PDA

View Full Version : Keep blowing tail/stop light on one side

Ashleym
18-01-2005, 07:38 AM
Hi everyone,
I have just returned from a couple of weeks fishing and replacing light globes. I keep blowing the stop/tail on the passenger side only - the indicator is fine and all lights on other side work fine.
It seems to be when I launch the boat with the tail lights on. I drive out of the water and it's blown again.
I spoke to the local auto electrician and he said it was because I was using cheap Narva globes from the servo and that they let water in and pop. I replaced with his "long life Phillips" - blown the next morning.
Any suggestions
Ash

basserman
18-01-2005, 07:55 AM
get a better set of light like the Fully sumersbile ones from super cheap @ $50 aset
or like me the hella led's and never worrie

but if ya want to still play around you would be best to have a close look at the wireing on that light
to me it sound like their is a bear wire in their some where that is earthing out on another wire
but trully i would be replaceing the whole lot the the proper lights and new cables and you will not have any trouble for a few years! and easyly able to be done for under $100 (thats a full rewire and lights) and that easy i kid could do it! ;D

nonibbles
18-01-2005, 06:37 PM
Cardinal rule for light longevity: as soon as you get to the ramp unplug your lights. Otherwise, when they hit the water hot they cool quickly and can blow (it will, at the least, reduce their life) also, similar to bearings, it causes water to be drawn in. The lights that come standard on most trailers only rely upon air pressure to hold out the water