PDA

View Full Version : Driving onto Trailers? Do's & dont's

brenmer
10-01-2005, 10:13 AM
I have fibreglass 5.5m boat and have always been to chicken to drive it onto the trailer for fear of missing slightly and damaging the gel coat :P. I have also been told by mates to never attempt it with fibreglass ::). However, as Im starting to get a little more confident with the boat, and I have seen others at the ramp doing it, I may make an attempt next time I head out. So, if anyone has some advice or do’s and dont's, I would greatly appreciate it. ;D

Jay_S
10-01-2005, 11:50 AM
Hey Brenmer,
# # # # # # # # Judge your drift well if there is a bit of tide or wind and if you not gunna hit it the middle don't try ,back off and have another go. Better waiting till your lined up properly then damaging your boat or making a mess of it. Make sure your trailer is in deep enough so you don't hit your skeg on the ramp. When I'm partly on I always trim up and then push it up the rest of the way.
If it's too windy or too much tide your probably best off not trying until you get use to it.
Is the trailer a multi roller or open back??
Hope this helps a bit. #:)
Cheers Col

brenmer
10-01-2005, 12:52 PM
G-Day Col,

its a multi roller.............not sure what an open back is.

Cheers,
Brenmer

deb
10-01-2005, 01:29 PM
Helps to practise at a marina ramp if you can, less tide movements for the first few goes. When your down pat, then brave up to Vickypoint or Raby Bay on the weekend and/or during school holidays! :)
Big tip for the queue at VP! Use the right hand side its deeper! Nose up to your trailer, turn motor full lock bring the back around while the front is holding still on the rollers, trim up and rev up.
works a treat ;) Open ramps like pinkenba, just have to judge the tide and swing.

brenmer
10-01-2005, 02:12 PM
Here is a Photo...................

Big_Kev
10-01-2005, 02:30 PM
Looks like a great trailer for driving onto.
Like Dreamdays said get some practice somewhere there is no wind or current and practice with someone at the front to guide you and move the bow to the center.
If there are not any spectators you will do the practice job better and not be nervous. Later at night at a ramp where there is good lighting.
A steep ramp is better as the skeg will have less chance to hit with out having to trim up.
Back the trailer in to the rear rollers are in the water.
Having the boat not leaning to one side will get it on the trailer sitting level as well.
Ease the power on and don't be afraid to give it a bit to get it moving.
Have some practice and you will look like you know boats for sure.
Cheers Kev. :)

cooky
10-01-2005, 06:19 PM
my VERY FIRST drive in my new (second hand) glass boat my mate who has had boats for a very long time said "I'll get your car and back it down - you just drive it on" i said "you're kidding aren't you" he said nah, it's easy". NOt knowing much about boats I said "okay" - well this was on the first test run after service and mechanic said fuel could be crap - well it stalled about 4 metres out from trailer and I drifted in spot on (luck) - was able to start her again when hit trailer and drive her on. Sh**ting myself - shaking.

Well I;ve tried it quite a few times since with the only real difficult time being in strong current - was a pain and as soon as bow hit trailer current pushed stern around immediately (a couple of scratches that day).

I personally put trailer in to water 1/2 to 3/4 up tyre, but too far in makes it harder in my opinion (far from expert).

give it a go

billfisher
11-01-2005, 03:50 AM
It looks like those arms on the back rollers would do some damage if you missed the center by a few inches. What tou can do is cover them with plastic using zip ties. I don't know the name of the type to use but it is that clear flexible type used for plastic hoses.

cooky
11-01-2005, 06:01 AM
it's pretty hard to miss that gap, but you can buy that blue plastic striping from BIAS boating - doesn't cost much - for that very purpose. I think I might go out and get some.

dnej
11-01-2005, 08:04 AM
When you are learning, its great to have a " Catcher",
( A person standing on the trailer to catch the boat, if there is somewhere to stand that is)
This person can give direction also . if necessary.
David

brenmer
12-01-2005, 02:44 PM
Thankyou for all the advice so far.

