PDA

View Full Version : Merc 60 4 stroke oil leak??

Lundy
13-01-2005, 05:50 AM
Hi All,

Has anybody had an oil leak on their 4 stroke motor? Mine is less than 30 hours old
and just noticed a drip on the skeg and ground below.
I will be taking it to the Doctors today under warranty.

Cheers
Steve

Mad_Barry
13-01-2005, 06:35 AM
Pretty common by the sounds of it. mine did it & I know of others that have & others that haven't.

Pop the lid off, it will probably be moist around the bottom of the power head where it is starting from.#

No probs fixed under warranty. If it's the same leak as these ones it's a bit of a fix though, they have to pop the power head off & replace a gasket underneath it.

billy7
13-01-2005, 02:39 PM
My 50 mariner leaked at 27 hours 2 trips to the dr to fix the problem billy

Paul_C
13-01-2005, 04:38 PM
My 60 Merc 4st was going thru oil faster than a 2st, couldn't see any leaks, no slicks on the water. Eventually I was told after putting it in for a service that there was supposedly a faulty batch of crank shaft main seals. They replaced it under warranty, even though it was out of warranty.

PC

Lundy
21-01-2005, 09:58 AM
Thanks Guy for the replies.

Got the boat back and nothing wrong found. They think there was oil spilt at the first service and has slowly run out down the leg. Sounds believable.
I will be watching it like a hawk.

Cheers

aussiebasser
22-01-2005, 04:11 PM
My 50 EFI Merc did it early on. The Powerhead is in two pieces, split down the middle. There is a silicone seal there, no gasket. The machine that squirts the silicone on had buggered up and left a gap. Had it fixed under warranty and haven't had a problem since.

FLATHEAD1
22-01-2005, 06:17 PM
Is it my imagination or is it that most of those having a whinge and a bitch about there new outboards are merc owners. Or is it that merc owners are more vocal.

I understand that Yamaha account for 42% of new outboards sold and you don't here of many problems with them or the other makes.

I have a honda with about 50hrs up and so far so good.

These days with the method of manufacture and QA proceedures you should not have any problems.

Correct me if i am wrong.

Cheers
FH1

aussiebasser
22-01-2005, 06:45 PM
Is it my imagination or is it that most of those having a whinge and a bitch about there new outboards are merc owners. Or is it that merc owners are more vocal.

I understand that Yamaha account for 42% of new outboards sold and you don't here of many problems with them or the other makes.

I have a honda with about 50hrs up and so far so good.

These days with the method of manufacture and QA proceedures you should not have any problems.

Correct me if i am wrong.

Cheers
FH1

Obviously your imagination mate, no one is "having a whinge or bitch" here. I love my Merc, and you can shove your Hiroshima Screamers. I've never bought a new car that hasn't needed a warranty claim either. I work in the manugacturing industry, and all the QA procedures in the world won't get you 100% accuracy. Trouble is, us humans is human and we make mistakes.

Paul_C
23-01-2005, 05:03 PM
4st Mercs aren't Mercs anyway, there Yammie powerheads fitted to Merc legs.

PC