PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Maintenance.

Needmorerum
31-01-2005, 05:46 PM
Well for those regulars, you would remember that I had some questions earlier about weight on tow bars.
I dropped the boat off this morning in our Marina, and decided to move the axle group back to give more weight over the ball. I have now done this successfully, and ended up moving the axle group nearly 10 inch's.
The trailer no longers lifts the ball up when travelling, and making a crap load of noise, it travel beautifully, and silent. I even adjusted the brakes up and they work even better. I now have to have the reversing latch over to stop the brakes from working when backing it into the driveway, and it doesn't smack back and forwards like it used to.

I even went down and bought one of the premade lengths of Dyneema rope and fitted this to the winch. Oh what a feeling. This stuff is definately worth its weight (or lack there of) in gold. It even feels like the boat is easier to winch up then before. I do think that it will take some time to get used to the small size of this rope, after looking at a strap for so long. I am now going to fit this onto my tinny trailer as well.

Corry

whiteman
01-02-2005, 11:30 AM
Agree about the rope. So much better than the strap and as you say, seems easier to wind on (but why?).

Thunderbird
01-02-2005, 02:10 PM
Way to go Corry.
That's a fair way to move the axels back.
Must of been a pig to tow the way it was. ;D
I bet it's easier to get out of boat ramps with more weight over the back wheels and tow's a lot straighter at speed.
Dyneema sounds like the stuff!! I use it a lot rock climbing, but don't be fooled by the diameter of it it's strong stuff ;)
My only concerne is to keep it out of sunlight when at all possible.U/V's the bigest killer when dealing with anything other than wire.

cheers birdy.

John_R
01-02-2005, 04:04 PM
I reckon my trailer might be the other way. Very heavy on the ball. There are also a few skids that don't touch the hull.

I noted that before I picked it up from the dealer and they said they had been over the trailer and reset all the skids. All they did was move a small skid at the front of the trailer in towards the centre line and then it still missed the hull.

The boat is a millenium hull 5.3m on a redco trailer that has a breaking back section. The latest skids I have foumd out of action are under the stern - short blue skids - set of four all at 90 degrees to the hull and all adjusted out of contact.

I will try adjusting them back into contact and see if that helps, or maybe they should be turned to run along the hull. The dealer seems to be a waste of space so no point asking them.

Regards

John

Needmorerum
01-02-2005, 05:57 PM
John, have a look around at some other trailers at the ramp when your there. As some know, I have spent a number of months checking things out before I went and changed mine. I think the M&G will be a good place to see different set ups and what people are using, and what works and what doesn't.
If your not coming up, I can take some photo's for you if you like. If your on the Southside, drop into Southside Marine and have a look at how they are setting there's up, or any Quinnie dealer.

Birdy, yeah, got sick of hearing it slapping around with the removable hitch moving around, as well as the brake coupling slapping back and forth. It isn't any different pulling up the ramp, or towing, with the Cruiser you don't really feel it except for the pulling weight. All that is next to do is to drop into the weigh bridge and see what weight I have over the jockey wheel (I don't have any scales at home).
Thanks for the advice on the UV effect on the rope, I will put a cover over it as it is in the afternoon sun. The front of the boat sticks out of the carport which is a real pain.

Corry