Billfisher, you are right about the back rollers, I have pulled the boat onto the trailer a few times and if Im just off to the left or right of the back rollers they flip up and force the hull onto the metal arm. This has been my biggest concern. Ill look around for the zip ties and the blue plastic striping a that cooky mentioned.

whichway
12-01-2005, 03:04 PM
I started driving onto the trailer only a few months ago.

Best advice I can give is don't go too slow (you loose steerage), and line it up from a long way out so that you can judge cross wind, currents etc. If it doesn't feel right pull out and go around again.

It's not as hard as it looks, and with a biggish boat and a female crew, it is really the easiest way.

Regards

Whichway

Fisher_Boats
13-01-2005, 12:02 PM
Brenmer
I've also found if you click in and out of gear it's easier to steer it in.
Like most things heaps of practice and you'll be right

Cheers
Col

borisdog
13-01-2005, 01:58 PM
I have a Cat - so it's pretty easy for me but the best advice I was given on this subject - Know when to go round for another go, and know it early.

Fishinmishin
14-01-2005, 10:24 PM
Your transducer in the photo doesn't look like it's level which can give false reads. Mabey it's just my eyes? :)

SeaHunt
15-01-2005, 07:23 AM
Your transducer in the photo doesn't look like it's level which can give false reads. Mabey it's just my eyes? :)

I think your eyes are fine, it's turned up, your spelling could use some work though. ;D

billfisher
15-01-2005, 07:33 AM
Brenmer,

I wouldn't use zip ties to attach blue plastic striping as they are likely to slip under the weight of your boat and you will end up hitting the metal arm. They are usually screwed in (countersunk) or perhaps you could glue them. I was talking about a different type of plastic which is flexible and can encircle the arms.

brenmer
15-01-2005, 12:33 PM
Yes, you are correct about the transducer, thats the problem having the boat in close proximity to children ::). I also find alot of rocks inside the prop exhaust. The yellow peice of plastic on the ground was suppose to stop the rock problem, that didnt work, but I will tighten up the transducer.

Thanks again for the advice.

Cheech
15-01-2005, 04:52 PM
I only gave it a go once and put a metre long scrape in the hull.

Interesting though is that i have more rollers than just about anyone I know that successfully drives on.

Where I got my scrapes was not from the first set of roller, but about 1.5m in when you get to the centre rollers. Went a couple of inshes to the side and scraped the end of the axle split pin part.

Before I do it again I will be adding a few stretegically placed teflon strips half way up the trailer.

Needmorerum
16-01-2005, 07:57 PM
These are the protectors that I have got on my trailer, if you can get hold of these, they will help big time in the case of a miss shot.
They're made out of the same material that the rollers are made from. Mine are zipped tied on, but they are not flexible, so I doubt they will roll around.

Hope this helps,
Corry

Dignity
17-01-2005, 01:25 PM
some one said a picture is worth a 1000 words, or something like that - Corry where did you buy yours as I haven't seen anything that shape here in Brissy. They even look classy.

Sam

Needmorerum
17-01-2005, 04:07 PM
Sorry mate, on the trailer when I got her. It's a Tinka trailer and I have seen them on quite a few others, maybe contacting one of the Tinka dealers would help.
One of the tackle shops that have trailer gear should be able to help.

Corry

brenmer
17-01-2005, 05:12 PM
Corry,

Thanks very much for the photo ;D Now I know exactly what to look for.

Brenmer.

Ashleym
18-01-2005, 09:32 AM
Hi Brenmer
What sort of trailer is it? I have a similar looking trailer, a special trailer by sea-link trailers.
My trailer seems to have the back rollers a lot closer together so I only have a small gap of around 120mm to get it right or it all turns pear-shaped.
Do your back two sets of rollers tilt at an angle when you have the boat off the trailer?
I have a piece of oregon with a v shape cut out of it with that blue plastic mounted on it to centre the boat before it gets to the other set of rollers. This works well. It's getting up to this that creates my problems.
Cheers
Ash