PDA

View Full Version : full transoms and pods

familyman
18-01-2005, 02:55 AM
A question for all you project builders out there -when you fill in your transom to full height are you going to make/buy a pod for your motor and if so how do you work out the design so that it does not screw up your boats handling?I have a cutaway transom on my half cab combined with a heavy motor (115 merc tower of power) and I would like to have a bit more security at sea and also a bit more bouyancy in the back end.

thanks guys
jon

drb
18-01-2005, 04:01 AM
I bought a pod for mine from a bloke who manufactures fiberglass cats in caloundra.
It is the same pod he puts on the back of the cat but is really only a half pod. (400mm). Generally boats under 5m benefit more from a hull extension type pod which provides more bouyancy.

NQCairns
18-01-2005, 05:38 AM
Not an authority on these just have a vested interest lately, some say that any boat under 22feet should avoid outboard only pods because they don not work properly although many people have claimed great success, I think it is a suck it and see situation myself.
Hull extension pods can be used on virtually any sized hull although without some setback for the outboard most of the performance gains are lost.
I have flipflopped from buying one to making one a few times now and am currently planning to build one myself.
Most of the information you need to design one is right at the rear of your boat already, as a minimum you would want to continue your hull rearward far enough to allow for full tilt of your outboard with the sides as floatation pods and the centre raised aka setback (only if you want the real performance gains) as in a setback pod.
What happens from there regarding triming, dirtywater on turns, porpoising etc etc will be specific to your boat and your pod.
What size and brand of boat are you considering? There are a million different probables! nq

NB what about leaving the engine as is and bolting a couple of floatation/hull extension pods either side, something along the lines of the big polycraft setup, not ideal but might help with the low bum problem (It is also easily reversable or redesignable).

familyman
18-01-2005, 07:06 AM
Boat and motor are sportsmancraft 4.6 and 115merc 84 model,I thought when looking at the boat it would be over powered but in most of my boating its fine ,just when going outside I would like a little more stern height as slop washes into the well quite easily.
NQ thats not a bad idea except in my youth i did the same thing to canadian canoe to fix bum heavy trait with 2hp out board on rear.Looked like some massive tumor ,so the wife has said "no tumors on this boat" :-/
I am currently thinking of some kind of ally or moulded glass step on both sides but this will require some major thought as to whether is worth the hassle or just go outside on those glassy days that always happen when you're at work. :-[ :-[

dnej
18-01-2005, 08:38 AM
Jon
Mine is an aluminium boat, and old Stessl. I fitted two 80 litre , completely sealed pods, to my boat,on each side of my motor, so the motor is in a U, so to speak.
They hold 80 kg of weight. (1 Litr, 1kg)
What a difference to the bouyancy of the boat, very stable at rest also. Planes at very slow speed, and trims very well.
Dont know about glass, but I use the pods for loading and unloading,as a step as you mention.
David

mini696
18-01-2005, 10:08 AM
How would a 3.9m Stacer go with two pods either side of the motor?? Has anyone ever tried this?

Sundowner
18-01-2005, 04:40 PM
I also am the proud owner of a Sportsmancraft 4.6 and the slop problem into the well space is a worry. Although my donk is a Yamaha70 it still gets me around in a hurry so your 115 merc would be a little heavier on the back. With two guys fishing out the back the free-board does tend to allow surges into the well at times.
I would be very interested in your research into the possible use of pods so as to provide better bouyancy for the hull as I would fit them if I knew that they improved matters without effecting performance.

peterbo3
18-01-2005, 04:50 PM
Here is a pic of my CC with a full 300mm pod. The well was left in original condition to allow the larger 90hp motor to tilt. Was easy to instal as boat is plate alloy.

Jackko
19-01-2005, 05:04 AM
Peter, can you tell me who did the mods to your boat.
near the brisbane area.??

thanks John

dnej
19-01-2005, 05:48 AM
Mine were done by Danny Hoskins, boat builder,at Logan Village.As I said one on either side of the motor.
Ph 55470088
David

familyman
19-01-2005, 02:30 PM
Hey sundowner I made a 8mm lexan sheet with ally angle stiffener at top edge.This inserts into 2 slides, one either side of the well and actually lifts the effective transom height to level with the rest of the topsides.The down side to this is it does nothing for bouyancy and I dont know how well it would stand up to a big surge ,being slightly flexible.However it is better than nothing :)
The combined step/pod in ally or glass sounds the go ,just requires a bit more thought. ::)

Pridey
22-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Hey dnej
I have an aluminium boat, a stacer seahawk 4.2 that is bumdown and copping wash, it is due to the CMC trim tilt i installed added 50kgs to the back end and need some floatation pods like you have done running a 40 Yammy enduro.
Could you send me some pics and a bit of a heads up on how what where and why. i can weld and have the gear so would like to attempt myself!! is this advisable?

Pridey

Chimo
22-05-2011, 11:26 AM
This is similar to what was described by a few others.

Fitted to a 10 ft tinny and works well.

They are great steps and support 100kg plus easily so its possible to use them as a casting platform

Cheers
Chimo

PS The only blue was to put bungs on the inside edges as they threw a fair bit of spray but since trimming the bungs flat the problem is fixed.