PDA

View Full Version : How do you lash down fuel cans?

whiteman
20-01-2005, 07:12 AM
Interesting post the one on "how much fuel". As a follow on, if I need extra on board I have a couple of those 20 litre black plastic fuel cans from Super Cheap which are a problem to secure. They also grow rather large when they warm up and get tossed around and the excess gas needs to be manually expunged.

Any suggestions as to the best way to carry extra fuel in a less than 6m boat? Pictures would be great.

borisdog
20-01-2005, 07:25 AM
This isn't exactly what you asked but my method is to use the red plastic outboard tanks - like you use in dinghies. Get yourself a spare fuel line that clips straight to your motor and use the tanks first - Don't run them dry if you can help it. Then you can lash 'em however and wherever you want. It's much easier to handle them when they're almost empty. I have a 5m Cat with twin 60's and I use a tank each side for the initial run if I need extra fuel, say reef runs ex TSV rather than Lucinda. I find jerries to be a pain in the botty for refueling. The time when you're most likely to need the extra fuel is when it's a bit lumpier which makes the actual refueling a much harder task. Hope this helps.

seabug
20-01-2005, 07:29 AM
Hi Whiteman
I have tried having extra fuel in Jerrycans.
I did not find it successful.The boat was rocking around and fuel spilt.
Since then I use the red plastic marine fuel tanks.
If one gets down a bit you can pick your moment to change over.
If you can pick up secondhand tanks and if they are a different bayonet fitting ,your local marine dealer will be able to make up a short connection using different makes of bayonet each end to make them fit
I know they are an extra cost,but for convenience and safety they are cheap insurance.
Cheers
Seabug

mackmauler
20-01-2005, 07:48 AM
I have an occy strap arrangement, they are firm up against the side of the gunnel and a strap on top and one round the midsections to anchor points on the side pocket, depending on the emptiness at the time pic may not depict described scenario 8)

billfisher
20-01-2005, 08:33 AM
I don't know why anyone would want to carry jerry cans on a boat when portable fuel tank are available. With the jerry cans you have to pour or siphon fuel on a rocking boat, which is slow and dangerous.
You can buy brackets for the tradtionally shaped square tanks which are screwed into the floor. The newer type tanks can be stood on their side, then it just a matter of securing them upright with the best method available. You could try lashing them with bungee cords. Mine fit snugly under the fiberglass gunnels.
The extra tank(s) are also handy if you have some water contamination of the main fuel tank. This will not happen with a sealed portable tank.

seabug
20-01-2005, 08:50 AM
I should have added that it is best to release the vent screw on a spare plastic before connecting the bayonet fitting when switching between tanks ,otherwise if the tank is hot ,vapour pressure can cause fuel to jet out as the connection is made

familyman
20-01-2005, 09:43 AM
Whiteman most spin on fuel filters have multiple inlet ports one of which you could use for a second supply from a portable tank as most tank fittings are self sealing from the hose end.It would be just a matter of getting the right fittings from a hydraulics place or bias /similar.My tanks quite happily stand up when full as long as the caps are tight -no problem
good luck
jon

whiteman
21-01-2005, 06:07 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I will investigate the proper fuel tank options as gerry cans with kids on board don't mix.

And mackmauler, I can see you've been waiting for a post like this to show off the catch (bloody nice fish)!

Bashir
21-01-2005, 07:54 AM
I use jerry cans and they can be a pain in the but, mine fit snuggly in the cabin and won't go anywhere, I usually carry four of them. A portable tank isn't really an option for me, just chews up space in the cockpit, although I guess it does have its merits if you use it up on the way out wide. Filling up isn't too dangerous and my fuel flap is on the starboard walkway of the boat. A decent jiggler syphon makes the job easy.

Kerry
21-01-2005, 12:31 PM
yes I think the jerry's have the thumbs down [smiley=thumbsdown.gif] and rightly so, really not worth the effort. Either tote type tanks (and preferably metal) with a reasonable foot print so the buggers stay put on the floor or look at installing a larger tank or second tank with all the proper plumbing and works.

