PDA

View Full Version : Bilge pump qestions

devocean
11-02-2005, 08:02 AM
After almost sinking boat the other day realised cant bail water effectively due to false floor. Decided to install a Bilge pump. Was just wondering if anyone has any dos or donts or any advice before I attempt to put it in.

Cheers Devocean

QldKev
11-02-2005, 09:03 AM
I recommend buy 2 units, each with a large flow.
Wire then individually to the battery via switches.
Keep the wiring as simple as possible, dont include it into your main wiring harness. Use decent quality wire as you need good insulation under water.
Not sure of the size of your boat, but regargless I wouldn't touch anything under 500gal/h

NQCairns
11-02-2005, 09:22 AM
Devo this might help with choices

http://www.powerboat-reports.com/sample/bilge.html

dnej
11-02-2005, 09:27 AM
Make sure the units have a stainless steel shaft, and dont assume the pump impellor is working, simply because the motor is humming .
I have one permanently installed, and one I made up as a portable unit, that I plug in.

If you are staying overnight, a float switch can be a good investment. I have just installed one of these.
David

Needmorerum
11-02-2005, 06:10 PM
Make sure you get the marine grade wiring, it is higher quality and isn't as susceptable to corrosion as the auto grade.

Corry

SeaHunt
12-02-2005, 01:10 PM
And if possible check it works before you go out each time.
Mine is under a lift off panel in the floor and I turn it on for a second and watch it spin befor I go.

Dexterity
13-02-2005, 04:04 AM
Devocean,

I highly recommend the Atwood bilge pump range. I have had my bilge pump accidently running dry for over half an hour and didn't even phased it. Bilge pumps are one of the most important accessories on your boat so if you can afford the better quality unit like the Atwoods I would definitely make the investment.

Dex

devocean
13-02-2005, 01:54 PM
Well put her in today works a treat got one with stainless steel shaft runs dry without hurting it. Cant complain pumps like a spa

finga64
14-02-2005, 12:01 PM
good idea to give a flush with fresh/soapy water when ever you wash the boat to get rid of the salt water from around the shaft ;)

devocean
14-02-2005, 04:16 PM
Nice finga didnt think of that

davo
17-02-2005, 02:56 AM
Which ever pump you buy look for a UL listing on it. The Rule brand pumps have this and are rated to run in an explosive atmosphere.

One of the blokes at work actually had his bilge pump blow up in the boat :o

On a normal tinnie I would go for a Rule 1500 GPH as a minimum. It amazing how long it takes to pump them out. I used that size and model in both my prior tinnies. I"ve even got one a little 360GPH one on the punt for prawning.