PDA

View Full Version : Clear plastic fuel tanks - where can I get one?

cooky
20-01-2005, 05:44 PM
as mentioned in the post further down the page I have a clear plastic 100lt fuel tank in my boat - does anyone know where I'd get another one from - I want to increase my fuel carrying capacity.

NQCairns
20-01-2005, 06:03 PM
Have you tried the manufacturer of your boat? do a worldwide Google search on +Tempo +plastic +fuel you will find heaps but from the states, also Bias or Whitworths or bla? (I think that is what they are called)has some as well but a piss poor range. If you find anywhere that sells a good range at anywhere less than a rip off price in australia could you let me know. ATM I will be ordering from the states a couple of tanks for myself. nq

cooky
20-01-2005, 06:37 PM
i'm pretty sure the manufacture of the tank is Bermuda - and I think they're owned by Merc.

And no I haven't done a damn thing. I thought I'd be lazy first and see if someone had the answers ;)

megafish71
21-01-2005, 03:39 AM
i'm pretty sure the manufacture of the tank is Bermuda - and I think they're owned by Merc#;)

Your spot on there Cooky, So go and visit you local Merc dealer and see what they can do for you.

Cheers Ron

cooky
21-01-2005, 04:54 AM
did a quick search on net

August 30, 2004

Fire resistant & indestructible Bermuda Polyethylene Fuel Tanks

On an increasing basis, Australia’s premier boat builders are fitting Sant Marine locally manufactured and designed Bermuda Polyethylene underfloor fuel tanks.

Mercury Australia’s Marketing & Sales Manager for Marine Accessories Anthony Cook says, “Built using leading edge technology and with a host of advantages over conventional metal fuel tanks, Australian boat builders and owners have come to recognise the tremendous safety features and operating advantages of Bermuda Polyethylene underfloor fuel tanks.

“These tanks are designed to meet stringent NMAA and CE certification for maximum safety and are now being exported to USA and Europe,” he added.

Leading Australian boat builders fitting Bermuda Polyethylene underfloor fuel tanks include Allycraft, Polycraft, Whittley and Savage Boats.

Bermuda tank survives catastrophic fire

A recent serious incident demonstrated the real safety value of the Bermuda Polyethylene underfloor tanks, when a ski boat fitted with one caught fire and burnt to the water level.

However, the Bermuda tank did not explode, rather it simply burned and smouldered around the edges, resulting in a ruined boat but with no serious injury, loss of life or third party property damage.

In this example the structural integrity of the Bermuda tank was such that the tank’s fuel did not combust, because the Bermuda tanks are built to rigorous international standards.

The only component to survive intact in the burnt-out shell of the fibreglass ski boat was the Bermuda tank, which is fire resistant and has a much lower risk of explosion than that of metal tanks.

Bermuda tank features:

· Safety
· Fire resistant
· Built to the highest Australian, European and USA standards
· 40% lighter than comparable metal tanks
· Lightness contributes to improved fuel efficiency
· Seamless construction
· Rust and corrosion proof
· No fractures
· No electrolytic action
· Greater durability
· Ultraviolet resistant
· Highly impact resistant and virtually indestructible

Bermuda fuel tanks by Sant Marine are available in sizes from 60 to 300 litres in over 60 models that are designed to suit a wide range of boating applications, are 100% pressure tested to 33CFR183.510 standard and export models meet CE (European) and NMMA (USA) standards.

With a Bermuda underfloor fuel tank you can go out on the water everyday, safe in the knowledge that the tank will do its job.

Bermuda underfloor Polyethylene fuel tanks are distributed by Mercury Marine throughout Australia and New Zealand.

Mike Sabey

I'll chase up Merc Aust

deb
27-01-2005, 12:28 PM
they are made by Sant Marine in Dandenong Victoria.
Watch out, they leak. Look back at previous post with pictures by me earlier this year.

The factory was quick to replace it, however once bitten twice shy.
Its out, and a aluminum replacement is in.
Never want to go through that hassle again. >:(
Cheers/

cooky
27-01-2005, 12:33 PM
i've got a 100lt in the boat. I called local Merc dealer (Merc owns Bermuda) and no longer available for public purchase. ONly to be fitted by boat manufacturers. Apparently issues with people not installing properly.

Mine doesn't seem to leak.

I'll keep an eye on though.

I have contacted an aluminium welder re making me an extra tank

NQCairns
28-01-2005, 05:30 AM
I would guess the dealer could get one only catch would be he has to fit it. If you have a decent dealer or a boat builder in your area he could use the excuse that it is a replacement tank for the one in yours. What company is going to refuse an original parts (OEM) replacement.
Dont believe for one minute it is a cannot trust the public issue it is a lock up our specialty parts so you become more reliant on us, it is rife in the US ATM with some builders that want to create or continue a specialty line of boat models.
So a bloke with a type 'B' boat who likes the style of the 'A's centre concole cannot source one unless he buys 'that' brand of boat or upgrades his same brand (without the new CC as orig equip)for the new model.
The idea is to keep the production line moveing but it can also backfire too - I always hope it does!

cooky
28-01-2005, 08:35 AM
i could do, but will most likely cost similar anyway. I think I'll support a LOCAL. Always will if it's possible.