PDA

View Full Version : Boat license

macca
17-01-2005, 12:58 PM
I have a paper boat license that expired this week.

I just want to confirm that there is still a virtual license in Qld?

As I understand, I just forget about renewing it and I will have a license on the computer system with the licensing body.

Is this correct?

Macca

bungie
17-01-2005, 04:04 PM
The virtual licence is alive and well i QLD. Got my paper licence in the early 80's and it got transfered to the same number as my car licence

bay_firey
17-01-2005, 05:10 PM
Macca
That is my understanding of how it "should" work.
May be worth a phone call just to double check that it has happened before you get caught out

It is a government department after all ;D

Kerry
17-01-2005, 05:26 PM
Since when does the old paper license expire? One problem was the 74 floods, which destroyed many of the originals bit if one has a paper copy then it was and still is valid.

If there were records of the old paper licences then they were automatically transfered on to the car license, even though there is no mention on the actual car license of any boat license stuff the system should have the data linked.

Cheers, Kerry.

Bream_Reaper01
19-01-2005, 05:37 PM
Yes it's tied in to your car licence now,i just enquired about the same last week,and all dept. of transport can do a printout relating to your individual licences,sorry i didn't ask the price though as there is a small fee i beleive.

rajawolf
20-01-2005, 12:04 PM
Hi....was looking @ getting a boat licence.. here is all the info if you need to know...

Also have a look at all the new road rules that came into effect on the 1/1/2005.... I.E. cannot leave your car open and run into bush for a pee..you must lock it first :o

rajawolf
20-01-2005, 12:05 PM
be a good idea to give u the URl i guess ::)
http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/driver.nsf/index/recboatlicence

Dignity
20-01-2005, 06:11 PM
Kerry, the old paper licence didn't expire but if you did lose it and of course you need to carry it with you the only alternative several years ago was to apply to the transport dept to replace it. This they did with another paper licence which had an expiry date at a cost of $12.50. The reason was that the Qld Govt was looking at combining the car licence with marine licences. But it got all too hard for them due to some different rules of the road etc. When I went in to renew mine I was surprised to be advised that they had dropped the fee and I was issued with a statement saying I was licenced again. But that was just on 2 years ago. I had my car licence renewed only a couple of months ago but they never mentioned anything about combining the 2 licences. Go figure.

macca
20-01-2005, 06:29 PM
Rajawolf

I checked that link, at the bottom of this page this is stated
"Replacing boat licences
Now that Queensland Transport has moved to a virtual licence, there is no longer any need to replace an existing Speed Boat Driver's Licence or a Recreational Ship Master's Licence."

and

"Holders of licences issued prior to February 2000 can retain their existing licence product as evidence that they hold a recreational boat licence."

So with this I assume that my paper licence that had the expiry date that ran out recently, is only required now to prove I have a Licence.

Macca

rajawolf
20-01-2005, 06:38 PM
macca,

"You should carry this statement if planning to go boating interstate."

I guess the coppers ect in other states are not hooked into the Queensland system, and it would take time to verify that you have a licence..unless you produce that bit of paper..even if expired.

Kerry
21-01-2005, 12:36 PM
Dig, Yeah mine is an old old old one and for many years really wasn't sure if they had records of it or not, especially after the 1974 floods.

I have the original and many laminated copies in all useful places, the boat, the car etc. Only a few years ago when renewing my drivers licence I asked if I had a boat license #;D Yes the lady said, you do #[smiley=2thumbsup.gif] but I knew that anyway #:D

Cheers, Kerry.

Tezza985
22-01-2005, 08:01 AM
What about if your car is registered in QLD, but your boat license is from another state??

subzero
22-01-2005, 01:12 PM
As I understand it, the Transport computers are all linked Nationally now, it doesnt matter what state you are from, they can all look it up from anywhere now as far as I know.
Cheers Lloyd