PDA

View Full Version : setting up new trailer

dazza
06-02-2005, 02:39 AM
Hi All,
just picked up a new trailer for my Haines 680.
Chasing info on setting up the trailer

ie how much weight on the tow ball, how do i weigh it etc etc
the boat and trailer weigh approx 2800kg depending on gear, this would be max.

the trailer is made by special trailers

neet to get it organised before the meet & greet

cheers
dazza

nofrills
07-02-2005, 05:20 PM
bump ::)

Needmorerum
07-02-2005, 05:49 PM
Dazza, for what it is worth, I have just been through this, although it was the previous owner who bought the new trailer and I don't think him or the outlet he got the trailer from new anything about setting it up, and neither did I.
It has taken me nearly 5 months to get this all right, and I am finally happy with it, I had to modify the springs as well as the set up, although I wouldn't have bought this make or model of trailer, mine's a Tinka.
I believe that there should be about 10% weight on the ball. The way I did it was weigh it at the public weigh station, I don't know where your nearest is, but there has to be one somewhere for the semi's. Drive over it so the car isn't on the weigh bridge and remove the trailer. This will give you total weight. It is preferable to do this with all the gear in it that you would normally have, along with full tanks of fuel.
Weighing the ball weight can either be done at home, if you have a set of bathroom scales that go high enough, or back on the weigh bridge. What I did was cut a length of 4x2 hardwood the same length as my tow bar is off the ground. Obviously the pendulum effect will change the weight, although not that much I wouldn't think. I then went back to the weigh bridge and took the trailer off the car so that only the jockey wheel was on the scales. I then took the car off the scales and lowered the coupling onto the length of hardwood so all weight was off the jockey wheel. This will give you the towball weight.
My trailer initially registered no weight, I actually had to stand on the trailer to pull the front down. I then went to the Marina and put the boat in the water and tied it up to the jetty for the day, took the trailer home and moved the axle assembly back. I went nearly 10 inch's all up. I put the boat back on and went back to the scales. Did this all again and was happy with the outcome. The trailer tows completly different than it did before, it is now a pleasure to tow.

Hope this is what your after, sorry I can't help you with the location of a weigh bridge, but there has to be one somewhere, maybe talk to the next truckie that you see, they will know where the public weight bridge is.

Corry

Willdoe
08-02-2005, 01:28 AM
Dazza,
A couple of years ago I picked up my 146C Haines from a dealer after they replaced my old 70 hp Merc with a 75hp. The weight difference was significant. My mate had to climb up on the nose while I pulled down to get it on the tow hitch on. If we went over 80 km/hr it started to fish tail and I was concerned it was going to flip over.

Hayman Reese suggest the toe ball weight be 10% of the total trailer weight. Check out this site. http://www.haymanreese.com.au/consumer/advice/

As a starting point I filled any rear fuel tanks and eskies etc that travel in the rear section of the boat and had nothing in the boat in front
of the axle. I have an adjustable axle locating arrangement and pulled the axle back until I could just lift the hitch without busting my back. I figure anything I put up front on a trip will add to the stability.

Its possible that the manufacturers don't take to much effort in setting the axle square to the centreline of the trailer so if you have a way of checking this it is worth doing. Otherwise mark reference points on both sides and use them as a guide to bring the axle back/forward the same amount on both sides to keep the axle square.

Hope this helps

Regards
Willdoe

dazza
08-02-2005, 03:58 AM
hi all,
thanks for the replies.
if anyone wants some entertainment Thursday will be the day. might be your opportunity to win funniest home video ;D ;D ;D
if we make it to the meet & greet, we have had success ::) ::)
cheers
dazza