PDA

View Full Version : Under seat storage boxes

steve_n
09-02-2005, 03:47 PM
Has anyone made their own storage boxes for under the helm seats in a cuddy? I've got a Signature 540f and reckon the space under the seats could be used better than the pedestals. I've seen them advertised but theyr'e pricey and all one size fits all.
just interested in any suggestions. Dont like paying for something I can build myself.
Kind Regards
Steve

familyman
09-02-2005, 04:44 PM
Steve that was my first project on the new boat.It had the same problem with the pedestals.I made up 2 boxes to suit height and space requirements from 19 mm construction ply with sealed backs (toward the outside hull) and open fronts with a hinge door of lexan.The portside box holds 2 batteries and starboard side was made big enough for a chemical toilet which now lives under the bunk infill.
Make 'em strong if you are going to put seats on top as the leverage in any kind of sea is huge.will get a photo tomorrow and post if I remember ;D

regards jon

familyman
17-02-2005, 12:34 PM
Steve sorry about the delay in photos but here they are .They will give you a starting point cause lord knows the minute I finished them I thought of better designs with foot rests etc.Good luck ,take your time and get them right for what you need ;D ::)

familyman
17-02-2005, 12:36 PM
and the battery box
cheers jon

dnej
17-02-2005, 01:31 PM
I made mine out of aluminium,straight front,with smal door opening,& sloping back , no access.( facing the stern)

Top is open, and seat swivels on a plate, that forms a lid. Lid and seat tilt on a hinge. The lid, made of plate aluminium, is cliped down and lockable.
Under the lid , I built in a shelf , to form a small box section, to store stuff I want to lock up, & or keep dry.Have one of these on each seat. So I tilt the seat forward, to access the smaller storage area, under.
Facing my cabin, there is an small door opening, to get access to the lower section, where I store flares,etc
Must take som pics some day.
David

aido
17-02-2005, 02:09 PM
there's a mob called boatbox that seems to make some beauties.
wish they could make a proper catalogue with prices.
http://www.boatbox.com.au/

steve_n
17-02-2005, 03:26 PM
Nice pics jon. How did you attach the seat posts and what holds the boxes to the floor? I reckon you could build in one of those tackle box tray holders with the hinged door or even a fold out single burner stove with a bit of flameproofing and thought. :-/ :-/ ;D
The aluminium boxes sound like they would take a bit of nouse to build David.

familyman
17-02-2005, 04:44 PM
Steve the seat posts are cut into the top with a hole saw and glued to the next timber underneath with polyester resin.Just drill some shallow holes within the size of your seat post to give the resin some grip.It only needs to stop side ways movement at the bottom of the post.The boxes are screwed and sikaflexed to the floor but the sikaflex does most of the holding.Given the room and forethought I would have made them longer fore and aft to strengthen them against pitching loads like in a sea.Maybe next time.... ;)
chers jon

Dignity
17-02-2005, 05:26 PM
Jon, what a great idea, here I was thinking had to throw the pedestals out when all you have to do is leave them there and build around them. Will rethink my ideas on what I was going to do.

Cheers Sam

Heath
18-02-2005, 03:46 AM
Jon, what a great idea, here I was thinking had to throw the pedestals out when all you have to do is leave them there and build around them. #Will rethink my ideas on what I was going to do.

Cheers Sam

Same here, has got my brain ticking now as well. ;D

dnej
18-02-2005, 04:58 AM
In regards to the aluminium, contact Capral, they cut the sheet to certain sizes. 3 or 4 mm thick, would do you.

Use a jig saw with metal blade to cut to your shape. Get it all ready, and rip down to your local aluminium welding guy, to put it together.
David

whiteman
18-02-2005, 08:02 AM
I must be missing something because it looks like the pedestals are cut off inside the box.

familyman
18-02-2005, 05:20 PM
Whiteman that is correct, the posts are cut off and supported by the divider in the battery box and by double 19mm ply in the bucket box.
cheers jon