PDA

View Full Version : power trim gaoge ?

nisrol
03-02-2005, 07:48 AM
wondering if any of you have any ideas that might help as i am not sure where to start with this problem. :-/
The trim guage does not seem to move when the motor is trimed up or down , I am not sure if the problem is in the guage or the sender unit on the motor ???.
if anybody has any ideas would be appreaciated as it gets dangerous :Pwhen you have to keep turning around to see were you motor is trimmed to .

cheers andy

Fin_Addict
03-02-2005, 07:55 AM
What type of motor is it mate???...Ross

nisrol
03-02-2005, 08:16 AM
the motor in question is a 150hp mariner mounted on a pod and the last i checked the bl@@dy taco was'nt working either so i have a few problems to resolve .

cheers andy

whiteman
03-02-2005, 09:18 AM
Try this site for excellent technical help ...
http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi

cooky
03-02-2005, 09:45 AM
Probably better for you not to look at the gauge. I've been told not to look at the trim gauge - you should get used to how your motor sounds. Apparently a better and more accurate way to go.

Not only listening to how it sounds, but your ride quality (feeling it).

this has helped me as I don't need to look at the gauge all the time (which you start doing out of habit). I listen and feel and adjust the trim to optimal position.

Taco is speed from memory - mine doesn't work either - although it started to the other day. I don't even look at it, because I look at the GPS speed (more accurate).

If you're referring to RPM - then I'd suggest you fix it. Probably loose connections on back of gauges (that's what mine was anyway)

dugong
03-02-2005, 02:49 PM
Andy, i would agree with cookie listen to your donk and feel how the boat is performing, soon you will be doing trim adjustments with outeven thinking about it. How ever i do believe in tacho's, they are a good guide to how the boat is proped and weather you are getting the best results out of your donk, a gps will only give you your speed, a lightly loaded boat will use less revs, a heavy load more revs all for the same speed, could make coming home interesting if you have burnt more fuel than you thought.
dug

banshee
04-02-2005, 05:23 AM
Sender units on merc/mariner have a tendency to corode the earth wire,mine has been like it since about nine months old,you can remove the unit if you can get the screws out and clean up the contact but I have opted to do what the others have said for the last couple of years and drive by the feel of things.Merc/Mariners tacos operate off the alternater so worst case senario your alternator is shot,best case would be a loose wire.

ugboot
04-02-2005, 07:39 AM
wondering if any of you have any ideas that might help as i am not sure where to start with this problem. #:-/
The trim guage does not seem to move when the motor is trimed up or down , I am not sure if the problem is in the guage or the sender unit on the motor #???.
if anybody has any ideas would be appreaciated as it gets dangerous #:Pwhen you have to keep turning around to see were you motor is trimmed to .
cheers andy
hi Andy
I also have a 79 150 mariner with the trim guage not working
There is a rubber boot on the sender got a split and let water in its not repairable and no new replacements available
you can unplug the loom at the side of the transom clamp and remove the sender and its short wiring loom with the socket for the boat loom to plug into then to take the sender apart remove the 4 screws that go next to where each of the four wires go into the sender, work out which 2 wires are for the trim trailer lockout contact inside the sender so they can be joined together if the sender is cactus, this is so your trim button will work otherwise only the trailer button will raise the trim if this contact is rusted .Once cut off the dead sender and the 2 wires are joined plug the boat loom into it and cable tie it back inside the
to the boat loom Dont join the trim gauge wires together because the gauge will go off the dial make shure all connections and unused wires are insulated its a good idea to use connectors and plenty of tape