PDA

View Full Version : trailer wheels swop

redballoon
02-02-2005, 03:06 PM
Hi all, I have a trailer with those tiny cheese cutters.
I was hopping to take it in,to goodna marine . put some forby tyres on. i can source a axle with old landy tyres would this be a easyer job (cheaper) or could i do the axle change , with a beer in my 1 hand.(no roothy thow)

dugong
03-02-2005, 03:26 PM
mate
Know what you mean about the cheese cutters you can't even fit a slightly wider tyre as a spare! it has to be the exact same width or the mudgards foul. Personally i don't like the 4x4 tyres, bought a boat/trailer with em looked real mean but such a nightmare to launch and retrieve, back of trailer way to high above the water! Personal choise is 185 x 14 light truck,35psi in them, ride like a dream and can carry a big load.
Can you fit them?? no idea? do they bolt straight onto the springs? is the axle the same width as the one on the trailer? can you move the mudgards to clear the tyres and not hit the boat?
if you have mechanical appitude, can weld and common sence you can do it, i have upgraded a couple of trailers and was very happy with the results.
dug

coasty
03-02-2005, 03:42 PM
you have to have the axel perfectly aligned or the boat will drive off to one side.
i dumped the cruiser tyres and went to low profile 185/55/14 its easier to launch and retreave with the rear down.

joe_parry
03-02-2005, 04:48 PM
mate im not a ginger beer but just changed axles n hubs cause the other bearings were to bloody exey, make sure you buy the axles n hubs n measure the width first, I didnt and had to "reverse" the rims! no big deal cept pain in the arse puttin air in, gluk cheers joe

joe_parry
03-02-2005, 05:47 PM
mate im not a ginger beer but just changed axles n hubs cause the other bearings were to bloody exey, make sure you buy the axles n hubs n measure the width first, I didnt and had to "reverse" the rims! no big deal cept pain in the arse puttin air in, gluk cheers joe