae value. ;D

OK now abuse me. ;D

Paul_C
15-01-2005, 04:48 PM
Thanks for all the advice, I'll be placing an order for a 425 shortly! For the time being it'll have a 30hp johno on it but I might have to upsize that as I'll be putting front and rear casting decks in as well as raised centre floor with storage under centre section for oars etc not to mention electric, a couple of blokes and way too much fishing gear!

Prior to the Hornet I mentioned earlier, I had a 3.7mt HD Edge Tracker (last shape) that I heavily customized, 90lt live well front and rear casting decks, bla bla bla, I had a 25hp 4st Yammie, electric start with trim and tilt.

1 up (100+kg) 25knts, 1 up live well full (190kg) 23knts, 2 up live well full (maybe 300kg with gear) flatout getting on the plane.

My point, 4.25mt with a 30hp is gonna be somewhat under powered.

But buy the boat and do something about the motor later if need be.

PC

wheezer
15-01-2005, 05:01 PM
Yeah I figure a 40 will be optimum but the budget won't allow it just yet so I'll have to make do with a slightly underpowered boat than no boat at all :)

Gary, the aerated plastic flooring sounds like a great idea, if you can point me in the right direction that'd be much appreciated

macca
15-01-2005, 07:39 PM
I'm with Tony P ;D

The Hornets do have a softer ride ;D

Macca

gif
15-01-2005, 09:39 PM
A few mixed answers:

IMHO the ET had a softer ride on the day #- but no where #near as soft as #fibreglass or plastic.

Resale value? # #Resale values today, on a 4 year old boat are only a rough guide to what a boat bought today will sell for in 4 years. # # - I was trying to predict the future. # #If there is a long waiting list and a Boat of the year award, I expect this model to have a higher resale value in the future. # meet back here in 4 years and we can settle this debate then!

Sexy Bungs? #- nylon plug in style that used by most US boat manufacturers #- except these are nylon compound not brass. # 3 seals instead of one # # The Stessl dealers have a sample but they are only just coming out of the factory on new boats built in 2005. #

tonyp
15-01-2005, 09:42 PM
Garry that clears up the SEXY PART then ;D Bung tha is.

Kev_McC
16-01-2005, 03:27 AM
I had an edgie for years and it was a great, stable, tough boat. Nothing better for stability and build quality. However, it wasn't nearly as good as the same size hornet when it came to handling chop. Getting out of mine and into a mate's hornet was chalk and cheese when conditions served up something like a 15knot breeze pushing into a good outgoing tide. The hornet tolerated it while the edgie suffered it (as did the passengers). The edgie was better for skating around high speed turns!
I'm not a hornet owner.
cheers, kev

NIZ
17-01-2005, 04:10 PM
I too have been looking at the edgetrackers in the 435 size. I have been tossing it up between the 435 hornet trophy aswell and am still unsure which would suit me best.

I will be fishing the estuaries 9 times out of 10 but would still like to venture out in the bay on a calm day. As I'm reletively new to boats would any of you guys be able to help me choose which one would suit best?

Also what are the benfits of having a side console? I originally was going for a tiller 60hp on the stessl and 50hp on the hornet but am thinking of reconsidering to a side console. Do people find that the console gets in the way? or do the benefits out way the cons?

thx for your help guys as I'm new to all this boat stuff so bear with me.