PDA

View Full Version : VHF radio course in brisbane

magicpudding
15-02-2005, 06:22 AM
Given the recent topic about vhf radios, i thought i'd probably best get my a into g and get a license. Does anyone know of a place IN brisbane that does vhf courses? I live on the western suburbs, so its too hard for me to trip accross to the bay or mooloolaba (member) for 5 consecutive wednesday nights. Alternatively, is there somewhere near brisbane that does the course in one weekend?

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers, CJ

dnej
15-02-2005, 09:01 AM
I think VMR at Jacobs Well do them from time to time.
David

DR
15-02-2005, 10:11 AM
get in touch with Lloyd 'Subzero' on this board. he runs them for vic. point VMR. just finishing one tomorrow night. only takes 2 nights. i think there was a few that missed out on this course so there may be some more that are interested to make up the numbers for another one..

reScuE_RanGEr
15-02-2005, 05:08 PM
It may have changed, but you used to be able to just purchase the manual, learn the material yourself and then go to a place in brisbane to sit the exam. The stuff in the book that you need to know is marked with a diamond so you will find that most courses will just read you through the book anyway. Check in with the ACA to find out where in Brisbane you can go to sit the exam.

bungie
15-02-2005, 05:38 PM
Read it online here

http://www.amcom.amc.edu.au/handbook/

and anybody doing the exam, I recommend you use this to help revise http://www.amcom.amc.edu.au/examinations/questions_exam_revision.pdf

brenmer
15-02-2005, 09:03 PM
Does anyone know if having a radio operator’s licence for Aviation VHF credits you for a marine licence??

MulletMan
16-02-2005, 06:19 AM
Nah Brenmer, they won't recognize an aviation radio licence unfortunately.
Some clerk reckons that flying aeroplanes is different to driving boats and the incredible reason the guy gave me when I enquired some years back was "Oh, but you wouldn't have used batteries in aeroplanes would you?" Sigh!!!!!!!!!!

MulletMan
16-02-2005, 06:21 AM
Drop Lloyd Finn an email at:
llfinn@optusnet.com.au
He is king of the radio courses and will look after you

magicpudding
16-02-2005, 06:21 AM
Thanks for that, I'll get in contact with ACA for the exam in brisbane, failing that i'll do the viccy point course.

Cheers, CJ

brenmer
16-02-2005, 11:46 AM
Thanks Commodore ::)

whichway
16-02-2005, 05:58 PM
Many VMR or Coast Guard (never could work out the difference) also do these courses on a Sunday. I think the next one is not til April or May.

Regards Whichway

subzero
17-02-2005, 03:41 PM
Magicpuding, check general post within the next hour or so

Dnej, I think most if not all units run them, the trick is get enough people interested and available at the same time to make it worthwhile, people should phone their nearest VMR, Coastguard or Royal coastal Patrol to register an expression of interest, preferably when doing so organise 1 or 2 of your mates to do it at the same time, you wont need to wait so long if the numbers are up

Rescue Ranger, their is ABSOLUTELY NO REQUIREMENT to do a course to enable you to sit for your certificate, many people dont, and pass with flying colours. If available, and free, I would however recomend that option.
To find a list of online invigilators (people who have authority from the Office of Maritime Comunications to issue and oversee the test), go to http://www.amcom.amc.edu.au/invigilators/
BE VERY CAREFULL, discuss fee first, the test ALONE can be as much as between $150-00 to $180-00, yes not a typo, thats what some do charge and I believe the ACA do charge very highly. (Some invigilators will do it for nothing if you ring around).

As Bungie said check out the links above to study online

Commodore, planes have batterys, I thought they used solar power ;)

Whichway, no difference at all really, basicly beuracracy and in fighting seperated the 2 years ago and to this day heirarchy on both sides cant get their heads around actualy working together. I am being a little harsh, but quite frankly we are ALL volunteers and I couldnt care less what they called us as long as the structure of both groups melded together totally, training was standardised and improved, and Governments both Federal and State started paying for the services that they expect us to offer. Most of the Sh8tKick#rs down the bottom feel pretty let down when the expectations of us are so high, threat of liability hangs over us, and yet the financial and training support is so little... ooohhh to be treated like most other rescue groups throughout the world and be assisted with training by the Navy etc.... had my bitch, now where was I? :o >:(

Next course Sat 26th Feb, VMR Victoria Point
Contact me to book
lloyd@vmr.org.au
Mobile 0403539485

Cheers Lloyd

blue_rogue
19-02-2005, 07:49 AM
What do you want a license for....