Cheers, Kerry.

subzero
22-01-2005, 01:19 PM
OK, just taking it one step further, I have a question, doesnt it VOID your insurance to be carrying more that 1 20L container of fuel in your car, theirfore I would also assume this would carry over to boats?
MANY rescue units will NOT carry fuel because of insurance concerns and consequently will not take spare fuel to a vessel who has run out and would rather tow them back as a result.
Interested in your replys
Cheers Lloyd

dfox
22-01-2005, 01:45 PM
Good point Lloyd, something to check out! ???
spilt fuel and the chance of a fire are a big concern.
also petrol fumes are a good way to promote sea sickness amoung the crew.
plenty to think about fellas

cooky
22-01-2005, 01:59 PM
i called an aluminum welder dude yesterday for an estimate on a fuel tank - he said he could do one around the 80 - 100 lt for around $400.

Is this fair?

I'll have to save my pennies.

James_V17L
27-01-2005, 06:34 PM
Interesting point about the insurance...I rarely carry
fuel but if I really need to I use the ol ocky straps.
Obviously..NO SMOKING!!!!

Dignity
29-01-2005, 07:29 AM
Interestingly some time ago when I checked the 20l limit of fuel also applied to my home insurance. I usually buy my fuel for the boat as I need it in jerry cans mainly as fuel used to be cheaper on wed/thur nights and go up for the weekends. Changed a bit with the prices at the moment but I still find it easier as I find that with the bowsers I have to put it in so slowly other wise I get a lot of blow back. Is this a common problem or do I need to identify why my boat does this.

Sam

whiteman
29-01-2005, 08:08 AM
Dignity, same problem. I use fuel cans to fill my boat 95% of the time and can now just about fill the tank. At the bowser, I'm lucky to get 80% full before it starts blowing out the back (on a Quinnie).

I went to a 4x4 store yesterday for some stuff and saw a fuel can bracket ($45) which could easily attach to the inside of the boat to secure a 20l can.

My boat insurance does not mention carrying fuel cans.

Dignity
31-01-2005, 06:29 AM
Whiteman, offshore I use about 1L per Km, with a 200L tank so I generally have enough range. Think I should manage Mr Moo's proposed Hinchinbrook/Palm Island trip with out jerries.

Sam

Sportfish_5
31-01-2005, 12:42 PM
And mackmauler, I can see you've been waiting for a post like this to show off the catch (bloody nice fish)!

Whiteman - Probably more the case that Rob had to look through his numerous pics to find one of a billie looking at the jerry can lol

Cheers

Greg

Dignity
01-02-2005, 02:32 PM
I liked Rob's pic but is that rocket launcher inset into his gunwhale?

whiteman
02-02-2005, 06:59 AM
Dignity, Mr Moo and my boat are almost exactly the same so we'll run out of fuel within shouting distance of each other (his beer gut is compensated by my 2 kids when it comes to weight on board!). I like the sound of living dangerously so I'll get 100L into my tank and cruise @ 24 knots which will give me a range of EXACTLY 160km. I think his tour is 150km so that's plenty of margin for error! ;)

Dignity
07-02-2005, 03:04 PM
Thanks Whiteman, I did some pretty rough calcs when I first saw his itenary and I thought the first leg was about 90k and the second about 150k. Like I said I did a really rough calc. Will have to do some finer tuning of my cals as the only charts I currently have of the area are grampa marine park ones.

As Mr Moo is strictly a rum drinker I'm not sure it is a beer gut, reckon it is all the diet coke that goes into his rum.

whiteman
08-02-2005, 08:42 AM
Dignity

Col came around last night (2 x rum n cola) with videos of recent trips. Really good stuff, particularly the Ellerton Beach trips of 2003/4. I'm not sure I want to put my brand new Prado through this ordeal yet although the destination looks very good (how does Col tow that trailer/boat through that stuff?). I'm gunna do a couple of practice runs with the kids to see if they'll handle a couple of days of bush bashing before I commit to a 10-day trip.

Dignity
08-02-2005, 03:09 PM
I think we have moved off boating and into 4wd territory - will PM you about his trips

Sam