PDA

View Full Version : New Hornet

punt1
02-02-2005, 09:20 AM
Good afternoon,

I was after some feedback on the set up I intend to purchase,

4.00 Wide Body Hornet (no floor model) with a Honda 30hp 4 stroke.

What are peoples thoughts as to the ability run 3 people with a bit of weight on board. Hull weight 150Kg & motor 72kg (I am 70kgs).

Would I have any problems taking off with one person in the boat, re: back of the boat dropping to far into the water and the nose rising to much (as I have heard from some hornet owners. But that is why I am choosing the Honda with the electric trim.

My main concern is getting the boat to "plane" easily. P.S. I am used to owner easy planning punts.

Thanks in advance

basserman
02-02-2005, 10:28 AM
well punt i need to say you should have trouble with three up in the 4meter hornet no floor with 30 honda

my mate had a 4 meter hornet trophy (the one with floor seats and all that) with a 30hp honda we were able to run 3 up but it was a bit of a strugle for the girl
as with takeing off with only one up that shouldn't be a problem with the tilt trim all you will need to do is trim the engine in to bring the nose down or just spread some weight up to the frount like your tank and fishing gear ;D
but i think the 4.00 wide body hornet with 30hp tilt-trim 4stroke will be a marrage made in heaven ;D

punt1
02-02-2005, 10:42 AM
Thanks Basserman,

Your reply was a bit confussing, but I take it that you reckon it should be a good set up.

The standard hull weighs 50kg's less than the Trophy, so I'll think thats a benefit. For the occassion where we decide to go camping with swags ect, I just want to make sure its got enough grunt. Can't really put a 40 hp on that size boat - it would be an overkill.

What's your mates opinion of the Honda 30 ?

basserman
02-02-2005, 11:09 AM
on his he didn't like it but thats because it was a tad underpowed on the trophy(however is still got on the plane easy enoght with three up and all our bass fishing gear)
you see your's is 50kg lighter hull but then you add water in the livewell of the trophy second battery and electric motor and everything else like the seat and electrionice i think your bare hull would weight alot less even loaded up

from what i have seen the 30's seem to push the hull your looking at fine ;D

Racegun
03-02-2005, 05:38 PM
If your going to keep it a bare boat at minimum weight the thirty will be ok for two adults , but as soon as you put gear in maybe add a floor , seats bait tanks electronics you will find the thirty honda sluggish .
I had one on a 4 metre edgetracker , it weighed 130 kg bare weight and once i added everything it felt gutless , my mate had a 3.9 hornet with 40 two stroke and with two adults and his decked out with full floors seats etc it would eat mine .
Im considering getting a 4 metre hornet just for the creek and am wondering myself what engine id like a forty but in four strokes they are the same weight as 50s, maybe putting the fuel tank up front and some of the gear could offset the twenty or twenty five kilos extra that the the 40 / 50 honda weighs over the thirty . Keep us posted on your research and decision

punt1
04-02-2005, 03:26 AM
Thanks - thats the exact experience and knowledge I was looking for - now that makes my decision even harder.

The 20/30hp Honda weighs 72kgs and
the 40/50hp weighs about 93kgs.

JT
04-02-2005, 03:53 PM
Hey Punt1

I have just bought a 2003 400 Hornet Trophy with a 40hp oil injected Mercury 2 stroke ;D ;D ;D. Boat has side console, underfloor fuel tank, and casting decks. I am pretty sure that the 40HP is 75kg (someone else might confirm this). I have only had it out a couple of times but two up with a full tank and fishing gear it flies (not sure how fast, no speedo or GPS yet).
I plan to raise and extend the front decks, put on a 12volt Min Kota RT55 AP electric and at least 80 litres of live well. Still think it will go well, although probably a little slow to plane.
If you can, definately go the 40HP (if transon weight allows) better to have too much power than not enough.
Hope this helps a little

Cheers

John